1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I sound like my grandfather...The hunt for quality.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by gdwtvb, Jan 3, 2021.

1. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I find myself sounding like one of the old guys when I was a kid, "They don't make things like they used to!"

Now that I'm in my fifties I guess I might be one of those old guys.

I think I have now been disappointed in decreasing quality in every single type of clothing I have ever purchased...except Tilley Hats. God Bless Tilley Hats!

From Carhartt Jeans to Hanes underwear, the quality seems to go nowhere but down.

I'm sure we've all experienced it, we find something we like, a certain brand and model, like work boots, and then the next time we need a pair, they are no longer available, don't fit due to design changes, or have been redesigned using lower quality materials and they fall apart. Frustrating!

Enough of a rant, and onto my request for help. I need some new undershirts. I found a great brand that was quality I really liked, Harbor Bay sold by DXL. They weren't the cheapest, but really hit the sweet spot for cost v/s quality...until my last two orders. $33 dollars for a pack of three that won't last a year.

I like A-shirt/sleeveless/tank style, preferably in black, and I need a 2XLT or 3XLT. Is it too much to ask for a set of 9 undershirts to last at least a year? I've looked at Duluth trading, but $25 apiece for imported cotton undershirts? Surely there is a good option that is not quite as expensive.

post tenebras and parnass like this.
  2. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Growing up in So Cal in the '50s/'60s and being a surfer and hot rodder the only T-shirt to wear was JC Penny's "Towncraft". Affordable and built like tanks in a 100% cottom or 40/60 blend. Alas, like everything else I've witnessed in my 70 years, they were discontinued and now bring ridiculous prices used on the dreaded eBay. Penny's replaced them with the "Stafford" brand. Total POS, not worth a darn. BUT, after years of consumer complaints, JC Penny found a company still in the "Fortrel" fiber business, willing to make a substitute to the original "Towncraft" 40/60 specification. These are now JC Penny branded as the "Stafford Essential" cotton/poly. I just picked up a package and they "feel" like the real deal and time will tell if they "wear" like the real deal. Not sure if they make them in 3XLT as I'm just a run of the mill Large but you might want to check them out because $25 a t-shirt is almost criminal in its absurdity. :smile_coffee: I've also seen Carhartt's heavy pocket T on sale here in Utah at 2 for $25 in the past.

If you're looking for a 100% cotton, tight necked T, I'd suggest the Enkalda Heavyweight. Think you can get them on Amazon but they're in the $20 per range. That's what one of my boys buys, says they're "the bomb", WTFTMs.

Last edited by medic68, Jan 3, 2021
    #2 medic68, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    post tenebras likes this.
  3. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Hear hear it for the Tilley hats!

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  4. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

I have a 12 year old Tilley, still wear it everyday!

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

The struggle is real.
    Happens across all types of clothing (or all consumer products for that sake).
    In outdoor clothing it has been a trend since the nineties to make technological advancements that make the garments faster, easier and cheaper to produce, and even charging more by marketing these advancements as a benefit to the end user.

By now we’re so indoctrinated with throwing away stuff and buying replacements, that it doesn’t bother most people. It’s just a nice excuse to get the latest fashion and keep up with the Jones’s.

Sorry, got carried away on a rant myself :)

Not sure I have any advice for that specific type of shirt, but for regular black t-shirts, the 5.11s seem to be OK value. I got one pack almost a year ago, when I forgot to pack t-shirts for a trip I was going on. Coincidentally I was visiting a friend that works in a gun shop in the same area I was visiting, so he helped me out with a pack of the only plane jane t-shirts he had. I think it was 3 or 5 in the pack, and it wasn’t very expensive either. Color and shape is holding up nicely so far.

6. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Just curious what you do that undershirts don't last a year? I'm in my 50s as well, and I have t-shirts that have lasted a decade or more, and I only throw out or donate to Goodwill because I want something else. For me, socks are what I go through the most that don't last a year. I wear Underarmour athletic socks because they are so comfortable to me that I don't mind replacing them a few times a year.

7. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

This is exactly why I am so frustrated, I don't do anything other than wear them, under my shirt, and then they are laundered. I generally try to buy at least six when I need them. Realistically, one of my undershirts gets worn about fifty times a year, and goes through the laundry exactly that same number of times. I've never spent money on 'extra clothes,' and I have never had more than 10 undershirts at a time in my entire life. I am frustrated because In the past I could, and did, go several years between buying undershirts, while I am now down to 4 undershirts and all four of them are coming apart. I bought 6 undershirts about a year ago...and two of the ones I still can wear are not from that order, but a previous one. (They are the same brand and make, but white and undoubtedly better quality.)

Grizz

I am aware that if I was to buy twice as many, the time between purchases would be twice as long.

8. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Perhaps you might be using too much bleach in the laundry? That could cause the shirts to break down faster. I rarely use bleach myself, and just for my white socks.

9. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

For a black tank top, I get Hanes and they last a good while. Not sure you can get just black ones though, the ones I get come in a 3 pack with black, dark gray, and light gray.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

10. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Costco's Kirkland brand t-shirts are excellent, but only come in white.

post tenebras likes this.