1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for carrying SD cards

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by phaserrifle, Dec 5, 2015.

1. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know of any good ways to carry SD cards for easy access?
    when I'm out with the camera, I currently have to carry them in thier cases, rattling round in a pocket of my bag (or indeed my actual pocket)

I'm especially interested in something that can be mounted on a rucksack/camera strap.

2. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Think Tank Pocket Rocket

kensington and phaserrifle like this.
  3. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

SDcardholder, It is a credit card-sized holder fits flat in your wallet or elsewhere.

phaserrifle likes this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Choose one that will not generate static electricity; a phenomenon that will destroy the circuitry.

phaserrifle likes this.
  5. phaserrifle

That looks very close to ideal.
    looking around thier site, it's just a shame their "Modular pixel pocket rocket" doesn't come in an SD card only version

Unfortuneately, can't seem to find them in the UK. Plenty of the Micro SD card versions (or copies thereof)
    And postage would cost more than the actual holder.

6. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me too!
    M[​IMG][​IMG]

theirishboxer likes this.
  8. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Luckily i just use 2 cards, i have them i the camera.... 32GB cards.

Sent from my S6 Edge+

9. CalicoSalsa

CalicoSalsa Uber Prepared

Good recommendation. Plenty of pro photogs here use them. One guy I was around had his mounted with extra strong Velcro to the outside of his camera bag. This way he could flip open the Rocket, swap cards, and not lose the thing.

Other pros have an unpaid intern along to hold & swap things.

ran23 and phaserrifle like this.
  10. phaserrifle

I'm thinking I can use a carabiner to attach it to my camera sling.

Since I'm nowhere near at a professional level, I am my own unpaid intern ;)

11. CalicoSalsa

Carabiner would work well. The Velcro option adds a way to keep the case stable and not swinging around. If you add Velcro to the back of the case, then you have that option if you need it. If it is firmly attached, you can use one hand to nimbly open it and slide cards out/in. Helps if you need to keep a hand on the camera, tripod, hot model, etc. If no intern, a buddy or babe will serve.

ran23 and phaserrifle like this.
  12. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

Honestly, I'd make something.

Get those fake credit cards they ship people (or a used gift card), put some electrical/duct tape wrapped around the card, make a few flaps with some more tape, then put some grippy material (probaby more tape) on the interior of the flap.

Should hold 4-8 reliably, and cheaply. Heck, it might fit in your wallet. Talk about convenience.

DISCLAIMER:
    Never done this, just a thought off the top of my head.

Another idea is micro SD cards into an adapter which is already in the camera. Those things are getting bigger and cheaper, and they sure are small.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  13. phaserrifle

I've got a couple of these. But I don't rely on them at all. The adapters are not always reliable (especially if any kind of dirt/dust gets near them) and I'm fairly sure they are slower than dedicated full size sd cards too.

The duct tape idea is something I can give a go through.

Sent via psychic link from the 31st century

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  14. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Just a reminder - most duct tape conducts. And a lot of plastics will create a static charge.

Electrical tape seems the way to go.

I went to the vet with some friends. They always say I'm a sick puppy.

phaserrifle and CalicoSalsa like this.
  15. CalicoSalsa

Very good point.

Pros, or even us amateurs who've had a bad experience, find a way while still in the field to copy the files from the SD card to another location. Eye-fi card is one way, but pricey and means having a laptop. A tablet with a card reader connection is another way, but limited can be limited storage especially if you are shooting raw and a lot. Then there are dedicated portable drives to which you can connect and easily copy a card's contents. If you are just out fussing around you may not need these options. But if you are shooting anything that would take time & effort or an act of God to recreate, maybe find a way to make sure your files don't go vapor. Too many of us have lost a card or had a failure of some sort.

twoisone likes this.
  16. phaserrifle

I'm currently looking into that too.
    I've been asked to shoot a friend's event, and I'm absolutely bricking it.

My camera has some wi-fi capabilities built in, but I don't think they'll cut it.

I didn't know duct-tape was conductive. You learn something new every day.
    Thanks for the heads up :)

17. CalicoSalsa

That's great! Your friend is supportive and believes in you.

Best advice I ever got was to shoot about 100x ...ok make that 200x...as many photos as you think you should. Sure, spend time with adjustments and such, but really just shoot and shoot and shoot. If you knew how many discards the pros end up with, you'd be amazed. At first if you are at all lucky, 4 in 100 shots will be worth sharing. Later you get that number up as you develop a sense of everything, but always play the odds. Your subjects aren't going to be pros either, so they won't be cooperative with smiling at the same time, looking at you, holding still...just keep shooting. Then don't be shy about telling people what to do. Look here! Hey, can you move about 18" to your right? Get closer together! Everyone! Hey! Hey! Look at the camera! Look at the camera (they look at you instead).

Then when you get home with the 40k shots, started editing. Crop, touch up, fix levels...make the subjects look good and they will love your work. I've found that I NEVER admit how much I touch up a subject. They ask, and I might say, "a little, because of the lighting", but I never ever tell them. And some will moan about how I should have touched up the photos, how bad they look...if only they knew how the original image looked!

For sure not telling you anything you don't already know, I'm just excited for you. Sounds like you are pursuing something you've found that draws you, and what a blessing that is. Congrats on the journey. Be sure to let us know how the event goes!

91bravo and phaserrifle like this.
  18. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

I use the CF card version for SD Cards. It perfectly fits SD cards inside the little plastic cases they come in. Well that SanDisk cards come in. I like the additional protection even though the pocket rockets are excellent as they are.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  19. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

If you do want the SD card version it is definitely available in stock in the UK currently. Just replace Modular with SD. Or try googling Speedgraphic.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  20. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

never put SDcards in your wallet. you will sit on them and bend them and have other stuff in there that might put pressure on them. had an old 2gb one with a linux system in my wallet for 1 year or so. first the lock came off (->read-only card), then some months later it fell into pieces. (->no card)

CalicoSalsa likes this.