1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I think I might over EDC

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Matt1911, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Matt1911

Matt1911 Empty Pockets

I'vn EDCing my whole life, although I didn't always call it that. Lately I feel like I carry everything I own around with me:) I live in a very rural area and work as a farm mechanic. I carry a maxpedition condor II it weighs 20 lbs that doesn't include the stuff in my pockets or the stuff in my vehicle. The bag usually is ether in my service truck or on my tool box or in my personal vehicle So its not like I actually have it on my back. But I still think I need professional help:) I mean do I really need all that stuff with me all the time?

2. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Less talky, more piccys

:p

Only kidding, welcome!

Sriracha likes this.
  3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Only you can answer if you are under of overdoing it. :)

4. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I take it that if I don't use something in a year then I'm probably not going to need it in the next so there''s no need to hang it round my neck

MWDP and mole like this.
  5. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

as far as my experience goes, this could be a beginners (?) syndrome. i remember carrying everything around that would be needed for atomic final strike - alien abduction - zombie apocalypse - i am legend - scenarios.... until the point when i started to dislike my tons of gear on me. i looked like optimus prime in a camo suit.:oops:

now i carry fewer items, and i know, i cannot be prepared for everything. but edc is also about know how. with lots of know how, that gives it a good balance for my everyday-use of edc.

boyo17 is right with his rule...

6. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Over EDC is like too much money or too much sex. It may be a difficult burden, but someone has to bear it, are you up for the challenge?

Gh0st, powerring, xbanker and 8 others like this.
  7. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Boy, you're in the wrong place to ask this question. To draw a comparison, if you're an alcoholic you go to AA, not the International Beer Festival. :D

Gh0st, ac7ss, xbanker and 7 others like this.
  8. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

boyo is right on with his comment. EDC bags are a growing and learning process. If items are not utilized regularly, reserve them for a BOB (or chuck them all-together, your call) and eleviate your EDC of the weight and clutter.

I also have to echo shmook's comment... pics of your gear, please! :D

9. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

We all do, brother, we all do. Ignore the impulse and move forward. Oh, welcome to EDCF.

Gnarly likes this.
  10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

There is no Overkill.

There are only two distinct groups of EDC'ers in this world: Those of us who are prepared.

powerring and xbanker like this.
  11. T.H.Cone

Which one are you in?:p

Gnarly likes this.
  12. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

The group who believes there is no Overkill.

gibbsrule9 and KAMM like this.
  13. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I'm with gnarly!

Gnarly likes this.
  14. T.H.Cone

Oddly, we ALL are with Gnarly.

KAMM and Gnarly like this.
  15. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Hmmmm....that is kinda bizarre.

KAMM likes this.
  16. T.H.Cone

Well, you said there were two groups, but then only named one group. I assume that is the one we are all in.:confused:

And on a side note, we should really stop "greeting" new members this way or people are going to think we're "bizarre".:eek:

17. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Well, the Other Group is

[​IMG]

the Minimalists. They rejoice over how light their loadout is, they forge ahead on every trail, with vim & vigor, but can be found waiting @ the next turnout....to borrow what they didn't bring....knowing we brought plenty + spares....and also knowing: during our childhood, we got up early, ate our oatmeal, walked six miles uphill to the end of the lane & caught the short bus to school....that we didn't call our Mommie after recess to come and get us early....no, we stayed in school all day, on The Day They Taught Us To Share....so we'll not only have what they need, but will smile and hand it over......just further proof that Old Age & Treachery will always win out over Youth & Exuberance, and steady wins the race, and he who laughs last, laughs best.

zebedee, T.H.Cone, kertap75 and 3 others like this.
  18. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

I won't attempt to top the humorous answers you've gotten. :) So I'm gonna go with a serious reply: Yes, you do need it! Maybe even more.

Why? You list your location as "Rocky Mountains." That means cold and snow part of the year (depending on where you're located, and how extreme the cold/snow, could complicate an otherwise routine "situation"). You said very rural area. That might mean not a lot of people around to help should you find yourself in a "situation." You're a farm mechanic. Might that mean you sometimes go out in the field to where the equipment is (semi-remote) ... by yourself? To me, all of these factors support advisability of having fairly comprehensive EDC, both on-person and in your vehicle (read: well-equipped to deal with unexpected predicament without outside help).

For a really precise answer, would be helpful to know what's in the Maxp*d Condor and "the stuff in your vehicle."

powerring and Gnarly like this.
  19. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

We can't know that. Do you?
    • If you do, then you are not overdoing it. It's probably still possible to streamline and lighten your kit. It usually is.
    • If you don't, then you know what you can leave home.
    • If you don't know, then do what boyo17 suggested and try paring it down. Go through your stuff and if you don't remember the last time you've used something (if ever), leave it home. If you discover that you do need it after all, put it back.
    There's no right or wrong way to EDC. You don't have to overkill and you don't have to be a minimalist. Some of us go through phases of both overkill and minimalism. Overkill is fun, until your back begins to hurt. Striving for an absolute minimal setup is also fun. But if you need a big pile of tools to do your job, then you need them and that's it.

powerring and Gnarly like this.
  20. Rsxtacee

Rsxtacee Loaded Pockets

List and pictures! We've all been through it. Hell, I have redundant items (and then some) in my daily carry. Just have to streamline everything.

Gnarly likes this.