1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

If you can give one advice...

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Southpaw, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

To a fellow EDC'er, current or new regarding EDC, what would it be? The type of advice can be broad. It can be philosophical, financial, usage, about knives, lights, sharpening, materials, do's and don'ts etc. Open book here. The goal is to have a bunch of useful (or not), funny, informational, and creative advice to share based on your experience. And it doesn't have to be one advice. :)

Here's mine:

1) Don't forget that Edc is about helping you solve a problem, not just collecting things because they're nice looking.

2) Just Bc it's expensive doesn't mean it's better. Gshocks and Saddlebacks aren't expensive but they're quality products.

3) If you like it, no matter the price point, then I guess it's worth it :) as long as you as GENUINELY like it. :)

2. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

I'll echo what you said about buying something to use, not collect.
    Sure, we all collect certain things, but dont buy something that youre scared to use and get messed up.

I'd tell someone to not cheap out, buy quality once and be done.
    Too many buy some garbage light or knife and then get bummed when it breaks, THEN buying the nice piece.
    Just get something quality (as you said, doesnt mean it has to be super expensive to be quality) and use the heck out of it.

Also, I'd probably tell a new person to not get caught up in the "End of the World" mindset and carrying enough in their pockets to survive three days during a nuclear blast or something.
    Youre going to your office job/class/whatever, do you really need half a dozen blades, three lights, two extra mags, five ways to start a fire etc on you?
    Sometimes the best "EDC" is the most basic but well used
    If I dont use something each day, or at least every other day, then it comes out of my pockets. Maybe it'll go in a bag, maybe, but Im not keeping bulky pockets over an unused item.

But these are just my opinions.

3. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

I might share something I only recently learned myself: any advantages a large folding knife has over a small one, are usually the same advantages that are better served by a fixed blade (one exception might be if you want to pocket-carry a dedicated fighting/defense knife). Don't get me wrong—I love my holy grail Spydie, my PM2, but I'm having difficulty coming up with excuses to carry it. When it comes to EDC, I'd rather have something taking up less space in the pocket. And for big or difficult cutting jobs, or for wilderness survival purposes, I'd rather reach for a more robust fixed blade.

4. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

I want to go back on my post and elaborate further.
    i am on here some and see some of the awesome stuff being carried and am like "wow, thats a lot stuffed into that altoids tin!" or "man, thats a sick 400$ blade!" but then I know in the back of my mind I'd never want to beat on a 400$ knife or want to carry an altoids tin in my pocket all of the time.
    That said, everyone is different and situations are different.
    I work in retail part time (full time college student), my job requires a LOT of moving around. Reaching high, squating low, climbing up ladders/scaffolding etc - the less in my pockets the better! I dont like bulky/bulging pockets.

But do what fits YOU.
    I guess thats the ultimate advice I can give. Screw the rest of folks and what they are carrying, carry what will fit YOUR needs etc Aint got to keep up with the Jones' and so on.

MrOG, Bedlam, GatorMedic and 4 others like this.
  5. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

Use it or lose it. I.e. If you don't use it regularly, it gets bumped from pockets to a bag. If it doesn't get used a bit more than occasionally, it gets bumped to a drawer. If it doesn't get used, sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

To follow what Stutz was saying..ultimately, Less is More. Carryability was something I had to find out with time. I hated bulky pockets. And the smaller and slimmer my items got, the better.

And to follow ItsHardToKnow's post, believe me, I went throw that experience of buying expensive knives. Don't get me wrong, they were great knives, I just couldn't use them to their potential. Just couldn't. There's a reason why you see so many Sebenzas and Hinderers for sale.

7. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Be prepared.

Be prepared to use the stuff you’re carrying.
    Be prepared to have some money left for unexpected occasions after you buy gear.
    Be prepared to leave stuff behind.
    Be prepared to explain to your partner why something is needed, and why it’s better to get the quality item even if you don’t have much money.

Need to go cooking now. Perhaps I’ll come back with a few more. ;)

8. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Be prepared to spend the next week to 10 days living in the garage/shed/yard/ or at least sleeping on the couch, when the afore mentioned explaining doesn't work after you already purchased the item.

;) :p

9. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

My thougt is : I fyou can carry if, carry it. That's why I have a lot of tools, because I can :p
    Ho and buy quality. Doesn't mean expensive, just quality. To me, the inexpensive SRM knives are awesome, Ganzo too.
    And buy a a block of green compound before spending 200€ on stones, and put the compound on a piece of cardboard.

Last edited by Gilatabar, Jan 11, 2015
    Cobra 6 Actual and Stutz like this.
  10. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

Quality over quantity!

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

11. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Influence those around you in a positive way. Be generous and kind unreservedly. Live and let live.

