1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

identefy a non leathal weapon (i really need help,story inside)

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by kareem2357, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kareem2357

kareem2357 Loaded Pockets

if someone can give me a name of this tool or something like it, and i dont need it for my own emusment , read the story if you want to know why i truly need something like this wire (and where i can buy it online if possible)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGdPoV1VMHc&feature=player_detailpage#t=43s

full story:
    1. just a few hours ago i was with friends going clubbing
    on the way we met around 7-8 big guys who tried to sell us crack the situation got intense but fortunately nothing happened

about an hour afterwards after we were in a club my friend got messing she is 20 years old , we tried to call many times and after we found her she told us two guys tried to rape her and even forced her to do oral, she was really drunk and not sure if they forced her or it was half forced half accepted it(since she was extremely drunk) , i took her home she didnt show any signs of someone that have been raped she even smiled , but im not sure , she want to sleep and i left her house

but i dont want to be in that situation again to face danger and be the victim , we almost got into a fight with a gang (4 guys vs 7 really big guys) and afterwards my friend got almost raped, i dont want to live my life knowing that something like tis can happen again

i live in italy now so im not sure what about the laws here, i dont want to carry a knife because i dont want to kill anyone , im thinking about those things-> tactical flashlight, pepper spray , and the wire from the clip (i heard that a baton is illegal and its too big to carry it around in a club), , anyone have anymore suggestions?

i know that this is meant for strangling but it also can disable a guy by wrapping it around his hand or leg or neck

i hope that you have never been in a situation like this , but i think you will understand the feeling

2. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

That's a garrotte, and it is decidedly lethal. In fact, it is only good if you want to kill someone. You don't have to buy them, you can make them yourself. It doesn't have to be wire - cord will do just fine. My advice would be to look for something else.

3. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

That is a garotte wire my friend, and 9 out of 10 times it will be useless In untrained hands. In the situation you are talking about with more than one guy it would not be of much help. I would suggest you look up other forms of self defense and all laws about self defense in your area and don't carry anything Illegal. If you are not allowed to have any form of weapons then you can carry a pen or a marker to give you an impact device. really your best option is to keep away form shady places, keep an eye out for danger, and if a conflict arises run and call the police. Next time you go to the club stick together and try to stay away form shady guys. I don't know much at all in the way of self defense this is just my opinion. Sorry about what happened to you friend, and be safe.

4. Proforguns

Proforguns Loaded Pockets

There is NO tool that can provide you with the perfect self defense.For self protection is a lifestyle that requires lots of training and constant situational awareness.Even with constant training and great mindset ,trouble can find you.
    I am quoting here and in no way implying this means you ,but the phrase I go by is "don't do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people!"

sungame likes this.
  5. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with Proforguns. Only training and awareness can help you in situations like you described. I know the feeling of helplessness you experienced. I've been a victim of a violent crime, while working as a teller in a bank I was held up. You're looking for the security you believed you had before and hope to regain. You're looking to be empowered.

I hope never to be put in a situation where I need them, but I believe in being prepared and carry tools I believe I would need: a pocket knife but consider that a last resort weapon; an Embassy pen that I got from County Comm for use as a kubotan; and pepper spray that I keep in my daily carry bag. But what I consider my number one weapon is awareness of my surroundings.

6. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

True enough. But an implement like that requires a high level of finesse. Note that the OP's example (YT vid) is demonstrated by a highly-trained martial artist in a staged situation. If you OP is drinking, I sincerely doubt he will have the fine motor skills required to pull off something like that.

Better to quit drinking and conduct yourself in safer circumstances.

7. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I learned how to use one when I was a kid. I had a very unusual dad.

Rev. Chuck likes this.
  8. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Well said. No amount of gear and magic toys will help anyone who is oblivious. One's lack of awareness is easily discerned by predatory humans and other such critters.

sungame likes this.
  9. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Kareem, first off, forget what you see in Hollywood movies. They're made by people who have absolutely zero knowledge of real life.

Second, you wouldn't believe how much of the assaults happen either in clubs, or the immediate area of the club, with intoxicated victims. Clubbing and drinking puts you in a very risky spot. If you go clubbing, drink very moderately and stay sober. That way your situational awareness doesn't go the way of la-la land. What happened to your friend is unfortunate, but all to common. Drunk young women excel at getting into trouble, and unfortunately the guys with them get sucked into it.

If you do feel the need to carry a weapon, make it something normal that has a real world use to it. A sturdy pen, Sharpie marker, AA mini mag flashlight, all have an innocent real world use, but can inflict real damage and hurt if uses right. But they are useless if you don't stay alert and at least halfway sober.

Carl.

paaiyan likes this.
  10. kareem2357

kareem2357 Loaded Pockets

you are right the rope can only be used when there is one attacker which is not always the case, and it needs too much skills , i personally wanted something like this because its very compact

im thinking about getting a tactical flash light, still dont know which but i saw that jetbeam have flashlight for real self defense use, im going to start carry my pepper spray (better be called a :censored: than dead right) , any other suggestions??

i thought about a leatherman MUT but ill take off the knife so it will be 100% legal but that stupid i prefare to have a tactical flashlight

11. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

This won't be a very popular option, but my suggestion would be in agreement with jackknife, don't get drunk (or drink alot) when out at clubs. You decrease your situational awareness and your physical ability, and increase your likelihood of becoming a victim drastically. If I was a common thug intent on robbing someone or doing someone harm, I'd pick a drunk/buzzed person over a sober one every time.

paaiyan and sungame like this.
  12. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Yep (pretty much agree with earlier postings, especially the part about situational awareness, not going places where trouble breeds, and considering a Self-defense lifesyle). Beyond that you may also want to up your self-defense ability with some type of useful martial arts training, especially one that has training that ultimately includes sparring and grappling.

13. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

+1. I really thought that this needs to be repeated.

14. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

I need to read these things more carefully-way early here. I thought it said training and awesomeness. “Mr. Norris on stage in 5 minutes” Awareness is good to.

15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Check the laws in your area about what you can and cannot carry - I know the guns, knives and pepper sprays many talk about here are illegal in the UK at least, and I have no idea how Italy compares.

As many have mentioned the first thing is to try and avoid these situations before they happen - being aware of where you are and your surroundings, avoiding stupid situations that are easily taken advantage of such as extreme drunkenness and keeping tabs on those who are already in a state.

The second most important thing you could do is some proper training - there should be various courses available in self defence and related arts, and really no weapon can compare to proper knowledge and skill - wield a knife and unless you know what you are doing a trained person can quite easily defend against it, take it from you and potentially use it against you. Learning proper real world self defence is one of the most useful things you could do.

16. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I am all to encourage honest citizens to carry non lethal weapons / equalizers (and I even think carrying lethal weapons should be legal for people with no criminal background or heavy mental disorders). But in this case, the first thing to do would be to stop going to places such as those clubs. The second thing is that your girl friend should consult a physician (for sex transmissible diseases prevention) and go to police (if not raped she was sexually aggressed).

17. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

What I told my friend helped her out in ny a long time ago somebody wanted her money so she took her gloves out and proceeded to fetch her wallet and he never paid attention to the gloves and the 3 rolls of dimes in the fingers.. She left him bleeding and crying on the sidewalk

18. Sproles

Sproles Loaded Pockets

TOTALLY agree. The same idea of don't take a knife to a gun fight...if all you have is a knife...don't go to the gun fight at ALL! S.A. - situational awareness is probably THE most important thing out there! I know that people say that, and it will get repeated over and over, but I live in the same world as you all do and I have never had a face-to-face situation. Am I prepared for it? You betcha'! Do I want to use my skills, training, weapons? Not so much. Am I afraid of it...honestly? Not really, but I would rather not use them.

Where you place yourself has an immediate and direct impact on the situations you will encounter. Hang out in clubs/bars, etc you have a much higher propensity to encounter bad guys and bad situations. So, my first thought to the O.P. is change your hang out spots. Buy a new stereo at home, invest in a good mixed drink recipe book and some high quality booze and have your own party (only somewhat kidding about that part!)

Good luck-
    Sproles

19. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

Listen to what has been said here. I've been training for 2 years in Krav Maga, I won't explain it in depth, but there are tons of videos and info on it. The basis is doing the most damage, as quickly as possible, in order to escape. One guy versus even 3-4 isn't going to end well no matter how good you are (I know you said there were 4 of you, but there were 7-8 of them). Add to the fact that you've been drinking, even if you're not drunk, reactions are slower, perception is changed, etc. And that's not even taking into account if the threat has a weapon. The whole situation itself is FUBAR, from the point of contact with the gang...well actually from before that, but you get the point. The main issue I see is situational awareness, and no amount of weaponry is going to help you if you walk into an attack.

Always be aware of your surroundings. Clubs aren't my thing for a few reasons. First off, I hate drunk people, more the things they do than the people themselves. Drunk people do stupid **** and I don't want to be involved. Clubs are crowded, watch any video of an emergency at a club, its mass chaos. Again, drunk people and lots of them, trying to exit a building. The first thing I do when I enter a new place is map my exits, areas of concealment, avenues of escape. If someone walks in 3 minutes from now and starts blasting away, where do I go? If there's a fire and the main entrance is blocked, where do I go? What if I'm in a fight...? Also, look out for anyone who appears to be trouble. This comes with practice, but you can usually spot them. The problem again is, you're in a club with how many other people.

So my first question is, why was there contact with the gang in the first place? I see that many guys together at one time, something is more than likely up and nothing good is going to happen. I am turning tail and getting out of there. 8 guys, no thanks, even with friends. Even if it were myself and 3 of my Krav buddies, we'd all tell you we're outta there. My second question is, how can you lose your friend? Again situational awareness. Maybe its just me, but if I was with a 20 year old girl in a club (of course that's underage here anyways) I sure as hell would know where she's at.

As for weapons, nothing short of a gun is going to help you when you're outnumbered 2:1. For one on one or two, a good flashlight, such as a Surefire is a great tool. It can be used as a distance tool ( temporarily blind someone before they get into reach, allowing for escape) or for a striking tool (bezel crenelations make it much more effective). Get into the mindset that ANYTHING is a weapon. Chair, fire extinguisher, stapler, anything I can get my hands on to swing or strike with will put more points in my favor. Preferably something that will allow me to strike them before they can get close enough to strike myself. Know your laws, know what is legal etc. Ultimately situational awareness should be your first tool, it will help you never have to use your other tools.

20. Somnophore

Somnophore Loaded Pockets

I agree situational awareness is key, the conflicts I have been in in the past have all come
    About through me trying to assist friends who were in a state of Intoxication in situations I would have usually avoided.

Forced oral sex is classed as rape, in all EU countries and the USA too I believe.

I would say in situations where you cant avoid conflict, posture like you don't want to fight, turn your body at an angle put your hands up palms flat and hunch your shoulders like you're being submissive and trying to back away, then sucker punch them, the surprise will give you enough initiative to even the score a little or escape. I would run rather than fight in most cases, however if there were weaker people there being attacked I'd feel I had to stay and fight, especially if it was a woman.

Tactical pens are a good one because especially if it's dark people won't see what you have, they hurt a lot and people may retreat thinking they have been stabbed with a knife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.