1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I want a lighter like a zippo but not....

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Tallboyjim, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Than you in advance for persevering into a badly titled thread but I couldn't think of a better one!

I need a lighter. I don't smoke (but 15 years after quitting I miss it badly) but with my job now and again I need to set fire to stuff in a variety of places (don't panic, it's all in the name of safety). I spent the better part of 30 mins trying to find shelter from a cold breeze (it wasn't that windy) trying in vain trying to set fire to a bit plastic with a bic lighter that was getting plenty hot without doing its core job of setting fire to this bit of plastic. In the event I had to beg and borrow a friends blow torch but I'm pretty sure I'd have done the whole thing quicker with a zippo.

I used to own a zippo for years, a nicely worn chrome one - I may still do but I can't find it. I do remember them drying out if neglected, and my fire starting activities will be sporadic so I suspect butane is the way to go. I've looked at some inserts and other gas lighters and they both seem to have the same problem, holding a button or something (often next to the flame) to keep the flame going rather than the zippo which will stay lit once the Flint is struck. I know the zippo will get hot after a while but not has hot or as fast as a bic or disposable. And there's a bigger flame too which is helpful.

Are there brands of inserts that will do that job or a cheaper alternative altogether?

Thanks folks!

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you are okay with a soft butane flame (like a Bic), Vector Thunderbird makes an insert with a flint wheel that will stay lit. They call it the "Classic" instead of a "jet" lighter.

3. Tallboyjim

Thanks for that. I think that might be the way to go in lieu of any other options. I've seen a few second hand zippos on eBay (although I'll have one last bash at finding my old one) and get an insert.

4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Here is a thread with some nice photos of said insert.

Butane lighters are notoriously frustrating to use in the wind. Might want to consider a peanut lighter, also.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  5. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

Let me introduce you to my grail lighter: The Douglas Field S

The coolest lighter ever. O-rings mean it's waterproof and doesn't evaporate like a zippo, and it has a built in fuel reserve and section for a spare flint. I'm waiting on my next fountain pen purchase from Japan and I'm going to buy one then.

6. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Cool. Here is the thread. Looks like there are domestic (USA) sources.

JoshTF and Tallboyjim like this.
  7. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I was not in the market for a lighter. At all. Haven't smoked in years, but....I need one of these.

8. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

I really like this one... I guess your post costs me money :(

9. Tallboyjim

Second hand spectrum bought this week. Will go for the soft flame thunderbird in time.

10. caiopn89

caiopn89 Empty Pockets

I recommend purchasing a zippo, the product quality and durability of it, can be a little more expensive than competitors but is of excellent quality. It will be forever. Your grandchildren will use.

WillAdams likes this.
  11. Donut
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Donut Loaded Pockets

I picked up a thing from one of the bargain websites about 6 weeks ago. It's called a Tesla Coil Micro USB rechargeable lighter. I can't imagine wind will stop that thing from working at all.

So far I've only had someone I know who smokes test it out, he says it lights.

I'll have to test it out in the wind.

12. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

Consider this one. It's on my wish list. Windmill Delta stormproof lighter.

Nick4305 and mauiblue like this.
  13. John McNalley

John McNalley Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a Douglass Field S for a few years now - love it. I've gone for months without using it, never had to worry about evaporation of the fuel. The only down side, and it's a minor one, is that it takes non-standard flints. Picked mine up from Blade HQ.

MinistryOfTruth likes this.
  14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Try to handle one before you buy it. I had one for a while and was not a fan. It's a chunk of weight and its performance wasn't what I would have hoped for in a lighter that expensive.

Fire Fighter likes this.
  15. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Ronson Butane.

16. tattoosteve99
    • In Omnia Paratus

tattoosteve99 EDC Junkie!!!

Had one. Broke within a week. Customer service wants about as much to fix it than it cost to start with. I went with a little buddy torch lighter. I can replace the piezo and I have 2 times. Still working after 3 years.

Fire Fighter likes this.
  17. littleme

littleme Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased a Vector Thunderbird butane insert with the soft flame for my Zippo. Absolutely love it. I went with this model as you dont have to hold the button down as opposed to the jet flame version. Also i like how it keeps the lighter looking closer to its original look. And as the flame is adjustable you can choose weather you want to crank it up to a massive flame or not:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  18. Budgie Smuggler

Budgie Smuggler Loaded Pockets

Get a z-plus insert for a zippo, they can be picked up fairly cheap on eBay and basically give you a jet flame in a zippo body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plague112 likes this.
  19. Tallboyjim

Mine was delivered Friday as it happens. It's just what I wanted, all that zippo sexiness only it works after a couple of weeks without use.

I haven't cranked the flame up. But I'm going to!!!!!!

20. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I plan to buy one soon. Ever since I've seen these lighters on EDC I just had to have one.

I've had one of these for a couple years now. No issues whatsoever. Works well and fits in a small pocket in my 5.11 backpack.

Fire Fighter likes this.