1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I want a sling pack.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Ecko, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Ecko

Ecko Loaded Pockets

The Moab 10 peeked my interest in these kinds of bags, but now after looking on the web I also became interested in a Maxped Sitka also. I was hoping maybe someone has both and could take a pic or two of them side by side. Also maybe a pic of how big it is on the back while wearing it.

2. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

I've only got a Maxped Lunada, and Sitka.

The reason I went with sling style packs is I used to use normal backpacks years ago and found them to be a PIA when I wanted to access contents quickly coz I had to completely take them off, sit 'em down, and then dig round for what I wanted.

I moved to shoulder messenger/satchel style bags which solved the quick access issue, but they flapped around way to much in the wind whilst riding my motorcycles.

Both the Lunada (small and basic carry) and the Sitka (much more room for Everything) solves the flapping in the wind problem.

I love both of them!

3. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Nothing against the Sitka but the MOAB10 is ambidexterous, you can change from one shoulder to the other in just a couple moments. With the Sitka you get one chance to decide and then stick with it. Maybe not an issue for some but I go back and forth depending on what I'm carrying or doing.

The same side-by-side question has been asked many times but I don't recall ever seeing a good response. The 5.11 is a bit bigger while the Sitka seems to have better organization. Lots of reviews here and elsewhere online for both bags including both manufacturers sites. Neither company has much of a dealer network but you should check to see if there's a store you can go fondle at.

4. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

/ten char.

Last edited by PinoyBoy, Feb 11, 2014
  5. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

I've always carried messenger/satchel type bags with the strap over my left shoulder, so choosing the "regular" Sitka was a simple choice.

On the other hand, my "ambidextrous" Lunada feels a bit "lopsided" no matter which side I carry it on.

6. inmypocket

inmypocket Empty Pockets

I want one to, but I am a Maxpud Head.....My first Max bag was drug behind a 4 wheeler for an hour before I knew it and it is now 3 years old and fine...Dirty as h#@@ but fine and everything zips and works...Not many items can take that abuse and live to tell the story. I have a Benchmade Rant 515 sheath that wishes it could take that abuse...

7. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Before you put your money down, you owe it to yourself to check out the sling bags by Hazard 4.
    Mine is the Rocket.
    The first fifteen minutes I owned it caused everything I own that was made by MaxPediddle to go up for sale/ trade.

;D ( Tried to trade off two more MaxP bags, to a friend named inmypocket, just yesterday !) :sigh:

There is not enough bold print nor italics on this keyboard to explain the massive difference! in user comfort & accessability & general layout.
    Just ordered two additional Haz4 straps, for a couple tool bags.
    Wish they made rifle slings.

~Gnarly :evilgrin:

8. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Sorry for the slight hijack but I'm in the same situation as the OP, and thought I had narrowed my choices to Sitka or MOAB 10 too! I like the look of the internal organisation of these, but the Rocket (or the plan B that has now reached my short list) doesn't seem to have as much. Do you think the main compartment would take some hook and loop organisers in the sides? The Sitka looks especially organised for chest mounted access, which is swaying me towards it, but if the H4 could be made just as useful...

I have recently bought the Ditch for my laptop and I'm quite impressed with the quality of this (and internal Pals loops).

9. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Yes. :agree:

Not as familiar with the Plan B,but the Rocket has 4 rows of MOLLE on each side,plus 3 rows on the front (therefore: easy to attach a velcro 'shingle' to); it has an organizer made inside the front lower pouch, and the entire inside 'sides' of the main compartment is made of soft material that'll 'grab' onto velcro....and comes with a usable 'divider'.
    The back zip compartment, meant for a velcro holster and/or a hydration pouch,is also lined with grabby material that latches onto velcro, but doesn't pill up or fray.

Plus two places on the strap itself,that would be easy to convert MOLLE to velcro, if you wanted.

Sidenote: on long hikes, the ambidextrous strap is a welcome changeup,too.

HTH,

10. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info, looks like I've got some thinking to do.

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I purchased my Hazard 4 Plan B sling not five minutes ago. HAD to tell somebody! Next on my list, after shipping, is finding a few small pouches for my FAK and other kits, that will fit nicely inside.

Come on UPS Ground! Luckily I have a UPS hub in town. That usually takes a couple of days off of shipping.

Oh yeah...got it at LA Police Gear. Free Shipping! Total with a $5 patch = $118.38

12. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Congrats & welcome to EDCF,SAKplumber!
    (A great place to visit, but yer wallet will hate it.)

Look @ Cocoon Grid-Its, for inside storage.
    They make a slim narrow one that fits well, keeping everything neat & handy.
    Last thing in the bag; first out.

Let us know how you like the Plan B.

13. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

My vote is Sitka.

IMO the Hazard looks poor, whether the Plan B or Rocket.

IMO the ambidextrous packs make no sense. I've owned backpacks for a long time and I can't think of one time EVER that I slung it on the opposite shoulder. If I did it would be for minimal time since it clearly would be awkward. I would only rationalize an ambi-pack if it was work related like a messenger where heavy loads and sustained wear are required.

I have the regular Sitka, though I would consider myself a lefty. It slings over the left shoulder and for quick carries to the house or around the block I can sling it over the right just like a backpack. It looks good, has decent organization, and is comfortable. I carry a couple books and some minimal gear (about 10-12lbs total). Great bag. Yeah it's trendy and it's Maxped, but it's a solid bag.

14. thooks

thooks Empty Pockets

I've been carrying a Maxped Malaga for about 4 weeks. Soon after, I discover the Moab 10. I ordered one. I'm a big boy and the center-mounted, ambi-strap isn't the best for over the shoulder, quick carry, but it works with the same side hand helping. I thought I read where the Moab 10 worked a little better than the Malaga for that, but I can't tell a difference.

The Moab 10 is more inline size-wise with the Malaga than the Sitka. I don't know why many folks compare the Moab 10 to the Sitka...

I will say they are different bags. The Moab 10 does not have the small pouch on top for easy access to the small, most-accessed/needed daily items, but the Moab 10 does have a small sorta hidden pocket at the top.

I haven't decided whether I'm keeping the Moab 10 or sending it back. I haven't used it, just un-zipped it a bunch and 'looked' at it. I wouldn't kick it out of bed, but I'm used to the Malaga and like it. Sounds crazy, but I like the Moab 10 just as well. It's just a slightly different bag...

15. Tarponfly49

Tarponfly49 Loaded Pockets

Love my lunada...perfect for my iPad and extra stuff for work...

16. Ecko

Ecko Loaded Pockets

Well I ordered MOAB 10 yesterday. The fact that it's ambidextrous, was a big plus. I already have a RUSH 24 in black so my black MOAB will go perfect with it. I think I saw that they can be attached to each other for tiered carry.

Now the hard part, waiting for it to arrive.

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

18. BCGarrick

BCGarrick BST/Marketplace ban

I got a black Sitka for sale. $60 shipped. Great shape. Cobra weave handle. :)

19. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Remora and the bigger variants are IMO maxped best products

20. BullRome

BullRome Loaded Pockets

I was considering the Lunada myself. Added one to my Christmas list. I dig this bag but don't want to look too "tactical" as it will also be used to carry some books for my graduate classes. My guess is that choosing black over the other colors will make it a little more low key.