1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a first gun for my son?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by D.J., Jan 21, 2016.

1. D.J.

D.J. Loaded Pockets

Thank you everyone for the input. I totally agree with the rifle after reading the comments and discussing it with my wife. I think I will go with the Ruger 10/22 because my father in law has one as well and I can't think of a better way for the 2 of them to bond then an afternoon of fishing the pond and putting holes in Pepsi cans

2. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

if you want to get him a .22 but don't want to have to burn your precious ammo supply or worry about finding more, get a Benjamin 392 air rifle. it shoots .22 caliber lead pellets at about 675 fps. enough to take squirrels at reasonable distance, and he will really have to focus on shot placement. i use it more than my .22 LR just because it's so quiet, and cheap to shoot.

3. Dorian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dorian EDC Junkie!!!

Honestly I find the 10/22 to be Meh.
    Mine sits in the back of my safe untouched for the last several years.
    If you're going to go with a semi auto take a look at the S&W 15-22.
    I picked one up when they first came out it has quickly become my go to rifle.
    I have 4 other .22's so far every time I bring the 15-22 to the range it comes out on top.
    I have had several people buy one after shooting mine.
    A good friend who is a police officer gave one to his daughter for a first gun after shooting it.

Corgi and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. Trespasser

Trespasser Loaded Pockets

I have been teaching my daughters to shoot on the savage 93 series rifles, with thumbhole stock, since they were 10 and 11. I have the 22 mag and 17 hmr versions. They make a great 22 lr and there is something to be said about controlled bolt action shooting for training. They have gotten so good that now I stand up different colored shotgun shell casings out about 75 yards and call out a color to see who can acquire the target and hit it the fastest.

5. Grumpy521

Grumpy521 Loaded Pockets

I was given my first rifle on my 6th birthday. I was handed down my grandfather's antique Winchester single shot, bolt action .22. That old stick made me one of the best rifle shots that I know. My adult life has revolved around the use of firearms and I still have that same rifle in my safe. I have 3 children and all of them started with their own single shot, bolt action .22.

6. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

something about working a the lever on a lever gun makes me happy

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  7. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

My first gun... Ruger 10/22. And he can find a gazillion mods, making Xmas and Bday gifts that much easier for you! Tons of aftermarket stocks, scopes, sights, mags, barrels, etc.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  8. My3kidsfather

My3kidsfather Loaded Pockets

I got to go a different direction here, maybe a bit off anyway, I think a bolt action 22lr would be good as they have better accuracy generally. There are others better suited to suggest s brand.. I have an CIL branded Anschutz bolt 22 given to me by my father when I was a boy that is very accurate; some here might agree accuracy is important to begin training for a lifetime of use.

Dorian and Grumpy521 like this.
  9. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Loaded Pockets

10/22 is a great suggestion. If you wanted a bolt action, the 77/22 would be fun.

Henry makes some nice little lever action .22 rifles too.

-SF

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Dorian likes this.
  10. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Gonna throw my hat in with the 10/22 crowd. My first gun. I've done a LOT of work on it since and it is a very sweet shooter.

If he's not up to speed for that, the Savage Rascal single shot .22 is a fantastic trainer.

11. Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester Loaded Pockets

I got my 12 year old daughter a Henry .22lr lever action for Christmas. It's a sweet tack driving gun. The lever action is so smooth, and it has a nice trigger pull and excellent iron sights. I would definitely recommend a 22 rifle as your sons first gun.

The Henry a little heavy for her now, but will be perfect to grow into. I wanted something a little nicer than the average gun, so she could remember it forever. Has a nice blued octagon barrel with good wood and copper accents. We have been out using it a few times now and she seems to like it almost as much as I do...

Corgi and Matt Shepard like this.
  12. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I got my boys a blue Savage Rascal. Single shot, bolt action, sized for small bodies, big safety switch, decent peep sights...
    An excellent rifle to learn the fundamentals with, then pass down to the next 'little' who needs to learn.

Dorian likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I sold one of these today. As part of the sale, I had to attach the serial to the forms, and...well...I of course had to inspect it a bit. Can't let the shop get a reputation for selling defective guns.

It was impressive. And really pretty for the money.

If it were up to me, I'd go this route.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  14. Trespasser

Trespasser Loaded Pockets

I have the Henry Lever. They are a good gun and the action is smooth on them. I am not as big of fan of the sites. Seems like the front blade and rear notch are a bit wide for any accuracy. But that might just be my own personal bias. I learned to shoot on a Remington field master pump .22 and the front blade is VERY thin. They made sure once you had it in the notch of the rear sites you were going to hit what you were aiming at.

Edit: I should say I still recommend the bolt action Savage 93's for learning. But, for shear fun of shooting, the Henry is one of the most entertaining for me. My daughters however aren't as big a fan of the henry. They like to shoot from prone position on bipods or off a bench. The henry lends itself more to a off-hand style.

Last edited by Trespasser, Jan 27, 2016
    Corgi and D.J. like this.
  15. Paulgl26

Paulgl26 Loaded Pockets

Got my son a 10/22 that I added an adjustable stock (ar15 style)
    When he was 10. For his 12 birthday he got a Walther p22
    He started shooting bb guns in the back yard around 5-6 year old
    For the princes I got her a pink youth cricket(22lr single shoot) when she was 10

D.J. likes this.
  16. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

IMO. Just an Opinion, and that is all.

Start him off with a Ruger American Rimfire. They have a youth size that has a replaceable stock and cheek riser that will grow with him. It is bolt action and you can get it in 17HMR so you can actually go shooting and find ammo vs all the 22 hoarders.

For those that are saying the 10/22 is meh. The great thing about a 10/22 is not the build quality, the fit or finish. It is the cost, and the worlds of upgrades that are out there. You want a durable rifle that is cheep? Keep it stock. Want a 1/2 inch group @ 100 yards? It will cost you but you can get one of them too. There are a lot of middle ground out there as well. Even for the take down 10/22's.

Think of the 10/22 like the ford model "T" of the gun world. After you buy it, it is then time to make it yours.

D.J. likes this.
  17. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I cut my teeth on a Ruger 10/22 too. I would vote for that as well.

D.J. likes this.
  18. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

Definitely 10/22. You can always load just one round in the magazine for safety.

D.J. likes this.
  19. Sigdog

Sigdog Loaded Pockets

My first two .22 rifles were both bold action, an Anschutz and a Brno model 2.......... either would be a great first rifle for your son.

Although I love my 10/22, I think a boys first should be a bolt or lever action (had a Winchester 94/22 and an Erma lever action too).

Last edited by Sigdog, Feb 11, 2016
  20. Nenavist

Nenavist Loaded Pockets

No love fore the 17hmr? How about a Savage or Browning T bolt 17hmr. Great round that you both can have fun with and find ammo for.