1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I saw "TAKEN" on Sunday night. SEE IT. It was GREAT!

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by peacefuljeffrey, Feb 16, 2009.

1. peacefuljeffrey

How often do you see a movie where, at the end, people applaud the movie?

I mean, you see that happen at a movie like Forrest Gump, right?

Well, it happened tonight when I saw "Taken."

Let me put it this way: Liam Neeson looks like he's about 38-42 years old in this movie, and I would say he was, in this one, about 225% as cool as Harrison Ford has ever been on his best day.

THAT is how much I enjoyed "Taken." I heartily recommend that you see it.
    I can't think of the last time I paid $9.25 for a movie and felt that I had gotten my money's worth, but this time, I surely did.

2. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

That's on my list, but the wifey puled an ace card and said she wanted Confessions of a Shopaholic.

Took her out to dinner.

3. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

Well, kidnapping the daughter of a Jedi Master is just asking for trouble ;D

4. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

I agree, it is worth seeing. I enjoyed it.

5. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

I've Had the Movie about four months now ? Distinguishly Aquired !!! Got it before i saw any movie trailers for it , Someone put it on my Ipod , ;D well any way i couldnt wait for the movie to come out so i can talk About it , as for Liam , He Pulled this one out of his A** O0 he did a great job !!!! Initially he started the movie , with kinda of a dorky swagger , before the Teen Rock Star sceen ! then BLAM !!!! NON-Stop Action ! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
    Batman begins he was good , starwars Phantom Menace he was better ... that was also ten years ago !! batman three , wasnt as active but active !! ? but he killed it in This Movie , I even seen on the Big Screen ,and it was deffinatly worth the $$$ To See it ...... Although Now when my Daughter comes of Age when she starts driving , (in a few Years ) i will be Nervous / Cautious ETC .............. I had a customer whom seen it on my Ipod list .. He said you already have this , I said I've HAD IT !!!!! .... He Had His Car and his Daughters Car in the shop , getting some Stereo Work Done ! I said To Him If i let you See this YOU WILL NOT LET HER OUT OF YOUR SITE !!!!!

accuired that movie as well for my wife !!! ;D

6. DiabloSc(+)pe

looks more at the 48 +++ years old , he pulled the Charels Bronson Overseas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

7. peacefuljeffrey

"Charles Bronson overseas"! I love it! :laugh:

I just could not get over how incredibly FIT he looked! The guy must be working out, heh.

I think this movie followed in the path of "Man On Fire," in that FINALLY the moviemakers are beginning to let the good guys get really really angry, and do some SEEEEERIOUS DAMAGE, and be RUTHLESS with those who deserve it, instead of like Spiderman, leaving them all trussed up for the police and the "justice system" which obviously does not deal with them adequately.

The final killing in this movie was HiLARioUs!! :lolhammer:

8. peacefuljeffrey

You ain't lyin', bro, you ain't lyin'! :cool:

9. fuzzypockets

fuzzypockets Empty Pockets

Hello

Thanks guys , i have to go see it for sure now

FP

10. icqcq

icqcq Loaded Pockets

This is classic action film writing: Luc Besson knows how to craft a film. He spends the first half hour developing characters and situation, but once he cuts loose with the action, the next hour is nothing but building and building the forward trajectory of that character: no developing backstory for the villains, no momentary pauses for pangs of conscience or guilt: there is no hesitation in this film.

The only other really good contemporary film I can think of that follows this same, powerhouse arc is Kevin Bacon in Death Sentence. Both great actioners, with very little drama to interfere.

11. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I'm sorry, I'd have to disagree. I went to this film thinking it would be realistic. They lost me at the construction site scene. It reminded me of an A-Team episode. There were a couple of other scenes where my suspension of disbelief was't strong enough to let me enjoy it. As an action movie it was pretty good but overall I didn't really enjoy it.
    My .o2.

12. peacefuljeffrey

Another movie I enjoyed along a similar line as "Taken" was "Man On Fire." I remember being gleeful about the utter contempt and malice and wrath that Creasy had for the kidnapping scum in Mexico City. Few movies allow that to go on.

13. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I saw this afew months ago (its just come out on DVD here, the "harder directors cut", too!) & I enjoyed it immensely.
    I thought his speech to the BG on the phone & his initial meeting with him was superb.
    Its a rather grim & grimy film, but it deals with a rather grim & grimy subject, doesnt it?
    I thought his relentless pursuit of the villains & his moving up the BG food chain was entertaining, if not totally realistic, & I enjoyed the construction site scene the least.
    There was also a pretty high body count (Ive heard it compared to Rambo 4!) & I found his daughter quite annoying, I feel they shouldve used a younger (better!) actress.
    Overall, a good movie & I'll buy it in a few months when its down to a fiver in the sale.

Oh yeah, Holly Valance (Aussie "Neighbours" actress & pop hottie!) plays the pop singer in it, too. She's lovely! :smitten:

14. NinjaClerk

NinjaClerk Loaded Pockets

Peacefuljeffrey--do you remember the 'original' "Man on Fire" with Scott Glenn? That was a wicked movie hands down. If you haven't seen it--Netflix it. And let me know what you think. I was personally a little disappointed with the Denzel version. Scott Glenn was awesome and he (like Liam) is not someone you want to make mad.

15. dual-primed

dual-primed Empty Pockets

Yup. I applauded as well. I appreciate a good father's-vengence movie.

Now if I can only acquire some "special skills"......

16. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Saw it about 6 months back. So hopefully my comments based on memory and a quick scan of the plot on wikipedia arent too far off.

Really enjoyed it for the most part but i felt it lacked in a few areas and the ending was kinda sucky. I would have preferred it just take him longer to work up the ladder of the Albanians and there wasnt that whole random stuff with the auction and the middle eastern guy. Also i vaguely remember the construction site scene, enough to remember it brought the film down. But i think it was balanced with the phone call scene which was just truly awesome.

Also, i liked Maggie Grace in it, but the whole thing with Holly Valance i disliked. Not because of Holly Valance (who i just read is related to Benny Hill, lol) but it ended up being a pretty forced ending from what i remember of it. Like they couldnt let the daughter go through all that and not have her character rewarded with something great at the end so she gets vocal coaching and presumably becomes a star singer. End the film when they get back to the US and the daughter hugs the mother as its just an awesome point to end the film on.

But it had plenty of "thats so :censored:" moments without the "that would so never happen" that too many of these types of films often have. Ill definitely revisit it soon, and its not often i say that about a film released over the last couple of years (can probably count them on one hand).

17. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I saw the movie the night it came out in the US, and was blown away by it.

This film makes me wish Liam Neeson had decided to become a full-time action star.

I'm not normally a fan of "non-stop roller-coaster action!", but this one was so engaging I never realized that I wasn't breathing till I started breathing again at the end. The only issue I had was that Luc Besson has partially adopted the Paul Greengrass (director of the Bourne Supremecy and Bourne Ultimatum) technique of shooting and editing action scenes. Greengrass puts together action scenes as an unrecognizable blur that ruins the action; Besson did not go to the same extreme, but on a few action scenes, the camera was moving too fast and the actors weren't as clear as they should have been. Even so, Besson was in top form directing his actors and staging his shots.

And Liam beats Bourne's butt.

18. DiabloSc(+)pe

Oh Ya I Almost Forgot , The U.S. was the 38th country To be released in !! third from the last :thumbsdown: Would love to find that Director's Cut !! Cant WAIT !!!! :p My Fave Part Was The Interrogation Scene ! When He Found Marco !!!! :popcorn: :popcorn: :yikes:

19. icqcq

icqcq Loaded Pockets

Just looked for the original (1987) Man On Fire with Scott Glenn, and it doesn't show up on Netflix; it's out of print on DVD, at least in the states....

20. NinjaClerk

NinjaClerk Loaded Pockets

Bummer!! That is too bad. One of the main things I loved in the original was a scene where the kidnappers take the girl he is protecting in an intersection and one of them has a gun to Scott's head. Scott just starts to sob hysterically. The kidnapper looks away in disgust for just one microsecond and that was all that Scott needed. That's when the body count starts to rack up.