1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need priorities - Teenager on a budget.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Pheonix886, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Phade

Phade Loaded Pockets

Where the heck are you getting paracord at $4 per 100' :shocked: Cheapest I've found is $7.

2. Drauka

Drauka Loaded Pockets

Alot of what you need is probably specific to your environment, daily routine, job, and other considerations. If you live in the country, you'd need one type of carry...the city another. If you work in fast food you'd need different stuff than if you work in an office/retail etc.

For example, I live in a rural area and work in a prison. I have two different sets of EDC, because my workplace severely restricts what I can carry. Off duty, I carry a simple pocket knife (oldtimer 340T or 1060T), my keyring (with a prytool on it), a small pistol (Taurus PT-111) and my wallet. I almost never need anything more than that, but I always have my truck nearby which has tons of other stuff in it. In the city you'll likely rely more heavily on public transit or be farther away from your vehicle much more often than you would be in the country (exception being if you hunt)....so you might want to consider a light bag/backpack of some sort if you bag-lunch it daily.

If you get a bag I'd recommend you add a boo-boo kit to it (band-aids, bacitracin, misc pills, tape, 4x4 gauze), some extra paracord (maybe 20 feet), a fixed blade knife (3inch blade max, if you aren't Rambo), some sort of emergency food that wont go bad for a long while (granola bars etc), and office crap (pens, paper, hand held game for meetings), and a disposable lighter. If you work in an office setting, you can usually just carry an insulated cooler bag and not be as conspicuous as if you had an uber-cool tactical MOLLE covered bag, but YMMV on that. It's amazing how much crap you can fit in a lunch bag!

The biggest thing is to go for function over the 'wow' factor, or something that looks cool so you get to show it off. A $5 prytool is just as good as a $50 one in most cases...a $10 knife will cut a plastic store package or rope just as well as a $100 knife will...if you also spend a few bucks on a sharpening stone, and use it. A used Altoid tin or pill bottle makes just as good a container in most cases as a bought container does...for pennies. You might not be as tacticool, but you'll be just as useful.

That being said, I still cant help wasting money on expensive, cool looking bags....1000 denier cordura is my kryptonite! :broke:

3. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

get yourself a victorinox Cadet, its very light, thin, and has very usefull tools. a alox soldier is an alernative.
    get yourself a fenix E01, very basic, but sturdy LED.

4. Pyromaniac96

Pyromaniac96 Empty Pockets

I first read that as "My 3 year old is dying." I should stop staying up till three in the morning :knuppel2:

Anyway, I would go ahead and get a phone, which as stated by others will serve as a temporary camera/video recorder given that you buy one with such capabilities. I would buy a knife after that, something like a SAK or a Spyderco Tenacious, just because I use a knife alot. However, you might be better off getting a multitool (I recommend the Victorinox SwissTool series if finances permit) depending on your needs. If you don't have a light, consider a Fenix light, or maybe even a DealExtreme light. As long as you have something.

5. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Nothing beats the utility of a phone, so phone first, even if it is the most expensive. A smartphone should be your goal if you live in an urban area and use email/texting. After that you can get a pretty good EDC set up for under $50. How about this: Victorinox SAK with a 4sevens CR123 Mini. That will cover a lot of bases for around $50. If you don't need scissors, I really like my Preon 1xAAA with a FRN PE Dragonfly, as a cheap, high performance, light, EDC. Plus the whole set up fits in the coin pocket of your jeans.

Only after you have the stuff you will use EVERYDAY should you worry about/work on stuff like paracord, which is nice, but can't be used to call a cab. I always think of that mnemonic my grandpa told me: spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch. You should focus on the things you need every day: a phone, a watch, a wallet, a light, and a tool (knife or multitool). Work out from there.

6. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

Get a pay as you go phone. I have used one for years without issue. Tracfone starts at $10 for a decent but not elaborate model that gets a signal everywhere a $200 phone will. Try Safelink.com, you may qualify for a free phone with free monthly minutes. They are available in many states, but not all. NY and MA are two. VT is not. I believe they are now essential EDC for many reasons, not the least, vehicle break down and the odd medical emergency.

Get a Gerber multi-tool. They are as good as Leatherman at a fraction of the price. The Coleman Multi-tool is decent and even cheaper, less than $30. Try Walmart or similar for Coleman.
    ParaCord: anywhere, it is cheap and decent. Walmart sells it.
    Knife: A $7 Smith and Wesson from your local farm and tractor store, about 80% as good as a $100 Spyderco and disposable in case of loss or other need to dispose.
    Light: The local Aubuchan hardware had a sale on multi LED lights that take three AAA batteries. A great small light that so far has proven reliable and for around $5. I gave away piles of them.
    In addition, any camera you like and can afford (look for a refurbish through eBay) and a good but cheap cane with crook handle. Try Enesco for the $12 cane I like.
    Grand totals: phone $10, cord $5, knife $7, light $5, cane $12= $37. Add minutes for the phone for another $20, a phone upgrade for another $20 (that triples the minutes you buy), batteries for another $4 and you are now at $81...I forgot the multi tool for a total of $111. You now have everything for half what you were planning to spend on the phone.

7. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Wow.

I would say don't believe the hype. If your ultimate priority is preparedness, you can supply yourself on the cheap, esp. with resources like CountyComm, Deal Extreme, Walmart, etc...for that matter, pennies on the dollar.

Use the less than zero principle. Prepare yourself mentally and physically to handle any situation with next to nothing-from that point, anything you carry is just money in the bank.

I also agree with an earlier post-your priorities now should be girls, working out, grades, and alcohol. (Not necessarily in that order) ;D

Good luck.

8. papacrapas87

papacrapas87 Loaded Pockets

What do you mean by teenager? That's anywhere from HS to college age...
    Depending on that, what you'll be able to carry would be different (like MT or knife).
    I'm sure others may disagree, but I don't find it really worth it to spend alot of money on a phone.
    I can usually get a nice, expensive phone for free or cheap every two years. Also, phones get outdated quickly.
    I'd personally rather get a nice knife or MT rather than a phone.

There are many great products out there that you can get for a good price.
    Good luck anyways.

9. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

The suggestion of a Quark Mini and a SAK is a wise choice. Personally id suggest the AA over the CR123 due to cheapness of batteries (id invest in a good couple of NiMh batteries and a charger), the output is more than enough for 99% of tasks. Paired with that you cant go wrong with the Wenger Standard Issue or the old Alox Victorinox Soldier (or any alox SAK for that matter). Super solid, great value for money and for most tasks a solid slipjoint is fine, just use your head and dont do stupid stuff when using it.

10. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I'm kinda wondering about the age thing too.

11. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

I agree.

Girls! Girls! Girls!

As for booze, unfortunately, nowadays, I can't encourage underage drinking. But, in my time, it wasn't as big a deal as it is now. So, on that one, you take your chances (as that's always been the case).

If girls & booze don't do it for you, get the phone. If girls (& booze) do matter, still get the phone.

Did I mention girls?

[Btw, not knowing your preference (you might prefer boys), whatever dating style that works for you is cool. I don't judge. Love is Love. Peace!]

12. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Until we know for certain his age let's stick with his list, and leave the booze for another thread ok :evil:.

You might try craigslist (don't know if anyone else said this) since depending on your carrier you could just get a smart phone for about $100-$150ish

13. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

No one has actually recommended underage drinking here, in my opinion. And, since we don't have all the facts, I think it's pretty reckless to assume/imply it.

As it is, I believe any mention of alcohol here was in the spirit of levity, which even you, Boy SureFire, also took part in, ("... Alcohol is expensive ($4-10 for one drink at a bar), and it tastes like :rant: water.") So, I think it's a little hypocritical for you to be playing cop, now. Actually, it would be unfortunate if you didn't have access to finer spirits.

Truth be told, we don't even know his location. For all we know, he's in another country where his teen age is legal for drinking. Or, maybe he might want to add booze to his priority list when he's in TJ, which would make it perfectly legal if he's eighteen or older.

No offense, Boy SureFire, but I think I'll wait for a qualified Moderator to chime in if/when something inappropriate pops up.

:cool:

14. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

I agree-Lighten up, McFly. ;)

I drank like a fish in college-and I can assure you, I'm no worse for the wear.

that being said-don't be an idiot and get behind the wheel in that state- :thumbsdown:

Otherwise, caveat emptor!!

15. Pheonix886

Pheonix886 Loaded Pockets

Due to my age and location, I cannot drink haha :shrug:
    Even if I could, booze wouldn't be very far up on my list of stuff to buy. :p

I grabbed a Leatherman wave that I could get pretty cheap, so I don't need a multitool. It has two nice knives, nothing to survive the Apocalypse (just stainless steel), but I don't use knives too heavily.

I will stretch out my cell phone's lifespan til the online seller I'm looking at gets the new phone back in stock.

I think I'll buy paracord next, and look out for a sale on vic classics (for the places that aren't 3 inch blade friendly)

16. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the clarification, Pheonix.

In that case, just for the record, stay away from booze till your legal. ;)

Glad you figured out your priority list. I'm sure as you grow, you'll be adjusting that list to meet your needs or whatever's important to you at that time.

:luck:

17. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Fwiw i got a Spyderco Honeybee on Saturday and its great. The Bug is pretty good, but a bit small imo, but the Honeybee is pretty close to the perfect keychain knife

Not sure what your EDC needs are, but i recommend one of those and the new Gerber Shard over a Classic for a lot of people as it will give you a lot of quality tool for not much money at all, and this is from a fan of the mini SAKs.

18. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

The two best places I've found to get 550 cord/paracord...

GoingGear.com

SupplyCaptain.com

They both sell the high quality, "authentic" stuff...not the cheap, imitation stuff.

19. eldahjack

eldahjack Empty Pockets

I'm in college now, and I'd say the phone is pretty important. But I too would be in a bad place if I didn't have a knife on me. I use it nearly every day. Same with the multi-tool. And my torch. The phone, to me, is expendable. I wouldn't be happy if I no longer had it, but it's non-essential.