1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

If you could take elements from other bags to make THE ULTRA SUPERIOR PERFECT PACK....

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by CANNIBALdinner., Oct 18, 2015.

1. leaky5

leaky5 Loaded Pockets

Latest bag finished and over here now - https://www.edcforums.com/threads/latest-bag-made.136088/

soulknight likes this.
  2. soulknight

soulknight Loaded Pockets

I am partial to Camelbak HAWG. I own 3; 2013 model with the PALS webbing, the 2015 with laser cut MOLLE and the model prior to the 2013 with the short admin pocket, of which the 2013 model is my favorite. I personally think the form & fit of the HAWGs are great.

I prefer the PALS style webbing over the laser cut because it's more pliable if you want to tuck small tools, flashlights or glow sticks in the slots. I also like the full length admin pocket but it has a lot of wasted space.

What would I change?
    Starting with the admin pocket: the rear sleeve pocket needs to be nearly full length to accommodate folders or magazines, I'd like to see 2 or 3 rows of MOLLE across the top of the inside to add your own pockets as needed. The 5.11 Rush 12 actually has better organization in the admin pocket.

Main Compartment:
    The should be a sleeve for a small laptop. Along with that, some light padding on the bottom for said laptop. I know the HAWG is not a computer bag but it would still be nice to be able to transport one when needed.

Stash Pocket:
    This should be moved from the top of the admin compartment to the top of the main compartment and increased in size a little. This is where I my eye protection (Wiley-X Romer3) with case and additional lenses & tactical gloves. It's a tight fit in it's current configuration and could definitely be better.

Outside of pack:
    Fold-away water bottle pockets large enough for a 32oz Nalgene bottle on either side. I know the HAWG is a hydration pack but water bottles are more socially acceptable in urban environments whereas the the hydration bladder is better when hiking or in the move elsewhere. The additional pockets could also be used as dump pockets. I would also like to see the return of MOLLE on the sides. A couple ice axe/tomahawk loops would be useful. The only thing I would change for the straps would be adding enough MOLLE so one could attach a small 2-way radio pocket or knife sheath. Finally, 1000D nylon on the bottom for added protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCPOWoller and Myrddraal like this.
  3. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

My ideal edc pack:

1)take a Goruck gr2 and scale it down to about 25L. No, I don't mean a GR1, I mean a GR2 that is about 17-18" tall and 6 or 7" deep but still has 2 compartments.

2)change the built. In field pocket in the outside compartment to be an actual admin organizer

3)pit compression straps on it.

That would be a kickass bag imo.

4. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

HAHA... have you seen the Alpha One Niner's Evade? With a computer in it, it feels like a 24-25L.

5. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Yeah, on paper an Evade nearly fits this description, and is a well thought out bag. For some reason though, the shape/styling of the bag just doesn't really appeal to me.

6. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

If I could take the shoulder straps off a kelty map 3500 and put them on a Camelbak HAWG 2013 I would have the perfect bag. It is the only thing I don't like about the Camelbak HAWG. I have one in Foliage and love everything about it except those shoulder straps.

7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

8. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

Composed the reply even before read this:

For me personally, the lack of internal organization is not a big deal, nor a problem. Just few minutes sewing by machine or by hand (Exploriment as example), and pack is ready to accomodate Matroskya-style pouches, or insert/panel of some sort, or padded laptop sleeve (ready-made, to say).

Outer look is the same thing. Sew attachment points for beavertail, or put a ready available beavertail (made by OV Innovations, or Mystery Ranch, or TAD, or Kifaru, or smb else) on existing PALs - and all is done. Same with compression straps.

9. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Well, crap. My posts are all gone. So here it is again.

Camelbak fabric
    Goruck shoulder straps
    concealable external water bottle pockets
    Vanquest's orange interior
    Vertx little zipper mesh pockets all throughout the interior
    absolutely nothing compatibility with a water bladder
    5.11 Rush "18" -style sizing and general set up
    Very little if any external PALS webbing and likely concealable like Vertx Gamut's

Rainy likes this.
  10. Matteblack

Matteblack Loaded Pockets

For my purpose, and maximum blending, I would say a cross between the Mulholland Brothers waxed canvas rucksack (great side pockets with flap, top flap with buckles and waxed canvas), and the Easton Gamegetter (great shoulder straps, waist strap, decent organization, and air channels against back for comfort) + hydration compatible

That would do it for me, and would look pretty mainstream....