1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a small EDC flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by stone_eyes, Jan 25, 2011.

1. stone_eyes

stone_eyes Empty Pockets

Hey all,
    I've only been here for a short time, but im already obsessed with edc... I've been carring a maratac aaa flashlight for a while now, but since I work evenings (and nights in the summer) (and need something else to blow my money on :laugh: ) i need a new flashlight.... my only requirements are small, as bright as possible, under $60, durable, and several different modes (strobe, beacon, etc.). I've been looking at the 4sevens quark mini 123... any thoughts??

2. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

We had a pass around on the Quarks last year, they are awesome and bright, and strobey. I like the power saver mode that strobes, dual purpose. Saves power and confounds a would be attacker. I hit my neighbor with the strobe on accident, he was pretty much frozen in place trying to figure out what the hell that was about.

3. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I've got 2 Quark minis and I'm happy with them, right now one serves as my backup light but I'm thinking of switching it to my main light. I bought one to try it out and then bought a second one about a month later.

4. Judochop

Judochop Loaded Pockets

I just bought a Quark mini 123 online last night and it should be here on Friday. I heard and saw some amazing performance reviews on youtube so I'm pretty psyched. :whee:

5. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

Judochop, it is an awesome light. And compared to the Surefire E1E, brighter and cheaper to load..

6. stone_eyes

stone_eyes Empty Pockets

Alrighty then, i guess im gona go with the Quark 123, now i have to decide if i want the mini or the s2... i cant decide if the clicky switch on the s2 is worth the bigger size... oh and i also have to choose black or titanium. so many choices!! ;D

7. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

The S2 lights are looking a tad green to a lot of poeple's eyes. This is of course a matter of individual taste, and I prefer neutral to warm as it renders more realistic colours.

If that doesn't bother you, I'm sure it will suit you just fine. Oh, and you want the Ti one ;D

8. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

go for the Quark Mini123, you will love it! i love mine! everyone i show it to is impressed at how freakin bright it is for its size.

9. MacGnG

MacGnG Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Check this out: Tempo - White L.E.D.™ by GERBER.
    I got one at Sports Authority on black friday and it was practically free with the coupon they were giving out. it's just a nice little flashlight, nothing fancy but it does the job :)

10. Gornrog

Gornrog Empty Pockets

:iagree: The Quark Minis are great lights, you won't be disappointed.

11. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

The one I would get is the new mini XM-L. It is using CREEs latest emitter and is putting out 210 lumens OTF. The S2 is 135 lumens OTF. IIRC it puts out a wall of light with a large hotspot but does not throw quite as well.

12. stone_eyes

stone_eyes Empty Pockets

Ugg, more options!!

Thanks guys for all the sugestions...
    And I know im going with the Quark, but just as I was about to checkout I saw the CR2 version. :sigh: Its a lil brighter but less runtime. The only prob i see with the CR2 version vs the 123 is battery avaliablilty, so once again i come to the edc kings for advice :laugh: So which do you think is better, the 123 or CR2?
    thanks again and God bless
    stone_eyes

13. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

you are talking about the s2 versions, correct?

It's a toss up really. If you want the extra brightness and can stand less than half the run time on high, then go for the CR2 version. It is slightly smaller than the 123 anyway.
    One thing you have to consider is that cr2's are usually harder to find without ordering online (atleast in my area) I can find surefire and energizer lithium 123a's in a bunch of places, but i have only found CR2's at wal-mart and they are sold out most of the time.

My personal choice is the 123a, i like the added run time.

edit: i didn't notice you mentioned battery availability the first time i skimmed through your post. haha.

14. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Loaded Pockets

I love my Fenix PD20

15. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I don't have a CR2 version but IMO one isn't inherently better than the other. The CR2 is smaller in all dimensions but not by a lot. I would go for the 123 for pocket carry simply because batteries are easier to find and cheaper. In a pinch even Lowes is stocking Surefire 123s. If I was planning on putting it on my keys then I probably would go for the smaller form factor and buy cells online in bulk.

16. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

I have both the Minis in 123 and CR2. True, its easier to find the 123 batteries in a variety of places. I probably will order my next CR2 batteries online but I've gotten the current supply at Target. I carry the CR2 all the time! LOVE the CR2 version! You can't go wrong with either one, in my opinion....why not solve the dilemma and get one of each?

17. bullets

bullets Loaded Pockets

I have the CR2 on my keychain and I love it's compact size.
    I don't use it all that often for a long time so the longer run time of the 123 was not a factor for me.

18. freq18hz

freq18hz Loaded Pockets

Get the Mini cr123a. It isn't much bigger than the CR2 model, and it has twice the runtime.

If you want a small, bright, easy to find batteries light, get an ITP EOS A3 R5 edition. It's probably the best light out right now when it comes to a balance of price/value/quality.

19. Bullosa

Bullosa Loaded Pockets

I have the Fenix E05 on a neck lanyard as my small EDC light. It uses a single AAA battery with a wide flood beam.

20. toasterburn

toasterburn Loaded Pockets

I have a S2 CR123 and I just sold a Mini CR2. The CR2 is pure white and very tiny. The S2 CR123 has a very noticeable green tint, to the point where I would consider the cool white version to almost be a neutral light. This is fine with me though, to my eyes it was brighter then the CR2, the run time is doubled, and the batteries for it are everywhere.