1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need something to light my way...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by thol, Oct 26, 2013.

1. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

The winter is coming and it gets dark early so I am in need for a good light:)

It should fit in a pocket in my jacket
    Run on AA or other usual batteries
    Long runtime, 2 or more modes?
    not to expensive

I´m already carying a E01 so think 4 to 7 inches (10-18 cm)

Last edited by thol, Oct 26, 2013
  2. netcat

netcat Loaded Pockets

Foursevens Preon P0

3. Badlees

Badlees Loaded Pockets

I really like my Streamlight Microstream, excellent light for $20

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Fenix E11. Runs on a single AA battery, two modes - the "low" mode runs for 7 hours. Small enough to comfortably carry in your pocket.

5. Ronin87

Ronin87 Loaded Pockets

Olight s20 baton

6. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

Ronin- the olight whas intresting:)

7. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Streamlight Stylus Pro
    Uses 2 x AAA
    Technically only one mode, but still a great light.

Tank007 makes a few nice lights that are inexpensive and fit your buying criteria. I have a TK566 which has 5 modes and uses a single AA. It've very well built, and I like it, I just don't like having 5 modes.

8. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Peak Logan 17500 ....

Blerv likes this.
  9. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

What's too expensive? 1xAA and 100+ hrs of *useable* runtime are my minimum EDC requirements, but that requires an efficient sub-/low- lumen light which generally does not come cheap - under $100 is easy, under $40 is a different matter.

10. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

Because of the fact that I´m planing to by it in sweden it´s hard to say how many $ it is allowed to cost. But 700 skr(Swedish currency) is about 110 dollar but I´m guessing that is´t correct to think so a Olight S35 Baton is on that limit

11. bcWRX-02

bcWRX-02 Loaded Pockets

Do you need a light that throws a fair distance? If not, I've been happy with my Zebralight H502 flood, it's perfect for walking around at night and avoids the "tunnel vision" effect of traditional throwy lights. Additionally, with the 90 degree head you can clip it to your shirt/jacket for hands-free operation, or use it as a headlamp. If you need light more than 20ft in front of you this isn't the best choice, but for walking around the house at night and working on stuff up-close it's great

Mickey Holmes likes this.
  12. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Fenix LD12
    Nitecore BA10
    Olight i2. (I would take this one any day, small reliable twisty with good modes, perfect clip and runs a single aa)

13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Ahhh OK, your budget is certainly flexible, although you seem to be going for a bigger more powerful light than I expected. I'd warn you be very careful with manufacturer specs, I collect AA lights (sub-lumen), test my lights with both a light meter and stopwatch, and find the most efficient lights to be in the 150-200 lumen-hr ranged per AA cell (ie, 150 lms for 1h and 3 lms for 50 hrs), if you see much more than 200 lumen-hr per AA, then the manufacture is playing games with the ANSI specs, or has poor regulation. For example, that S35 seems to spec 20 lumens for 240 hrs which is 1600 lm-hrs per AA [(20x240)/3]!! I'll bet it's a typo and should either read 24hr or 2 lms - the rest of the modes seem fine though.

For that sized light, I would take a look at a SWM D40, a 4xAA, which is much brighter than the S35, but more importantly to me, has dimmer options (15 lms/60 hrs and 1 lm/500 hrs on my sample, tested) which preserve night vision and extend your emergency runtimes - with snow on the ground, I could happily just use the 1 lm mode to walk my dog. Only downside is that the buttons are a bit small for gloves, and are lightly sprung meaning it should be locked out.

14. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

You have countless options really. I'd pick a respected brand and go with the one that you like the looks and options of the best.

15. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

I previously used a SC50w+ I liked it, but it was a little to big to EDC. Based on recommendation around here I recently picked up a i3S...

I love it! No nonsense light. Turns on in medium, then high, then moon light. The mode arrangement is weird, but very useful.

IMO I dread using the Zebra Light now, way to many modes. and hard to navigate. It has been rolled to nightstand duty.

My only complaint about the OLight is the temperature... I wish it was more neutral. I suppose the SC50w+ spoiled me in that respect.

16. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

E11 from Fenix

17. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

1+ for the i3s, best edc light in the world :D!

18. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

If you want inexpensive, versatile, a focusable beam and bright. I recommend this:
    Romisen RC-C8. It's $16.40 US shipped it accepts 3 different battery types (CR123a, 18650 and AAA) and has held up for me for years. It is actually my fav outdoor light and a have a few ranging from cheap to a little pricy.

Here are a few beam shots (the tree is a little over 100 feet away)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I highly reconnect this "cheapie" have taken it camping with me for years and had held up.

Hope you like it ;)

Be well

19. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

So... I have ordered a E35 and hope it fit´s my needs:)

20. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

If you already have an E01 why not check out Fenix's E11? I bought a Klarus XT1A a few months back which is very similar to an E11 except the high is slightly brighter and their is a second button on the back to cycle modes rather than twisting the head. Not really sure of your needs/preferences but it's worth checking out.

Goose