1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ice storm edc

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Drewglynn, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Drewglynn

Drewglynn Loaded Pockets

With a potential ice storm coming thru the mid south area I am looking at beefing up my get home bag and edc, as well as my truck kit,. What extra edc ect would/ are u packing up?

2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Can of Prestone De-Icer tossed in the bed of the pick-up truck (for getting the door open).

3. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

My jeep emergency kit already carries a folding shovel, hatchet, camp saw, fire starting materials, mylar blanket, flares, boots, socks, gloves, change of clothes (something more rugged than I wear to work), 3 days' rations, medical supplies. It has water also, I'll probably add some electrolyte mix to lower the freezing point.

I'll grab a can of spray de-icer and make sure I have a scraper. Might toss in my parka since I rarely wear it elsewhere.

Roger, keith1234 and RoadWizard like this.
  4. Drewglynn

Drewglynn Loaded Pockets

Tow rope, extra coat, full size shovel ....

whoozle and keith1234 like this.
  5. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

The only addition to my truck I typically make is sand bags. Besides adding weight for traction, you can always cut them open and spread on the ice if needed.

I know they make pocket sized lock de-icer too and that may not be a bad idea to help get in a car. Once in the car, you could store larger items to help get home.

dawgfan76, cowsmilk and keith1234 like this.
  6. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Yaktrax! The footwear equivalent of tire chains and absolutely worth their weight in icy conditions. $20 can save you a trip to the ER and many painful weeks of healing. Available all over the place, notably REI, Dicks, Amazon, all the usual places. Pretty much anywhere that sells sporting or outdoor goods will have them or a knockoff.

vinniec5, GrayMouser, whoozle and 3 others like this.
  7. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

Tow rope, forgot. I keep both a strap and a chain in my Jeep. I have an elastic snatch strap on order.

8. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

we are lucky here we dont get anything like that here. the occasional cyclone but no ice storms. Must be difficult
    Xiii

9. paaiyan

paaiyan Loaded Pockets

You should come to the US and visit Oklahoma. In the last 5 years I can remember us having the following:

Freak flash floods, over a foot of rain in a day
    5.9 magnitude earthquake
    Raging wildfires that burned hundreds of square miles
    The largest tornado in recorded history
    A blizzard, dumping 18" of snow on OKC in a day, then another a few weeks later with another 8" or so, temperatures below -10F
    Ice storms with freezing rain building up ice on surfaces up to 4-6" thick
    Heat waves and droughts with months of no rain and temperatures exceeding 115F and 80-90% humidity

It keeps you on your toes.

pacrawshaw, Kilted1 and Xiii like this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

JetBoil PSC, water, and some instant coffee or hot chocolate.

If you get stuck waiting on the side the side of the road a hot drink will save the evening:)

11. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

Extra flashlight batteries, a stout shovel for the car, de-icer, spare ice scraper.

12. Blackheart

That's what the flask of Maker's Mark is for. :p

B.Haven, SAKplumber and Wishoot like this.
  13. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Just make sure that this stays on your person and doesn't go into the vehicle in your bag. I made that mistake once and never again.

kertap75 and Tegan's Dad like this.
  14. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Here is what I would do.

The worst thing to happen is that you can not get home or to your target destination for whatever reason. This translates to a stay in either your car or a shelter.
    Therefor I'd take a sleeping bag for temperatures as cool as possible to reduce the loss of body temperature as much as possible during the stay. Then, I'd add a "Cocoon Thermolite performer" liner to make sure I have a second line of defense when the poo really hits the fan. One or two MRE's give you something warm to eat when not able to use a fire! for example inside your car. A couple of air activated hand warmers won't cost much and surely will not do any harm.

Something not to underestimate in cold weather is the need of hydration. I'd suggest something with sugar to prevent freezing and to provide some calories and with caffeine to give an extra kick. That basically translates to some sort of Cola, Mountain Dew or your favorite energy drink.

Last but not least I would suggest a PLB. When stuck in an rural area, you most likely will forget the price tag faster. ;)

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.

"Inveniam viam aut faciam!" - I will find a way or make one!

kertap75 likes this.
  15. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Can't say enough good things about YakTrax, they saved my butt many a time when I was working in Anchorage. They grip icy pavements like nothing. Just remember to take them off when you come inside or else you'll slip on hard floors or get stuck on carpet.

16. Blackheart

I keep mine in a ziplock bag in the door pocket of the truck. If I put them on, I take the bag along with me so I have something to put the sloppy things into when I take them off.

ramjet, TarHeelBrit and SAKplumber like this.
  17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

What is a PLB? The first time I read it as PBR;)

18. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

On frozen car door locks: if you don't have de-icer you can heat your key just a bit (hey, that Bic does come in handy) and quickly insert the key ... usually works fine.

Years ago when I was a locksmith we got a service call from a guy at work late at night. He was the last to leave the building during a big snow storm and his car door lock had frozen up. Not a smoker and couldn't find any matches or a lighter, but he was a thinking man, so he went into the office kitchen and heated his key on the stovetop. Unfortunately, he had a 'call of nature' and when he came back to the kitchen a few minutes later his brass key had melted. So, we had to made him a new key with the code.

So, a LITTLE heat is good, but not too much (especially with those new fancy-smancy keys that have the alarm electronics in them ... Don't fry that, cause it is expensive to replace).

19. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

It is no beer and no boat, but a Personal Locator Beacon ;)

--
    Urban EDC philosophy: Getting things done for yourself and others.

"Inveniam viam aut faciam!" - I will find a way or make one!

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I shoulda known that:rolleyes: