1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

If you haven't tried one of the alox SAKs

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Gatsby, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

I highly recommend checking them out! I just received a Classic and a Cadet in alox and am very impressed with the appearance and fit/finish of these little knives - but mostly i'm impressed with how thin they are. The Cadet compared to a similar two layer Spartan with plastic handles is roughly half the thickness. They truly just disappear into your pocket and they are really beautifully finished. I can live without the toothpick and tweezers which I almost never use on my other SAKs (find the tweezers to not be quite grippy enough and the toothpick, well, just never found a use for that!) in exchange for the lighter weight and reduced profile.

I've had SAKs since I was a kid and old enough to have a knife (Still have my first - a camper that my dad gave me and I'll pass on to my son) and they have been utterly reliable if not particularly exotic or tacticool, but these alox models take them to a whole new level as far as EDC items!

And the 3" size of the Cadet is also a new one for me - and the slightly shorter body is about perfect - still a good size blade (the only issue I have with my otherwise excellent MiniChamp) but that small length difference translates into a much more comfortable pocket presence.

2. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

seconded.

Though I prefer the full size soldier/ pioneer to the cadet, just is nicer in the hand and more capable for larger tasks.

3. sabongero

sabongero Loaded Pockets

Thirded! I edc a Soldier (10 years) and it takes a beating!

4. sandmountainslim

sandmountainslim Empty Pockets

The Alox knives are nice looking and all but.......I use the toothpick and tweezers as much as anything on a SAK so I cannot foresee getting the Alox version.
    Wp

5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I agree.
    [​IMG]

Not pictured are my three red Farmers.

6. Uncle Zungle

Uncle Zungle Loaded Pockets

I agree also

[​IMG]

7. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

I got a silver Cadet recently and really like it. Just looks and feels so much nicer than the regular plastic.

8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I also like the alox SAK's. My favorite is the Soldier. I also have a blue alox farmer that I keep in my truck.

9. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

Picked up two today. The ALOX classic and the solider. It only raises the question, why don't they put the scales on more of their tools? These things blow the plastic away in grip and durability.

10. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Even better than the scales, is that the Soldier/Pioneer/Farmer blades are thicker than in cellidor models, therefore more capable of hard performance (relatively speaking, considering the soft SAK steel).

After owning and using Soldiers and Farmers, I completely stopped looking for other SAKs.

11. rooikat

rooikat Empty Pockets

Can someone post a pic of the cadet and soldier side-by-side?
    I am wondering about the size difference. I recently bought one of the small tinkers, which reignited my interest in SAK's.

12. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

From left to right: Classic, Bantam, Cadet, Solo, Soldier, and Farmer. The Cadet is an 84 mm, the Soldier is 93 mm. Fair difference in weight, too.

[img width=640 height=427]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/dkevinb/EDC/AloxSAKssmall.jpg[/img]

Kevin B.

13. landylux

landylux Empty Pockets

I edc the soldier very often. Wether from Victorinox or from Wenger, both are great knives!

[img width=640 height=455]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc300/landylux/IMG_7087900.jpg[/img]

14. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

Electrician Plus is my dress knife.

Pete

15. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget Loaded Pockets

I am a habitual nail biter (I know...nasty) therefore I can't open the blades without using my teeth and hence avoid saks and the like, but that red alox looks awesome. :gimme:

16. Corso

Corso Loaded Pockets

proud pioneer owner myself - perfect EDC for the UK (great Country run by muppets) fixed a pocket clip to mine so i can hang a firesteel and LED light off it

never realised the cadet was that bit smaller than the Soldier - might have to get myself one of those in Red :)