1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need sharpening system advice please

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by jabe1, Nov 29, 2015.

1. rockerZz

rockerZz Loaded Pockets

I've been using Arkansas stones, myself. Going from diamond "stones" to get rid of any dings or flaws in the edge, then working to the stones. I can get stuff shaving sharp quite easily. A surgical black Arkansas stone is really great for a nice edge, but I like to finish up with a 2 stage strop I made with an old belt and a piece of 1x2. I epoxied the belt material to either side, and I treated one side with some 6000-8000 gray buffing compound, and the other with the 10,000 grit green rouge.

This is what I did to a cheap Kershaw just for practice:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by rockerZz, Feb 13, 2016
    kkay, Buckeye Jake and NelsonIII like this.
  2. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

For me the volume was ok, maybe you check if you turned down the volume in the youtube window instead of your master volume.
    He used diamond hones but also selfmade wood sticks with glued-on sandpaper stripes.
    I actually made such a sandpaper file for sharpening scissors but I never had the idea from the video.

[​IMG]

edjo69, kkay, JPHing and 1 other person like this.
  3. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

What an awesome informative video.

NelsonIII likes this.
  4. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the "regular" WorkSharp setup. The Ken Onion set is much more expensive and also IMO has too much flexibility in the guides. The slots in the other version are fixed. Comes with a kitchen knives attachment and another one for other knives and tools. If you want a different bevel the other guide is available for about $8 US.

It will do scissors (except those used in hair salons).

It will let you use the belts without a guide if you prefer or you want to sharpen big knives or garden tools (including big garden tools).

Takes a short while to learn but there are lots of good YT videos. Watch those before you buy one, but you will buy one if you watch them. I got one for not a whole lot more than a Sharpmaker would cost and it is not only fast, it gives knives a concave bevel - sharp (!!!) and stays sharp.

Initial sharpening resets the bevel to concave and does take a bit longer but I set it up, learned the system, did all the kitchen knives, and quite a few daily use knives in under an hour the very first time. Touch ups if needed take maybe a minute or two. The knives came out just as sharp as the ones in the YT videos. You will need to pay attention to how to sharpen Wharncliff blades and others like that but they tell you what to do in the instructions and videos. Practicing on a beater knife is a good idea. It's a good idea to pay attention to where thumb studs are as well. Other than that if you read the directions you should be good to go and as I said before there are videos for just about any type of edge or situation. It takes just a bit of practice but by the second or third time using it you should be good to go.

Let's put it this way, custom makers, factories, and a lot of professional sharpeners use belts.

I've been sharpening for decades and I'll never go back to stones or any sort of system.

Sent by throwing some gizmo as hard as I can.

kkay likes this.
  5. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

chmsam It will do scissors (except those used in hair salons).
    Why this exception?

6. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Just learn to use stones.

Jake

7. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

I got the Ken Onion version of the WorkSharp after trying both versions before buying. The bells and whistles of the Ken Onion model, make everything easier. I will tell you that I find this system to go through a LOT of belts. So when you find the belts you use most, buy in bulk. I also use the Spyderco Sharpmaker system for ultra quick touch ups. I tend to use the WorkSharp on really dull or first edge on things like, axes, hatchets and machetes. I hope you will find this post informative.
    P. S. I am currently saving for a Wicked Edge System......The Holy Grail of Knife Sharpening.

8. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I myself love the Sharpmaker and ill go out of my way to tell everyone how awesome it is! That system is just such a great combination of ease-of-use, good results, compact package and price. Heck, if you only use the edges of the sticks it'll even do recurves (and you could even try the flat sides too if the recurve isn't too pronounced). I have stones, i have aided systems, i have sanding belts, heck ill use the bottom of a mug if there's nothing better around but if you ask me what one system everyone should have then its a no-brainer.

9. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

They don't say specifically but since those scissors can cost a few hundred dollars each it's probably best left to a pro anyway. Those scissors can be razor sharp too - way sharper than you'd need or even want for home use (very unforgiving).

Sent from shouting real loud over the Interwebz.

Adahn likes this.
  10. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

The problem is to find a pro. Once on job we got our shears sharpened, one edge had teeth to grab leather which of course this "pro" ground away. The boss said sharpening costs nearly same much as a new shear so no more sharpening (I didn't know how to do it back then).

My babrer told me the same about her experiences with sharpeners before she gave me one of her "ruined" scissors. It was sharp but the little screw with the stopper was gone so i just replaced the screw and use it at home. It's around $60-100 online so I'm quite happy with it :p

By the way, the term Scherenschleifer for scissor grinder has a bad connotation and was used like botcher or bungler for a long time when there were knife and scssor sharpeners on the road. The people only realised the bad work when the guy was long gone...

NelsonIII likes this.
  11. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Especially in a throw away society.

Adahn likes this.
  12. flatmosquito

flatmosquito Loaded Pockets

I used a Sharpmaker for about 5 years, but recently switched to the Ken Onion edition Work Sharp with Blade Grinder Attachment (BGA). It makes quick work for sharpening any large blades, and puts a good mirror polished convex edge on them in 10 minutes or so. Yes, it's more expensive, but I got tired of reserving sharpening time for myself to go through all of my knives and now it's very fast and very reliable. That said, I didn't think much of the pull-through cassette on the Work Sharp and doubt I'll use it again - I found the BGA worked just fine without the alignment guard. The guard on the pull-through cassette easily collects grit that will leave scratches in the sides of a blade. Yes, you can put painters tape on your blade, but why bother when you can just freehand with the BGA and get basically perfect results.

13. bltkmt
    • +4 Supporter

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Does he have them mounted on something thicker because the yellow one does not look like a D2k hone?

14. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

I've got :
    Worksharp (not the Ken Onion one) - does a job but it's unforgiving
    Lansky Sharpening system (the clamp/guided rod thing) - effective but a bit flddly; if the blade isn't clamped well and shifts your angle has gone.
    Lansky turn box - similar to the Sharpmaker it gives good results but it limited to two angles and needs a steady hand/eye
    Belt/rotary grinders - good for removing a lot of steel, not for sharpening.
    Stones - 300/800/1000/6000/12000, take practice but once you get a feel for it, the results are better and more precise that the other methods (IMHO of course).
    A tip I was given and which works well is to apply a marker pen down the length of the edge grind, you can then see what you are removing and how effective your technique is (it WILL improve over time - practice on cheap blades to build your skills).

Once the edge is there I strop using blue polishing compound (starkie blue), then on nude leather, firstly the rough side then the smooth.

I also hone my own razor and shave with it.

15. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

You can sharpen a recurve on a normal stone by using the edges of the stone. Not the sides, face, or ends, but the edges.

Wisdom means having the ability to admit what you don't know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk