1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

IFAK and travel carry ons

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by IndianaGeo, Nov 4, 2016.

1. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Loaded Pockets

Hi All,
    I'll be off traveling in a couple of weeks for about 4 days (UK to another European country) and have been kitting out a 5.11 R72 for that trip. Whilst I've traveled with typical travel bag style carry ons before (like Filson for example), I've never considered taking an IFAK with a backpack before as I would like to this time with the R72. My concern, of course, is whether the contents of an IFAK will make it through security given that it'll likely have scissors or other quasi-sharp objects and potentially various liquids in it. I know I can bring liquids of less than 100ml's in a plastic bag of 20cm x 20cm in a carry on but not sure of any of the other items within a typical IFAK. Does anyone have any experience with this? Have you encountered issues at security? Does anyone have any tips in this scenario or recommendations as to a pre-prepared IFAK that would suit?
    Thanks much.

IG

2. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

I regularly bring scissors in my IFAK through security, a blade less than 3 inches I think and rounded tips. My IFAK doesn't have anything else challenging but as you state all liquids and creams etc to be less than 100ml (less than a total of 1l for all) go into a bag. Needles or sutures may raise queries I guess but I've never had any problems. I guess it depends what the contents of your IFAK are.

3. IndianaGeo

IndianaGeo Loaded Pockets

Thanks Scoman. That's good to know. What I'd bring is dependent on what I can get through the airport. If, as you say, scissors are okay then that's a relief to me as that's pretty standard in such kits. I'll either be purchasing a pre-made kit, or building one of my own. If it's pre-made, then I may have to take out the stuff that I wouldn't be able to get through security. If I build my own, then I can only buy what I can get through. I've never been faced with this before (in terms of an IFAK). I just don't want any hassles and delays at the airport and security forcing me to toss something in the bin. Thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated.

IG

4. rbent

rbent Loaded Pockets

Follow the liquids rule, but I haven't had any issues flying with trauma shears on the FAK. Normal list of TQ, Durapore tape, kerlix, combat gauze, gloves, and assorted other goodies.

5. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

I fly regularly to the EU. On and off. JFK to Brussels & London then within the EU. JFK to Europe has never been a problem with a small pair of scissors etc.. Flying the other way I have had twice small scissors confiscated. Depending on the security guy/gal. What did get checked was the meds in the IFAK . Always as an afterthought, but they did it. As long as you have all prescription meds stored the way they should be you are OK. I stopped using a plastic container and started keeping OTC meds in the original packaging. Imodium looks mighty suspicious :) in a clear plastic container right next to the pink benadryl. Liquids have never been an issue. What peaked the curiosity was the tourniquet . My Ifak lives in a white Kifaru pullout . Just toss the entire pullout in a plastic bag and on top of my travel bag in the tray.

6. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

London Gatwick security is a bit of a toss up what you'll get through; We flew from there to Aberdeen and when we arrived my wife found the set of darts that I'd put in her handbag the night before to save me carrying them. Security had completely missed them.
    Flying to Turkey from Gatwick I had a pair of scissors confiscated out of a FAK - they were round tipped, about 1" blades and I struggle to think how even the most hardened Jihadi could bring down an Airbus with a pair.
    Still, it keeps some of the most charmless people going in a job I suppose.

Jules and Rich73 like this.
  7. Timlugia

Timlugia Loaded Pockets

I usually have check in, so I just took out shear for the flight.