1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I WANT to love all my knives but.......

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Ironclad816, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Ironclad816

Ironclad816 Loaded Pockets

EDCer's

I have a wide collection of folders and only one fixed (KaBar navy mk 1). From flippers to a larger collection of traditional's and want to love them all but in terms of utility and just a joy to use I keep coming back to only two or three. At work a SAK German Army Trekker and a Case sodbuster Jr/GEC Bull buster do the trick while in my civilian life the SAK Pioneer and MiniChamp combo have been unbeatable. Sometimes I'll through the Sodbuster on top of my SAK combos or toss in a stockman pattern for some change but I've got a few larger ones like a RAT 1 (can't recommend the assisted G-10 model enough) but i have trouble finding a real need for the extended size or weight.

The main reason for this post is the wife and I just moved into our first home (apt dweller up till now so a new experience) and the past week the mini champ and pioneer have lived on my hip more than anything else BY FAR, even the leatherman Supertool. Hopefully I run into more needs for larger fare when i start tackling yard/lawn work but I'm just curious as to weather any of you fall int the same trap with our rotation?

2. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Isnt that crazy....some of our knives look better "on paper" than in real life, but in the end they have their strengths, and weaknesses but they can't all be "favorites".

For me I love carrying my Case Peanut, vintage Schrade Old Timer Minuteman, and even Spyderco Ladybug. But lately...Ive added a few larger (larger than the Classics Ive had forever....) SAK's and have a newfound infatuation with those.

Im headed to Europe next month and will be taking only my Vic Compact, specifically chosen for its scissors (mustache and other orifice hair duties), tweezers, pen, and cap-lifter and legality in the countries I'll be carrying it in. What will be making the return trip home in my checked bag (Czeched bag?) remains to be seen.

3. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Sounds about like me. I have a lot of knives. Way more than I need. There was a while where I had settled into a carry pattern of a Victorinox Alox Cadet plus a Case Medium Jack or Medium Stockman for on-person carry, and for around the house chores, a Vic Alox Farmer and Case Large Stockman.

Currently I am down to just a Vic Alox Mini Champ on my keyring for on-person carry.

I leave a Case Sod Buster Jr and BM Griptilian in the car just to have available in case something comes up while I am out and about before or after work where the Mini Champ isn't going to be enough. Though so far I have never needed either of them.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Yep, gravitated to this years ago. That's why I've reduced my inventory to just less than 10 pocket/carry-type knives. I've never spent any more than what my CRK Sebenza cost (and I didn't pay retail since I have a friend that is a knife dealer) and never bought the ultra cheapie blades. I eliminated those that did not get much use.

5. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

man Gogogordi, be veeeery careful with those little SAK scissors around body orifices!!!

My better half was determined that I was not going to look like one of those hairy old guys with hair poking out everywhere. We were hiking in the woods this one time, and sitting on a log taking a break, she spied a hair sticking out of my ear. She took the little classic she carries and used the scissors to trim my era hair. Trouble was, she wasn't wearing her reading 'up close' glasses.

Well, you know that little divot that sticks out in the middle of the ear opening? Well she snipped that sucker a good slit, and it bled like a stick pig for 20 minutes or more, even with a folded up paper towel held on it for direct pressure.Those SAK scissors are surgical sharp, I can tell ya!!!

Moshe ben David and marc_NS like this.
  6. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

LOL...sorry about your ear. My Missus is also my ear-hair monitor. Tweezers is all I issue her.
    Now, I handle my moustache, and nasal trimming. Well lit restroom, while fully spectacled and stone cold sober.
    2 weeks is a long time hairwise for me, and I owe it to the Europeans to bring my SAK and represent as a well groomed American!