1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I will never buy any other full-size light again.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by rongoms, Apr 21, 2009.

1. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

I have just spent the last 48 or so hours playing around with an evaluation sample of the Light for Life

I am stunned.

This light is simply the biggest advancement in LEO/Fire/EMS/Military lighting in decades.

I'm a stinger fan, going back to the original model, which was ideal for bike patrol. I've had he composite model, the extended, the top-heavy one with the expanded head unit, not to mention a dozen or so streamlights/magchargers over the years.

Now, i will simply buy another Light for Life. or two. or six.

For the geeky-types, it uses a capacitor, not a battery. some of you have seen this thing and 5.11's claim of it fully charging in 90 seconds. Well...it does. No Lie. I discharged and recharged it 11 times in a row and it never took more than a couple minutes. (on both AC or DC currents.) 270 freaking lumens.
    The tactical strobe is also 270 lumens. this thing will change your life, if faced with a need for the strobe, you'll think you're being attacked by a RAVE.

These are out of stock everywhere at the moment release is supposed to be June 09, some places are taking pre-orders, but stop trying to find tactical sharpie pens and find one of these lights.....best $169 you will ever spend on tactical gear.

2. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

Re: I will never buy another full-size light again.

The technology seems cool, but the form factor is off to me. The light is pretty large, even for police use. I am sure it will do well as 5.11 could sell anything and people will snap them up. I am a fan of lights in the stinger, Inova T5, Pelican 7060 size. Maybe in time 5.11, or whoever really makes this light, will scale it down.

3. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Not really possible at this stage. Capacitors we have right now still have lower energy density compare to batteries, so to have that runtime and output you are stuck with a large capacitor.

4. rschoolf

rschoolf Empty Pockets

Man! That is an incredible technology. By the way, it was discussed at length on the Security Now podcast, produced by Leo LaPorte. This technology is going to change the face of consumer electronics.

This is the second consumer device that I have heard of that uses this capacitor technology. The first one was a rechargeable screwdriver.

Within the next few years, we will all be using this new technology, and dry cells and rechargeable batteries will be a thing of the past. We will look back on them as we do phonograph records now.

No wonder this flashlight is so hard to get a hold of! Law enforcement agencies, and the military will be buying these things up by the millions. Just think about how much money they will save in batteries! Rechargeable batteries are good for about 500 charges or so, so a set of rechargeables lasts a year or two in daily use. Considering the price of $170, this flashlight will pay for itself within a couple of years, and it will be free sailing after that!

As good as MagLights were and are, this flashlight and technology changes everything.

5. GQGeek81

GQGeek81 Loaded Pockets

I think some of the Air Hog toys use capacitors. I don't think its super rare at this point. It does have some very cool implications.

I think the form factor of the light is UGGGGGLY but the target demographic appears to be professionals that would care more for function over form.

6. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

yeah, it's definitely not attractive, in the traditional sense....but remember that flashlight design was largely driven by the design of the power unit.....round. (save for a few firefighting lights using big honking square cells)

It's actually very comfortable in the hand, but the "rest on your shoulder in case the guy goes hinky and you need to hit him with it" aka, a cocked flashlight won't really work with this light cause it's so light it'll just piss him off.

yep, it's :censored: ugly, but i'm ok with that, in light of it's outstanding performance.

7. chirps

chirps Empty Pockets

Just a quick question:
    Does it have a tailcap switch or is it mounted on the body?

8. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

it's mounted on the body, in the same place as a full-size streamlight or magcharger.

The tailcap is where the charging contacts are located; it fits int he charging cradle end-down.

9. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

What type of LED's does it use?

10. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

Please explain, because I really don't understand what's so special?

This thing weighs 16oz....... wth...... polymer body...... I would definitely never buy this.

I can think of 10 different lights I'd buy instead of this. No offense. :-X

11. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

well...for one, it recharges in 90 SECONDS.

that's a minute and a half.

a full power flashlight that has a 270 lumens output that fully recharges in 90 seconds. that's significant.

flashlights aren't supposed to be impact weapons....and that is pretty much the only reason someone would want a heavy metal bodied flashlight. (other than over-compensating, i suppose :p)

12. PetaBread

PetaBread Empty Pockets

Has anyone made a review for this light yet?

If your a LEO, do you actually carry this light on your belt?

13. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge Loaded Pockets

If the light really recharges in 90 seconds and otherwise performs well, and the UI isn't dopey, it is in my opinion a game-changer. With rechargeables, when I want to use the light for an extended period that was unplanned (i.e., I didn't charge the light specifically for the occasion), the batteries always seem to have self-discharged enough that I have to change lights. With this light, plug it back in, 90 seconds later, ready to go. It will come in even handier in a power outage, either a short one or extended one (we have earthquakes here, you know). Use the light all you need, plug it into your car battery, 90s later you're ready to go. I'm definitely looking forward to reviews on this; I don't need it to be the brightest for its size, because the power technology is a big game-changer for me by itself.

14. SarGeek

SarGeek Empty Pockets

And people who you have been called to help aren't supposed to spit on you and swing at you but they do and flashlights work as impact weapons. Something that can be used as an impact weapon and keep working will survive day to day abuse.

15. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I like the technological aspect. However, that light is way too big. It needs to be half the current size before I would buy it.

16. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Sounds good to me. I'd also like to know what kind of LED (or LEDs) it uses.

17. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

I've reached out to find out what type of LEDs are in the unit.

Let's also put this in perspective; this is not a civilian EDC light. it's s duty unit...it is definitely too big for civilian plain-clothes carry...and it's not intended for that. i hate the way it hangs in the belt holder/ring (not that i'd carry it there anyway) and have provided that feed back to them and they say they are working on a few other carry options. (think the original ASP horizontal carry holster.)

As far as using a flashlight as an impact weapon when needed, yeah, if it's your only option, so be it. But that also means you are either woefully unprepared or tactically unaware. this place is kinda built around having the "right tool for the job"...otherwise we wouldn't all be carrying the metric :censored:-load of stuff we all carry.

18. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Forgive me if I ramble a bit. First off, a flashlights job is to illuminate the darkness. Yes a heavy flashlight with a metal body can be used as an improptu impact weapon, but that's not what its designed for. That job is filled by the baton/club. Light weight is a plus, seeing as how LEO and other professionals already have a ton on their belts. The rapid recharge time, bright output, strobe setting, savings costs vs. batteries etc. really do make this a landmark acheivment.
    For me, I'm just fine with my nitecore extreme...it has all I need as a private citizen. Low weight, small size, ease of use, good runtime on batteries and outstanding light output vs. size.
    This light for life isn't designed for edc use/carry in the private sector

19. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

Here's the question of the day... how long till it discharges? What's the runtime?

Those shake-till-it-charges lights use capacitors and they discharge pretty darn quickly... then you gotta shake them again.

90 seconds to charge might be awesome when it comes to recharge it... but how often is someone gonna have to do that?

20. rongoms

rongoms Empty Pockets

i consistently got 45 minutes of run time, playing around between melt-the-paint-off-the-wall 270 lumens and the "standard mode".

45 minutes of "search" time with the light at night is a darn long time...

I'd guess a couple hours with constant runnign at standard mode.....but who can't take 1.5 minutes to recharge?