1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

If you go to Switzerland, what watches are worthwhile checking out and buying?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by lotusleaf1987, Mar 1, 2009.

1. lotusleaf1987

lotusleaf1987 Loaded Pockets

Hi, I'm wondering what watches other than the Obvious BVLGARI and OMEGA Swiss watch makers would people recommend if you're visiting Switzerland, are there and Micro-swiss watch batch makers akin to micro brew beers in America? Thanks I'm very uninformed on the topic, not usually into watches per se but "when in Rome." you know?

2. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

Swiss watch makers number in the hundreds. Probably 30 or so that most people would recognize. See list:
    Swiss Watches

Switzerland is a great place to visit, but as you probably know, among the most expensive. Also, watch shoppers get a big surprise when they find out that the watches generally cost more in Switzerland than they do in the U.S. Savings if any are small. This does not rule out finding a bargain on occasion, but don't expect to save big bucks on most brands.

Don't forget import fees and duty. Unless you plan to "sneak" your new watch back into the country you will be charged. This can be significant on an expensive watch. Also, be careful if you will driving through or visiting other countries. France, especially is very good at finding your new treasure and charging import fees to bring it into France.

Good shopping and most of all enjoy Switzerland!

Mark

3. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Sounds like good advice, Mark. Thanks for that.

4. Seiko

Seiko Empty Pockets

When I did a tour in France back in the mid 90's I made the trip to Biel to look at the Omega store, and also up to Schafhausen for IWC. On a E4 pay I sure couldn't afford anything but it was well worth the trip. IWC had a neat little museum showing their watches back to the 1870's.

Like Phaeton said, it will most likely be cheaper to buy the watch in the US. But going to the store allows you to actually hold and get a feel for what you might like.
    Its almost hard not to go into any sized Swiss town and not have a watch maker or five located there.

Don't know of your destinations but I think it would be a crime not to go to Interlaken when visiting.

5. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your service, Seiko!

6. lotusleaf1987

lotusleaf1987 Loaded Pockets

Re: If you go to Switzerland, what watches are worthwhile checking out and buyin

Thanks for all of your advice, I just plan on stopping through when I go to Copenhagen! It will be an epic vacation I cannot wait. But all of that is enlightening, but I think I am happy to know there are a handful of watchmakers in each town because Seiko Omega etc are nice, but I want something that you have to go there to get. Something like French Champagne or cheese.

7. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

i've got no recommendations for watches to look for, but if you have the time and are in geneva you must check out the patek philippe museum. You will be blown away.