1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need help with a small AAA flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by thol, Sep 28, 2021.

1. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

My Fenix E01 V1 is dead and I need help with a replacement.

I want one that rund of AAA batteries because the batteries are small, cheap and easy to get hold of.
    A smal size.

I liked turn to start on my old E01 and one low mod.

Should I look for a new one of the same model as the old one or do you have any suggestions for another model?

Edit.
    I forgot that it will live in a pocket messenger at work and in everyday life and be exposed to both metal dust, sweat and blows.

#1 thol, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

LuminTop EDC01 dangling with my keys and I'm happy with it, seems to meet your needs.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  3. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

An interesting alternative, it's just that I can not find a dealer in the country I live in.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sounds like it makes no sense to fix what is not broken to me?
    If you can find the light you already know and love why would you change that now?

There are few lights that like yours have such a loyal following really.

Maybe a Streamlight Micro as the beam is a lot better and there is a nice button switch too but whether you want a change is entirely up to you.

5. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

I see a couple of listings on ebay.de shipping internationally, if that's any help. That said, I'd think finding a decent AAA torch shouldn't be that much of a challenge, so if not LuminTop, you'll probably have quite a few other brands and models to choose from. Good luck!

6. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

the old E01 with a position for brightness is an expired model so it can be interesting to see if something new has come out that covers the need. My kurent .

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well the Microstream is a one speed light too and just as nice if not more than the E01 to me.

8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

AAA is my favorite EDC size.
    I don’t have any experience with Fenix though.
    My favorites are Prometheus / Four sevens (darksucks.com) and ReyLight, but all of those need to be imported.

I see that slims.se is a domestic Fenix dealer in Sweden. Not the biggest selection, but the owner is a super nice dude. Could be worth while to shoot him an email.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  9. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

The Sofirn C01 was designed specifically to fill the same niche as the E01 but using a newer hi-cri emitter.

It has potted electronics to make it as bullet proof as possible and the tint is much prettier than the old E01 angry blue.

It's an awesome little light.

Last edited by BigGreenTick, Sep 29, 2021
    #9 BigGreenTick, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    twin63 likes this.
  10. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

The Fenix E01 v2. looks like a nice light, $15

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

twin63 likes this.
  11. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

There are plenty of choices available.

I carry a ThruNite Ti3 (with Eneloop Pro AAA NiMH battery) since years; especially the firefly low mode is very helpful for those "stealthy" night tasks as well as the ~120 lumen on high for about 30 minutes.

Had it temporarily replaced with a Lumintop Worm 4.0 - but the mode spacing and Medium-Low-High wasn't my favorite. Lumintop Tool AAA is another one and Maratac and Fenix and ... you get the point.

Are you into a small/keychain light or does it need to be an AAA flashlight? I'm asking because RovyVon and others brought plenty of "finger style lights" to the market - rechargeable via Micro USB or USB C, amazing output levels (also for only a few minutes) and very practical with their extras like side lights or red / blue / yellow flashes, etc.

I almost replaced my Ti3 with an AstroLux K2 - but the fact that I can't just pop in a new battery and keep on going and the lack of a clip to make an interim headlamp by clipping it on the brim of my cap held me back.

12. BigGreenTick

Staying as close to the listed wants...aaa, twisty, small, single mode (or as close as possible).

From L to R
    Maglite Solitaire Spectrum Series Warm White
    Sofirn C01S
    Sofirn C01S BLF Edition
    Skilhunt E3A
    Olight i3E x2 (Red & Silver)
    Fenix E01v2
    Fenix E01v1 x2 (Blue & Purple)
    Sofirn C01

[​IMG]

Ok as you know the original E01 had a 5mm LED and was twist on/off with a single mode & 8-10 lumens output.

As I mentioned in the first post the Sofirn C01 was designed to exactly replicate the simplicity & ruggedness).

The Sofirn C01S is the same body/host but with a more modern emitter & circuitry. It is a two level light with outputs of 3 & 100 lumens, starting in low.

The new E01v2 has 3 levels of 5/25/100 lumens & starts in low.

The Olight i3E has been on the market for a number of years, it is a single mode light with 90 lumen output (the silver versions had a slightly higher 120 lumens but are no longer available).

The Skilhunt E3A is very similar to the Olight but only became available more recently. It is also has a single output of 100 lumens. It can be purchased in 3 different temperature/tints./ 6500k (Cool White), 5000k (Neutral White) & 4000k (Warm White & Hi-CRI).

Finally the Mag Solitaire Spectrum is single mode with 32 lumens & a warm white tint.

Water-Rat, rodia77 and Nick4305 like this.
  13. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Look no further.

The Ti3 is a fantastic little AAA light and can be purchased for around 12-15 USD. Less if you catch a sale. I've had mine for years and it's never failed. I've given one to almost everyone I know. FIrefly, medium, high and a hidden strobe.

Nick4305 likes this.
  14. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The lower price i'm able to catch on www is over 20 USD, plus variable shipping's costs.
    Where did you find Ti3 at 12-15 USD ? TIA

15. BigGreenTick

It's currently $15.99 at the Thrunite store & Amazon.

Wishoot likes this.
  16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

But the OP says he wants a single level simple light?
    Not as easy to find as they used to be but if thats what he likes.

BigGreenTick likes this.
  17. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Amazon and Thrunite direct.

xevious and Nick4305 like this.
  18. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Wow, that’s nice to know.
    The i3E was the light that accidentally got me into carrying dedicated lights, and pretty much my gateway into EDC as a whole. The size is just brilliant.

I’ve since compromised somewhat on size to have some features that really is worth a small sacrifice in weight and bulk, however I’ve found my old i3E to be the perfect protective container for a spare AAA cell. It’s barely any bigger or heavier than the AAA cell alone, and you get a backup light to boot.
    To have a similar sized package with warm white/high CRI sounds pretty appealing.

BigGreenTick likes this.
  19. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

..none of both is under 15.95 shipping's costs excluded, btw.
    Thanks and cheers

20. thol

thol Loaded Pockets

I like the small size because they are so easy to carry in your pocket and replaceable batteries because it is easier to keep alive. Just to change and continue.

FiaOlleDog and BigGreenTick like this.