1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I want to mod my knife, I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by djturnz, Oct 8, 2009.

1. djturnz

djturnz Empty Pockets

I would like to make my combo knife more useful. It is basically a SAK copy sold by Beretta. One of the features is that it has an LED light that turns on when it's folded out. Well the light started acting up and when I opened it up, I saw that one of the pieces that held it all in place is plastic and it had started to crumble. I tried to fix it, but no luck.

So now I want to use the space. I was thinking that it might be perfect as a 1/4 drive bit holder. However, as you can see from the picture, the bit fits with little room to spare, so I have no way to insert an actual hex piece to hold the bit.

An idea I had was that maybe I could remove the light housing and replace it with a bit holder. But I do not know if the knife will come apart easily or not. If it would, I could just get a bit driver and file it down to fit.

Does anyone have an idea on how I could make this happen, or perhpas another idea on what I can do with the space?

[img width=640 height=480]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/djturnz/1008090724.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/djturnz/1008090725.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/djturnz/1008090725a.jpg[/img]

2. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter Loaded Pockets

My Dear Friend,

Great idea!

Here's a thought: pick up an Acraglas Bedding Kit from your local gun store. Coat a removeable bit VERY well (multiple layers) with the release agent on all surfaces and let dry thoroughly. Mix some of the epoxy, add to the opening and insert the bit as far as it will go. Wipe off all excess epoxy and let it cure thoroughly. IF you applied the release agent well enough you will be able to pull the bit out (probably requiring pliers) and will have a well-formed socket for your bits.

If you didn't coat the bit well you have just created a very permanent new bit on your SAK. :lolhammer:

As a hint, gently heating the mixed epoxy before pouring will help liquify it and allow it to flow better into cracks and crevices, making for a better bond. A gunsmith friend of mine uses it to repair gunstocks in this manner - you can get it almost as liquid as the average superglue with gentle heating.

------------
    Hannibal

3. djturnz

djturnz Empty Pockets

This had crossed my mind, though I had JBWeld on the brain. I just figured that it wouldn't hold shape well enough, plus, it's a permantant situation, only get one shot.

4. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Solder could be a possibility

5. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

What about dropping a little rare earth magnet in the bottom and then doing as Hannibal suggested. Or the old light seems to be threaded. If you had a tap and die set kicking around you might be able to work an old bit holder and thread it into the hole. Epoxy or loc tite could help hold it together. Or you could make a micro light saber drop in and help the rebel alliance fight the trade union! :laugh:

6. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Is it strong enough to handle the torque of using the bit?

7. djturnz

djturnz Empty Pockets

I don't know, I also don;t have any better ideas.

AS for the light saber add-on: I was going to go with the light saber insert, but I am still making payments on the Heisenberg Compensators from my last project :)censored: Tachion fields). So I need to keep this one low budget.

Does anybody know if this can be taken apart like you guys do that mod the SAKs? I don;t know how to get the side piece off.

8. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

love the idea, just make sure that the material is hard enough to withstand the torsional forces that will be exerted on it

9. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

If you use Hannibal's idea with JB weld or Loctite Metal Putty it will work, the most important thing is to make sure everything is clean and grease free, clean with acetone or universal thinners. It won't be up to truck or tractor engineering but it will be a good GYOOT tool.

10. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

I am thinking about going with the epoxy way. Go out get some epoxy and Vaseline. Put a decent coat of Vaseline on the bit. Put a small amount of epoxy inside the light and slowly put the bit inside trying to keep it center so the Vaseline doesn't rub off.

It would be a very precise project and it would have to be done just right in order for the epoxy to be just right, along with holding the bit in their centered but it could work.

Or if you are good at soldering(Which I don't think would hold up with constant bit changing), you could try that.

Hope that helps.

11. Mike 56

Mike 56 Loaded Pockets

I bed rifles all the time using J-B Weld should work well for you i use Pam cooking spray for a release agent. You can also use modeling clay to keep the epoxy from going were you don't want it to go.
    Mike