1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

If you could only carry one piece of gear.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Ominousanonymous, May 11, 2016.

?

If you could only choose one.

1. Knife

36.5%
  2. Light

5.9%
  3. Multitool

56.5%
  4. Prybar/Pocket Tool

1.2%
  1. bob_the_bomb

bob_the_bomb Loaded Pockets

Interesting question. I never leave home without my wallet and my SAK Huntsman, which is literally tied to my belt, even if at times I've managed to leave my house without my watch or even my phone. So by definition it would have to be my SAK, or else I'm carrying the wrong thing. It being an EDC question and not a 'what's the thing you always take hiking?' question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. meds081603
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

meds081603 Loaded Pockets

As much as I love spyderco...if I could only have one item I'd take a Ka-bar.

TMW89 likes this.
  3. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

My Wave would probably be the one thing I grabbed. I'd be able to improvise a lot with that single tool.

sungame likes this.
  4. Foulwind

Foulwind Loaded Pockets

My Mini-mag is always on my belt. So much so that its sheath has torn on one side down about an inch. The stiches came loose. I thing I'll sow back up now....

5. Bedlam

Bedlam Loaded Pockets

Interesting how many of us would go for a knife, given you can arguably do more with a multitool - guess it comes from what you're used to.

I'd go multitool, Charge TTi I reckon.

karlito and sungame like this.
  6. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

It was a toss up between a knife and a multitool. Then I realized I used a knife more often than I ever did the multitool.

7. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

A knife (blade) is certainly the one tool I use most frequently. However, I also use screwdrivers quite often, and sometimes need other implements like pliers, scissors or a saw.

With a dedicated knife, you can carry a very good knife, but it is not very good as a screwdriver.With a multitool, you get to carry a quite decent knife, and you get screwdrivers and other tools, too!

karlito and WillAdams like this.
  8. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Even though a multitool is more functional, i'd probably stick with the swiss army knife. I currently carry the Huntsman everyday in addition to a Skeletool and Surge, but if i was down to just one, i'd probably go back to carrying my Swiss Champ XLT...i've improvised many solutions with that thing over the years.

A.B. likes this.
  9. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

You carry 2 Leatherman's? Bit overkill in my opinion.

You know what? I don't...

10. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I actually have a leatherman Style CS on my keychain as well :)

I switched from exclusively carrying the Swiss Champ XLT to a combo of the Huntsman and Skeletool. Because of the pocket clip, locking blade and one hand operation, the skeletool is just much easier to deal with than the SAK for regular knife usage, the pliers are 100 times better than the tiny ones on my SAK, and the screwdriver is decent, although with less bits.

the surge is mostly unnecessary since most of the tools i already have on either the Skeletool or the huntsman. However, while the skeletool pliers are great for a pocket knife, they are fairly light duty compared to actual pliers. I could probably drop the surge from my belt and be ok 95% of the time, but i don't really mind having it on my belt, and sometimes it is really handy to have 2 pairs of pliers on you. The sheath also holds my precision screwdriver and a mini sharpie marker, which are both quite handy as well. The surge feels like an actual tool when you use it. It is heavy and robust and i've never felt like i was going to damage it, i can't say the same about the swiss army knives and the skeletool.

A.B. likes this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I like Saks. Almost always carry one. Plus a fixed blade. But for hard use tools I use hard use tools. I can get a great deal of tools for the price of a Leatherman. I can't carry them all on my belt but why would I? 9 out of 10 times a knife or the stuff on the SAK is enough.

12. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

The one piece of gear I would choose would be my vanquest pocket maximizer, stuffed to the gills with flashlight, multitool, knife and more.:bounce:

Seriously though, the answer would depend on what I had on my keychain, which right now is a SAK Classic, a Nite Ize Doohickey, and a Nitecore Tube, all pretty capable in their own right

A.B. likes this.
  13. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Still a good fixed blade. And a lighter. But I always have 2 of them on my person. And a folder. And... Kind of a weird question to ask on this forum...

14. HyPnOtIk

HyPnOtIk Loaded Pockets

It would probably be a bigger sized folder for me.

15. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Knife. Besides the basics (wallet, phone, keys, handgun), its all I carry on me.