1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I think I've reached the finish line

Discussion in 'Knives' started by StuntZombie, Apr 10, 2022.

1. StuntZombie

StuntZombie Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

That picture shows all the knives I currently own, sentimental pieces included. And, I think it's a pretty good stopping point for me. I'm at the point where nothing else I see looks all that compelling, or it doesn't offer anything more than what I already have.

I think part of it has been realizing my actual needs as I've gotten older. I don't need a huge tactical folder to open boxes or cut zip ties, and I'm certainly not planning on deactivating any sentries any time soon. I appreciate steels that are easier to sharpen now. I've owned a few of the "super steels" and found them to be more of a headache than a help. The trade off in edge holding doesn't bother me when it's so much easier to bring them back to my preferred level of sharpness. I also like knives that are more corrosion resistant, or failing that, easy enough to clean up when they finally do need some detailing. The Swiss Army knives almost fail in this regard because they have so many nooks and crannies and can't be disassembled. Their utility tends to outweigh any of their drawbacks though.

In theory, if I narrowed it down even further, to the ones that just get carried on a regular basis at work and home, it would look more like this:

[​IMG]

I don't know that I'm quite there yet though. Besides, it's nice having a little bit of choice if I decide I'd like to carry something different.

Is anyone else at the same point, or getting close to it? Have you found the ones that keep you from considering anything else?

#1 StuntZombie, Apr 10, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  2. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Nope. Not even close. For me, the finish line is the oven door in the crematorium.

That Movie Guy and Lateck like this.
  3. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

There's a finish line?

That Movie Guy and Lateck like this.
  4. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I’m with you. Drawers full of unused items don’t do it for me anymore. Give me a SAK, a Syderco Clipit, and a Leatherman…and a Buck 110 for nostalgia sake, and I’m good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post tenebras and StuntZombie like this.
  5. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I'm almost there. There are some in my collection that I will never carry nor part with, but I've been whittling down the herd lately.

StuntZombie likes this.
  6. StuntZombie

Well, there was one for me.

Same here. I'm not going to hold it against anyone if they want a huge collection, I just don't see the point of having a lot of knives just to have a lot of knives.

MatBlack likes this.
  7. MORT

MORT Loaded Pockets

I wish that I knew about this finish line about 300 knives ago!

Lateck, twin63, StuntZombie and 4 others like this.
  8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

No finish line in sight, but the road towards it is getting smaller and not as many can along.

It’s hard though. I really dislike having unused stuff lying around, but I’m also still curious and trying to learn. For me it has been more about keeping the numbers from inflating, letting stuff go as I move on.
    The numbers have been steady for a while now, so reduce and refine will be my next challenge.

Though I’m happy for you and your arrival at your destination, I’ve got to ask; there’s a glaring shortage of wharnecliffes, hawkbills and serrations in that picture.
    If you don’t like any of that, that’s fine. I’m just surprised to see a decent size collection with none of these utilitarian features represented.

Lateck, StuntZombie and post tenebras like this.
  9. StuntZombie

I actually had a few wharncliffe's and serrated blades up until a couple months ago. I think the only one I have left is the Santa Fe Stoneworks Delica, and that one has more sentimental value than utilitarian. I really used to love the look of the wharncliffe, and it was my favorite blade shape for a while. Over time though, I realized I prefer a blade with just a little bit of belly and a low point, kinda like what's on the Boye. It was the same for me with serrations, I liked them until I didn't anymore. I find a coarse plain edge seems to work just as well for me these days.

As for a hawkbill, I owned one for a bit and was never quite impressed with how it performed. It worked well for a few things, but it wasn't as versatile as I had hoped.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have found myself only really carrying the Manix LW for the last few years though I try switching it up at times the combination of light weight and strength is all I seem to need while working.

I do have a deep fondness for this one too when not working though a Delica does everything better too?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick4305 and StuntZombie like this.
  11. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

Yup, I have all the knives I or any next of kin, will ever have any use for. As you said, nothing entices me enough to drop another couple hundred bucks on, that I don't already have or fits the niche.

I won't say that I will never buy another knife, but I have put myself into a situation that only prohibitively expensive knives now only get a second glance and unless I win the lottery, they won't get that "buy now" button pushed. Then again, since I don't play the lottery, ain't going to happen anytime soon.

StuntZombie likes this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Same here. Used to own a lot of knives. Sold a lot, kept some that I have owned since I was a kid. As for the rest of them, I don't use folders anymore except a vic. My go to knife is is a companion. Just own a few mora's, an esee and a tram now.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

StuntZombie likes this.
  13. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I think I reached that line, as far as new purchases go, sometime around the end of 2015. My cutting needs are well served, in the kitchen as well as around the house, yard, and general utility. I don't need any kind of cutting tool for work.

StuntZombie likes this.