1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for carrying SD cards

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by phaserrifle, Dec 5, 2015.

1. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

The modular version is a different design to the standard pocket rockets. More of a pouch than a wallet.
    Only made in CF+Sd though.

The standard Sd pocket rocket is something I have found, along with a similar design by tenba tools

Wish you hadn't told me about that Google search. That's local enough to cost me a lot of money in the future :D

Sent via psychic link from the 31st century

DeepBlue and CalicoSalsa like this.
  2. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Nooooooooo
    Get home, copy all the cards to your computer.
    Make a backup copy (on a seperate hard drive, if they are really important, a second hard drive stored offsite)
    Then start working on them - you dont want to do a destructive edit and accidentally save over the original file
    Keep the pics on the cards until your next job - that way if theres a catastrophic failure (power surge destroys computer and HDD) you might still have a copy.

As for carrying SD cards - another vote for the Thinktank Pixel Pocket Rocket
    Mine has safely stored SD and CF cards for years now.
    Protip - store empty cards with the manufacturers label up, full cards label down - that way you wont grab a full card by mistake.

Pelican cases do a hard waterproof card wallet - might be a good buy too (i dont have one, so cant really review it for you)

kensington and phaserrifle like this.
  3. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I'll add a few thoughts.
    - First, the very best precaution you can take is to buy good quality cards from a reputable manufacturer. I only use SanDisk and pretty much only their Extreme Pro range. These primarily because I need cards that give best transfer rates. The slightly cheaper Extreme version are more than fast enough for full HD video (50 Mbps).
    - Second, always, always buy from a source that you know gets its cards from the mfr. Unexpectedly good deals on-line means there is a very good chance you are getting counterfeit. Guess whether their transfer rates and failure rates are as good as the genuine article.
    - Third, you don't need the very latest and largest size. There is a good school of thought that says that keeping at the cutting edge (eg largest card with greatest density) gives higher risk of failure. That may be urban legend but what is certain is that they are disproportionately expensive and its perhaps better to have photos on several cards; if you loose one, you haven't lost all your pics of the day. I'm happily using fast 16GB cards but I do have two card slots.
    - Four, if you still worried, a camera with the two slots set up to make duplicates on the second card would give better peace of mind. Probably not helpful idea unless you already have such! Personally, I've never gone this way.
    - Five, never, ever, pull a card from a camera while it's still writing. The card light on the camera back will be flashing if this is happening. It won't necessarily corrupt the card but there is a much higher chance of doing so.
    - Six, general consensus is to reformat your cards in camera each time to erase cards for reuse rather than doing mass deletes on a PC or in camera. This way, if there are any iffy sectors they get identified / ignored. Again, might be urban legend but it's also quicker and I've never had a problem. (Secondary tip, make this part of your regular workflow and reformat before putting cards back in your storage pouch. This way I know I have copied, backed up etc and never have a prob putting a half full card back in camera and running out of space and then wondering if I really had copied stuff off properly.)
    - Seven, if you think you have abused, twisted, jammed or accidentally driven over a card in Land Cruiser (yes...) then just bin it (after copying off that last set of photos).

Touchwood, following the above , I've never had an issue with dozens of cards and probably some thousands of uses in very varied climates around the world.

Then, pretty much the best way of copying is to use a fast USB 3 card reader into a laptop as soon as practical. Much faster than USB 2 or camera wifi which is still generally more trouble than useful.

HTH

phaserrifle likes this.
  4. phaserrifle

I go one step further with potentially destructive editing, and use a 'working copy' separate from the originals and backups thereof.
    That way, if I screw up, it's a completely separate file from everything else. And I keep the original version for future use.

5. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

Double amen to all the backups and copies before anything else, excellent steps to note! I have a waterproof, fireproof local drive (ioSafe) plus cloud storage copies (Dropbox), then backup copies in two places (TimeMachine and Crashplan). While editing, I also believe in versioning copies.

91bravo likes this.
  6. Taylor2394

Taylor2394 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

It holds 18 SD cards and 8 micro sd cards and 4 - 8 USB's depending on size. Got it from my local officeworks store for $5 australian

kensington and CalicoSalsa like this.
  7. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

"Spray and pray" and "we'll fix it in post" Words to live by!

kensington and CalicoSalsa like this.
  8. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

Dang, I want that.

9. phaserrifle

Thank-you for all your suggestions.
    Just picked up the pocket rocket while I was out and about today :)

10. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

You mean "tsop ni ti xif"

twoisone likes this.
  11. Quinby

Quinby Loaded Pockets

Pelican makes a case that holds 6 micro SD, 6 Mini SD and 12 SD cards.

I'd rather they came out with a version that had 12 micros, as the minis seem to have experienced an extinction event.

The case will also hold very small micros SD USB readers (like from Lexar).

12. rhosey

rhosey Loaded Pockets

The Pelican Case 0915 is a slick little case & can be had for under $20.

It can holds 12 SD cards, 6 mini SD cards and 6 micro SD cards.

INTERIOR (L X W X D)
    4.79" x 2.25" x 0.55" (12.2 x 5.7 x 1.4 cm)

EXTERIOR (L X W X D)
    5.55" x 3.27" x 0.85" (14.1 x 8.3 x 2.2 cm)

[​IMG]

kensington and TransportJockey like this.
  13. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

My vote is the Pelican as well. Used them for a while with great success. Who doesn't love a Pelican case?!?!

14. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I use that same case for my camera cards. Works great and holds up well

15. W-D

W-D Loaded Pockets

I use micro sds for my dashcam, drones, tablet, etc. keep them in this [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Think tank pocket rocket is nice, but I really like my pelican clam shell SD card case. I know nothing will get bent

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I keep a spare battery and CF card for my DSLR in a small Lowepro pouch, which can be fixed to a belt, strap, or lanyard for easy access. Similarly, the (Cullman) pouch for my compact camera has a pocket containing spare battery and SD card. I never need more than one spare card during the day, so additional cards are buried in camera bag.
    [​IMG][​IMG]