1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ICE/Emergency ID Carry. Card? Bracelet?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by mooshi, Oct 13, 2012.

1. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I have my standard "dog tag" information as well as my NKA info tattooed on my left chest wall. It may sound morbid to some but it works. Here is the creepy part.....the chest wall usually survives to DNA match up the rest of the parts.

2. billybogota
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybogota Loaded Pockets

+
    +1 for "meat tags"

SAKplumber likes this.
  3. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I used to carry a pair of good old US military embossed dog tags around my neck, and still do in fairly high danger situations and while hiking. It works for me, and I'm glad to hear that they look for tags.

themadplumbarian likes this.
  4. mbick

mbick Loaded Pockets

I got a red/medical dog tag from MyDogTag dot com. It is on a chain around my neck whenever I step out of the house. Changing information should require less than $20 and maybe a week.

5. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

FIXX ID here

mooshisho likes this.
  6. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

Dog tags here for me and my not-so-little one (when she's away from us).

mooshisho likes this.
  7. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I do have dog tags, but the particular set I have has my home address on it. I think I may make a new set with just numbers and get one of my jeweler friends to punch a second hole into it to put on a paracord bracelet. I really don't like necklaces and don't really want it on my keyring either. Shoe tag, sure. :) Maybe that.

I'm still going to get a RoadID though. Besides [insert shameless plug], GIJ just got accepted into their affiliate program. :)

kd7dvd, SAKplumber and vegassprky like this.
  8. viix

viix Loaded Pockets

roadID user here.. I used to have dog tags but it's either under the shirt or on my key rings and in an urban setting, passerby's and the local first responders just don't look out for them.. they go straight for the wallet..
    I wear the bracelet RoadIDs all the time and I find it most useful when jogging or cycling where I do not carry around my ID cards on me.. the bracelets are pretty visible and is quite straight forward to point to when needed but I have no experience how useful it is in a emergency situation..

mooshisho likes this.
  9. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I got one of those myself, but I ended up putting it on my EDC bags zipper pull with a glow in the dark silencer, and a P-51 can opener. JR

10. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

A few year sago I carried the dog tag version of the RoadID, along with another dog tag with ICE contact numbers on it. Got away from carrying it EDC when my job dictated that anything around your neck could mean possible decapitation/hanging(heavy machinery and fast moving parts). Then drifted away from carrying it at all.... I should go find it and start again.

G.

TomWelch and mooshisho like this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

What does NKA stand for?

12. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

No known Allergies perhaps? Instead of NKDA?

TomWelch and SAKplumber like this.
  13. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

That's correct, No Known Allergies. In this case meaning no known reactions to standard drugs used in treatment. I would say that it is the most commonly used abbreviation with the most commonly recognized interpretation.

As a bonus, if you have never had a tattoo on your chest wall it HURTS, so one less letter does not hurt my feelings.

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Dog tags, one around neck (or in boot) the other on my key ring. Name, ICE, Diabetic, Med, and blood type.

ran23 and SAKplumber like this.
  15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

A good compromise is the interactive version of the road ID - the tag gives you a couple lines of customisable text for your name/address or whatever appropriate information you want, and then a link (online or phone) to getting access to a much more comprehensive dataset. This way the first responders do their standard job of keeping you alive (by any method) and when you get to the hospital they can get access to all the information you want to pass on (which is also updatable without replacing the tag, so if you want to keep a record of meds and similar you can keep it current).

After speaking to the local Ambulance guys I got a dog tag made up with my basic information on it to wear as a more permanent form of ID - If I am out on the bike I won't be carrying a wallet, and if something has hit me hard enough to knock me out I don't want to trust something electronic like a phone will survive - cue a titanium dog tag :)
    I just went for my absolute basic information - but enough to identify me to the relevant authorities - name, date of birth, hometown. As an extra I added a blood type/NKA, but tbh that isn't necessary - as mentioned above, in an emergency they will use the standard set to keep me alive, and when I get to the hospital they will be testing my blood anyway rather than trusting a dog tag (which is not guarantee'd to be mine, I could be easily be wearing someone else's or something entirely fabricated).
    For anyone that is interested, mine is a Ti tag from unique titanium, which I got engraved by a local jeweller (only very lightly etched by an engraving machine designed for silver and steel, but it did the job).

16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Dog tags. Inexpensive and universally recognized. Lots of places to order them on the web.

17. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

I will caveat my intervention with mentioning that any med info can be important to provide or have available, maybe sometimes. Having said that, all the many, and there are a lot out there, companies who offer any I.C.E. system through any means are more of a cottage industry than anything else. As some have said, not many first responders will waste time at the scene to find out if you have a condition, allergies and such. Most use protocols that are irrespective of your medical status but in line with your present condition/injury/problem. So in the big picture, if you have info available, great. I still believe all those companies are making more profit than offering real solutions. One difference is having medical info when travelling. If you have to go to a doctor (non trauma situation) having the most important info found on your med file can be of importance, then again, if you can speak??? Plus, consider that info in english might not be readily accessed in some countries. I still believe that a contact number to reach a reliable source in case of emergency is more important than the medical information you might have on you.

As for tattoos,Mil patches with blood type, NKA and the likes, if your practitioner goes by that alone, change practitioner....

18. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't know how the standard ball and chain dogtag necklace would hold up to high speed catching, but I do know that the thing will break away well before it injures you (at fairly low speed).
    The possibility of it getting caught on a high speed part, on the other hand, could be quite different. The necklace might just give you a nice, large laceration before it has enough tension to break if it was going fast enough. I haven't ever seen a case where the chain got caught in anything fast.

19. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I work in rail, lotsa rules about clothing and the like re. catching in switches. Ball chains are OK, as they can be easily broken in the gauge that is used for dog tags. My badge lanyard is paracord, but with a safety knot in it.

I would never worry about medics having to read your tag/whatever. Their job is to keep you alive till the surgeons can get to you. The modern procedures are allergen safe (no horse syrum, no AB+ transfusions etc.) After getting stabilised I would assume they would get around to contacting people. That is what the tags are for IMO.

thatotherguy likes this.
  20. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

I mainly wear mine to provide ICE contact info, although I also have my blood type and NKDA on them.