1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need sharpening system advice please

Discussion in 'Sharpening Stuff -- Stones, Strops, and Systems' started by jabe1, Nov 29, 2015.

1. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

I sharpen everything free hand. My wife's kitchen knives with whet stones and the outdoor knives with a diamond stone. For on the go I can suggest DMT diafold or the rods or EZE LAP rods. For recurve use the rods obviously...

2. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

You can sharpen shears and scissors with a fine diamond file or sandpaper (P600-800) applied to a small strop.
    Best way is to take the scissors appart, lay down the blade or clamp it and file/sand towards the cutting edge.
    Always keep the given angle and try to go in a smooth way from one end to the other.
    When you get a burr (on both blades if it's a not a version with fine serrations on one blade, leave them untouched) reassemble your scissors in its closed position. Now open the scissors (better if the pivot screw is tightened a bit more than usual) to turn over the burr.
    Now I usually pull the blade over a piece of wood to remove the burr.
    If you pull the blade over your fingernail you should feel that it bites but not that it jumps from a burr.

This sharpening method is good for home use and if you want to cut paper, thin leather, rope.
    For haircutting I'd prefer a finer polish.

Of course you can bring it to a sharpener but a sharpening wheel it's easy to remove too much material so you can get a sharpened tool like 3-4 times, with the sanding method I guess it's 10x of that.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  3. Tonedeaf101

Tonedeaf101 Loaded Pockets

Another Spyderco Sharpmaker vote here.
    Little bit pricey but very easy to use and gives greats results.

I have tried whetstones in the past and I can't just get the consistency of the angle personally.
    So the SM seemed the best way forward.

4. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

I used the scissor feature of my Sharpmaker a few weeks ago mainly out of curiosity and it worked awesome, I was impressed!

5. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Adahn, edjo69,

Thanks. I "know" how, I just had no idea what you were supposed to do with the burr.

6. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

You could run/drag the edge over a hard piece of wood that should remove the burr, you could also knock it off with one of the triangle rods by LIGHTLY running it across the flat side, I didn't have much of a burr when I did mine, I will try it again when I get home from work and report back.

7. dms

dms Loaded Pockets

Considering the Sharpmaker as well. How does it do on serrated blades, I have a Spydeco Delica (partial serrated)? I also have a ZT0562CF I cut some card board with and now needs touched up. Am I good to go with the Sharpmaker? Don't want to ruin the best knife I own. I understand to get the Ultra Fine (UF) rods is a good thing.

Thanks in advance. I am a rookie at this sharpening thing, but once I get he hang of it I will be all over it.

8. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

The Sharpmaker won't ruin anything. Worst case you could take it to a "pro" I am sure they would be able to repair the edge.

I think you can DIY though. It prob all depends on the serration profile and how well the corner of the stone fits.

9. TFin04

TFin04 Loaded Pockets

Big fan of the Sharpmaker. Have had one for years and really like it.

I'd practice on a cheap kitchen knife or similar first to get the hang of it. Important part is not to let the tip run off the edge of the stone, it will round it over a bit. It won't make it "dull," just not as pointy as it could be.

10. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

You can get a nice tapered (conical) Smiths diamond hone for serrations, it will work very ell and they are cheap ~ $8 Plus the half flat side is great for sharpening hatchets. Its called Smiths DRET

11. jabe1

jabe1 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all of the great responses.

Looks like the Sharpmaker is the preferred. I'm actually surprised. I would have thought maybe Lansky or traditional bench stones.

I'll have to try the Sharpmaker.

arnisb likes this.
  12. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

I have a Gatco edgemate and IMO it sucks. Might be good for mower blades?

The Sharpmaker is so much more simple...

13. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

This thread is a little older but after seeing this DIY way of a "guided" sharpener I just had to share it.
    It's so super simple that I think I'll try it with my next knife (even though I usually freehand sharpen my knives on diamond stones).

kpstumpf and NelsonIII like this.
  14. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Another satisfied Sharpmaker owner here. I think the SM is preferred because it's hard to find a better balance of performance, price, and flexibility in a sharpening system. You get the basic stones you need but you can get more, it's not that much money, it does a very good job for what it is, and you can sharpen just about anything on it. There's a reason why Chris Reeve recommends another knife company's product for his own knives.

NelsonIII likes this.
  15. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Tried a few systems. Been using a spyderco sharpmaker for 15 years now? Still the old style one. Works awesome.

16. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Freehand on diamond stones for me. I'm no expert but I can put a good edge on my blades now. It took a lot of practice over the years but it is worth it to learn to do it freehand. I will admit I don't own any recurve blades thou.

Why stones? I view it as a "lost art" in a way. It's a manly man thing to do. I like a challenge and getting my hands dirty so to speak.

Last edited by gazz98, Feb 12, 2016
    Adahn and Buckeye Jake like this.
  17. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

If you use diamond stones then you can sharpen recurves on it, too, just use the sides of the stone.
    I wouldn't do this on a "real" stone as it eats away the sides but with diamond that's no problem.
    The only thing I must always remember is to sharpen while standing instead of sitting, that way I get better angles, don't know why though...

18. EvilMaster

EvilMaster Empty Pockets

I've tried them all. Own an Apex Edge Pro with all the extra stones, got a few grand tied up in that. I also have a sharpmaker with the ultra fines, I still use that for light touch ups. Also had a wicked edge system for awhile, liked that one but it wasn't really for me. Traded that one for a nice little custom sebenza 21, which I sold and ended up making a profit.

Currently, I use a KME Precision sharpener. I've got the whole set of gold series diamond stones, all the Arkansas stones, all the chosera stones, all the DMT diamond stones, a set of kangaroo stropes with CBN emulsion down to .5 micron. And a bunch of other stuff.

For putting a crazy sharp mirror polished edge on a folder, the KME is the quickest, easiest and most fun to use imo. For larger kitchen knives and hunting knives 12" and up, I pull out the Apex edge pro or I just use bench stones. But the KME is my go to system when I want precision. Perfectly symmetrical bevels with a perfectly even polish from choil to tip. Once you lock the KME in to a specific degree, that's it, nothing moves, no play in the system at all. Human error is minimized dramatically with the KME. With a little practice, you will be getting very professional results. And as long as you record your settings, completely repeatable results.

The KME Precision sharpening system is worth every penny.

kkay and NelsonIII like this.
  19. NelsonIII
    • +1 Supporter

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

I use a Sharpmaker. It would work VERY well on a recurve. However, its NOT for fixing blades, or resetting the bevel. I plan on purchasing the Edge Pro Apex for a quality all-in-one system.

kkay likes this.
  20. NelsonIII
    • +1 Supporter

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Thanks for posting this! :like:

I couldnt really hear much because of the volume of the video, but it looks like he was using DMT D2K 2.5-inch Dia-Sharp Diamond Mini-Hones.

I just used this method on one of my kitchen knives. Hair popping. Thanks again for posting that, very cool.

Last edited by NelsonIII, Feb 13, 2016
    arnisb and Adahn like this.