Bedlam, GatorMedic, karlito and 4 others like this.
  12. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

slightly off topic, but if you have teenage kids...after the Mumbai, India terrorist attack, a friend that is a SOCOM contractor brought up the question of which EDC items might be recommended to overseas accompanied military families (especially juveniles)... something to help them reach safe haven in case they were in a some type of event that scattered the family members without communication... basically to get back to an embassy or military base... at the time I was teaching two Chem I classes (juniors and seniors) and used them as my lab rats....a half dozen NJROTC kids were in each class, and even then they were pretty definite on how much they would tolerate to carry...at the time the neck lanyards with athletic logo was in style for keys... not so much the stainless bead chain... what they said they would accept was a small whistle, small flashlight, container fob with emergency taxi cash, and a dog tag with important contact and emergency medical information

13. Mike R

Mike R Loaded Pockets

Keep in mind that no matter how useful and convenient you know it is to carry item X every day, most other people aren't going to get it.

And there's nothing wrong with carrying something for fun, but sometimes I have to remind myself to carry for function - an SAK is easier for me to edc and will cover more of what I'm likely to encounter day-to-day than a 3 1/2" folder.

xbanker, Treya, Octane957 and 5 others like this.
  14. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Along the lines of Southpaw: Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's better. Even if I could afford a $350 knife, keychain, pen or backpack, I'm not sure it's going to be any better than the $80-$100 Spyderco or Camelbak HAWG.

15. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

you need to be able to Use it, Lose it, Break it, Afford it and Replace it.

Buy best QUALITY you can afford. (with ease, as too expensive to replace makes it too expensive to use)
    THINK what you really need before buying. (Just wanting it is not good enough excuse)
    LEARN about it as much as you can before buying, all positives and negatives and re-think.
    Learn to separate the difference of NEED and WANT.
    Learn and know HOW TO use it. (also teach people closest to you to use them aswell)
    PRACTICE and TRAIN with it time to time so you dont "forget".
    Have a BACKUP plan for it.

If you replace previous one with new, make sure that it really is so much better than one before that you are justified to get it. a minor upgrade rarely is worth it. its just your WANT side acting up not the smart NEED side. have a use for the old one (as backup or something) or sell/donate it away to someone whom might need it.

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I totallly agree. #3 strikes me as I have that thought just yesterday when I liked a post that has something like a MaxPerdition product. (I have personal guidelines regarding liking posts :))
    While I'm not a fan, when I read that a Member is excited to have recived theirs in the mail, I was happy for them. Not because of the brand but because they are happy.
    Its not about a brand, its about what serves you well, or what makes you happy.

17. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

Yeah, I never really understood the purpose of owning 3 or 4 of basically the same blade.

I think the single most posted statement is: Separate the difference of NEEDS and WANTS.

I usually only purchase a "new" (I use the BST so more often than not it's used but not abused) knife/light/watch etc., if I've sold or re-gifted the old one. Usually replaced with the same style (with a twist) that I once owned.

It makes it fun and justifiable. But most of us aren't looking for justifiable when buying something new. LOL

Cheers,
    FACE

18. OEM1

OEM1 Loaded Pockets

#1 Don't fall for "gimmicky" products that look cool but serve no purpose whatsoever.

#2 Don't purchase cheap gear and expect it to be good., you will regret it. Your life may depend on your gear someday so don't cheap out! If don't have the money, wait till you do.

#3 Do your homework when purchasing any gear. Forums like this are great resources.

#4 Don't waste your hard earned money on corny stuff that you'll never need. I guess this ties in to my first suggestion.

#5 Last but not least. Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge & more knowledge.. The more you know the less you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Buy smart - Spend the money to buy good quality items, but at the same time keep in mind the law of diminishing returns... To give an example, the quality and reliability of a Victorinox SAK is well worth the extra money spent over a cheap tool. At the same time, will a $400 Sebenza really be four times better to use than a $100 Spyderco? Obviously everyone has their cutoff points and own opinion on what something is worth, but it is well worth thinking this over before being something.

Be practical - A lot of people can get carried away building EDC setups to cater for every situation, with tins micro managed to fill every square millimetre with something handy, or big bags with three of every tool under the sun, but is is worth taking a step back and asking yourself what is actually practical to use - commuting on the bus probably won't require a wilderness survival kit, and do you really need fishing supplies when going to the movies or to pick up some groceries?

Carry less/keep it simple - I guess an addition to the last point, but (in my opinion at least) the less I carry, the better - Less weight and bulk means less to have to wear myself out dragging around, Less items means less I to have to organise, keep track of and potentially damage or lose and ultimately and ultimately it makes my 'system' that bit simpler and easier, and makes for a happier experience for me.

Knowledge - All the gear in the world is absolutely useless if you don't know how to make use of it - things like first aid kits, fire starting equipment or fishing kits (amongst many other genres) are areas where practical knowledge is absolutely essential, so before you add it to your carry, make sure you know how to handle everything and have enough experience and practise to put it into use - I would say this is to the point where it can become dangerous to try and make use of something like a first aid kit without knowing what you are doing, or having items like survival kits giving you extra unwarranted confidence to take part in activities you otherwise shouldn't - putting yourself in a dangerous place if something were to go wrong you couldn't handle. Similarly an item like a knife or firearm - while perfectly safe in trained hands - becomes a worrying thing when wielded by someone untrained and ignorant of appropriate safety measures.

20. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

don't leave home without your bank card... and a knife.