1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need help finding the knife for me!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by DrewMC36, Aug 17, 2011.

1. DrewMC36

DrewMC36 Empty Pockets

I want an EDC knife that is "gentleman" style (not tacticool and not intimidating) that has a blade around 3", deploys quickly, locks firmly with no wiggle, and can stand up to abuse that costs around $80-100.

Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you!

Drew

So far I have the Case Russlock as my #1 choice but I don't like the "weird" and slow 1 handed opening system and gimped tang that can get caught on stuff in the pocket. 2 more options are the Al Mar Osprey with stag handles, and the Lone Wolf Paul Executive. Both seem fairly good but the blade steel is a turn off because of the higher prices.

2. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

the buck squire is a great edc. and its a traditional lockback tyoe style knife.

3. DrewMC36

DrewMC36 Empty Pockets

Will have a look, thanks! More suggestions people!!! Haha

4. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

if your looking for traditional lockbacks with a blade about 3"
    case mini copperlock
    buck 55 or ranger

look at companies like great eastern cutlery, case, buck, and queen knives. and any lockbacks from them are very high quality.

and i dont have one, but the falkniven U2 is supposed to be a great lockback, and VERY sharp!

5. jugoretz

jugoretz Loaded Pockets

I have the Al Mar Osprey and I completely love it (I have the black Micarta handle, not the stag. The stag looks beautiful though, and I was considering that). The quality is very impressive--locks completely solid, no wiggle or play, and deploys very quickly and easily (not one-handed, though). It arrived out of the box sharper than just about any knife I've ever bought. Really an excellent product.

BUT. If you are looking for a 3" blade, the Osprey is the wrong knife. You might want the Hawk. The Osprey blade is 1.65". The whole knife is just 2.3" closed. It's a VERY small knife. If you're not expecting that, you might be a bit disappointed. In my case, it was exactly what I was looking for. But it's really something like a "keychain" knife.

The Hawk with stag handles looks like a very nice choice--I've been tempted to try one--but it is outside your price range by a good bit.

6. Dozer

Dozer Loaded Pockets

Check out a Spyderco Stretch. Available in FRN or Carbon Fiber handle. Its a great EDC knife.

7. dbert

dbert Loaded Pockets

I carry a Spyderco Dragonfly G-10, a blade that matches all of your criteria. The MSRP is $130, but you can find it on amazon for around $70.

8. DrewMC36

DrewMC36 Empty Pockets

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention, I absolutely DESPISE those fingernail opening slots on most Victorinox multitools and Case folders. I find them uncomfortable hard to use. A knife without those would be much more enjoyed.

9. DrewMC36

DrewMC36 Empty Pockets

After flipping throuh my spyderco catalog I noticed the Centofante 3 which seems to meet all my specifications, except price, which is good! At that price I could get a smaller Case to supplement the Centofante and carry when the bigger knife is too large. Looks good but suggestions are still welcome!

10. theDeathstalker

theDeathstalker Empty Pockets

My benchmade 530 Pardue is exactly what you described. Easy one handed opening, price, great steel, great company. I'm a kershaw convert.

11. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN Loaded Pockets

Drew,
    This is by far the best choice based on your criteria. I carry mine daily with suit pants. The flipper is buttery smooth, the frame lock is unusually vault like for a smaller knife. The cut outs in the TI frame are amazing. In fact it's referred to as the "gentlemens" pocket knide. This is the sharpest folder I own.
    [​IMG]

12. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

I have the Centofante, it is a great little knife!

13. DrewMC36

DrewMC36 Empty Pockets

I love the styling on the handle and clip, and although it looks a bit tacticool, it does so with class haha. I'm not sure what the model is though, looks a bit like a ripple. lol I am not experienced with many knife models.

*Never mind, I found it! Those things are beautiful and nice blade, but you certainly pay for it! The knife is quite nice by reminds me of the ripple, which is cheaper with the same blade steel but a non-titanium handle. Depending on how good I feel about my financial status I may go to either one.

14. nicknack171

nicknack171 Loaded Pockets

The benchmade nagara seems like it might do the job

15. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN Loaded Pockets

The Eros was import knife of the year 2010 BLADE SHOW. As for price, if you EDC, non issue. They rarely if ever pop up used on various forums so you could easily unload it if you so choose.

16. midnightreport

midnightreport Loaded Pockets

After reading the original post, my first thought was a Spyderco Centofante3 would be PERFECT for your uses. Fits all your criteria, and you can get it for less than $50.

17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Benchmade 235 Axial. If they ever come out.