1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I would like some opinions on an inexpensive business casual watch...

Discussion in 'Watches' started by jazzbone1031, Mar 7, 2014.

1. jazzbone1031

jazzbone1031 Loaded Pockets

I work in retail management. I tend to have to dress in somewhat business casual attire (red polo-style shirt, black everything else). I really like the look of the G Shock 7900 series, but do you guys think it'd fit my attire? Also, I tend to prefer analog for appearance. But I may be starting to change my mind looking at these G Shocks. I really can't spend more than around $100. But I want it to look good at my job.

Suggestions?

2. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

A Seiko 5 can be had for about $60. They come in a variety of very handsome styles too.

Octane957 and jazzbone1031 like this.
  3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

+1 The Seiko 5 line gives you a lot of option under $100

Octane957 and jazzbone1031 like this.
  4. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

Times Retro! It really looks classy and is less than $50.

jazzbone1031 likes this.
  5. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I work in a similar environment (office, business casual). I bought a Casio Protrek PRW 3000-1a a few weeks ago. Awesome watch that looks good with most of what I wear (out of your price range, unfortunately). However, I picked up a Seiko 5 on the B/S/T forum here a couple of weeks ago. I've worn it to work everyday since I got it. Analog, automatic, and looks great.

In the end, get which ever makes you happy. If you're like me, you'll end up with both of them anyway;).

AK Adventurer likes this.
  6. jazzbone1031

Just did a quick amazon search for the Seiko 5 and that looks to be a winner! Thanks for the suggestions. Also, @twin63, that seems like a good suggestion, and you may be right. But, it seems like you also agree with the Seiko suggestion. And, @suburbDad, the timex retro look is kind of cool, but I prefer analog I think.

7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

So, I agree with the Seiko 5, but a few lessons learned that you should be aware first. I have owned and worn a Seiko 5 for several years now.
    • The self winding mechanism is not very forgiving, it requires a very specific "pattern" to your arm movement to wind itself. Some people seem to have this, and some do not. I personally do not. ;)
    • Manually winding the watch once every few days keeps it going (or just buy a winder to avoid this).
    • This watch has a bad habit of quickly getting out of sync if you don't keep it wound every few days (or have the previously mentioned motion to keep it self wound).
    Beyond this, it's a great watch and I have abused mine. Piece of advice, look at one in person if you can as you may not like the strap. It's a pretty common first upgrade if you buy the canvas straps.

[​IMG]

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  8. jazzbone1031

@FL Woods Bum, great to know!

9. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Just wanted to make sure the OP understood that the above model is not the only Seiko 5 available. This is the Seiko 5 military. The Seiko 5 line encompasses a large range of sizes and styles, many of which come on bracelets. Maybe look at model SNKL07, or SNX997, or just do an Amazon search for Seiko 5.

Also, the Seiko 5s do not manually, or hand wind, they are automatics only. Fl Woods, if yours is not staying wound from normal daily wear, there is mostly likely something wrong with it. The Seiko's wind bi-directional, so they are very forgiving normally of usage patterns.

10. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Thanks for catching my lack of explanation there, when I say "hand wind" I mean manually shaking it. I assume that is the understood way to "manually" wind an automatic. My watch has been back to Seiko already for repair (and was found to be good) and they are the ones who told me that some people have issues with their natural movements not being "compatible" with their watches, particularly the 21 Jewel Movement they use in this model.

With that said, while there are other models, they use the same 21 Jewel Movement and thus any concerns will be inherent to other models as well.

Note: This is far from my first Automatic or my first Seiko. :) While the Seiko 5 is a nice watch, it's no Omega or Breitling and there is a trade off for buying an inexpensive automatic.

11. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Assuming you aren't 100% sold on an automatic, you can also check out the Citizen Eco Drive line, they have a number of watches under $100, and they are nice watches. They will charge via solar as well as indoor lighting. I bought my Fiancée one 2 years ago when she worked as a Postal Carrier and it's been going strong for awhile now. So much so that I have been looking at one for myself. Just another option to consider.

12. Ugly

Ugly Loaded Pockets

Delete. Sorry, missed your budget.

13. Mp31x

Mp31x Loaded Pockets

Timex Weekender on leather band. I love this watch looks way fancier then it is

[​IMG]

Mazinkaiser and straightpuke like this.
  14. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I agree with Mp31x. I bought a Timex Weekender at Target for $30. You can choose from a black face or a white face and there are a bunch of watchstraps you can buy. I currently have a dark brown leather strap on mine. It's always a choice between the dark brown leather or OD green NATO strap.

15. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

I wear a red line Men's RL-60053 for my business casual. It works great for me in the business casual environment. And i have to have a chrono on all my watches.Also the 24 hour feature is nice because we use military time.

16. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Timex Weekender with Form Function Form leather strap. Check the FFF website or Huckberry.com.

17. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I am not really sure your chosen 7900 will really fit the 'analog' criteria ;)

As for what works, while I am very much for wearing an appropriate style of watch, I am noticing more and more people wearing things like G Shocks and Pathfinders without worry, so unless you work in a very uptight group, I can't see a problem. Certainly if your uniform is a polo I can't see G Shock looking too out of place.

As an alternative I would echo FL Woods Bum's comments on the Citizen eco-drives - superb watches, and available to fit a great range of budgets and styles - something like the BV1085 would be great as a 'do anything' watch that won't look out of place anywhere, or perhaps something like the BM8180 which can be completely transformed with a quick strap change. As a bonus most of them are pretty affordable to us mere mortals, and the eco-drive system seems to be one of the best out there in terms of giving you a bombproof, simple and accurate watch that needs no maintenance or checking.

The Seiko 5's are great watches (if it says anything I am wearing one of their bigger brothers - the SARB033 - right now), but for simplicity, accuracy and worry free use I would definitely have a look at the Citizen range and see what takes your fancy - you can't really go wrong with any of the current eco-drives.

18. zephyr11

zephyr11 Loaded Pockets

timex is a good choice.

19. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

Look at MVMT watches or the cheaper fossils too. I use both types when I'm dressing up (G-shock when I'm on duty)

20. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

+1 Seiko 5

As for this,
    With all due respect to Mr. Bum. Unless the manual says to do otherwise, the proper way to "hand wind" a automatic watch is via pulling out the stem and turning it 30 - 40 times.