1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I Need Another Flashlight (Checklist Inside)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Simsmac0o, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I've realized that I'm in need of a brighter, more versatile light to complement the Maratac AA that I EDC, but I need some help. There are just too many lights to choose from...

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

This flashlight will be used for nighttime walks and hikes, camping, nighttime wildlife spotting, as a candle when the power goes out, and whenever my Maratac AA (85 lm. max) isn't bright enough. It will usually be stored in a backpack, but if I'm hiking or camping, I'd prefer to have it in my pocket or in my hand attached to my wrist via a lanyard.

3) Price Range:
    [x] $40-60 [I'm willing to stretch this price range if need be]

4) Format:
    PART A
    [x] I want a flashlight.

PART B
    Length:
    [x] 4-9 inches. (Holster carry) [or slightly longer pocket carry, i.e. 5"]

PART C
    Width:
    [x] I prefer a long narrow light.

PART D
    Weight:
    [x] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag
    [x] Heavy Medium, can of Coke
    [x] Heavy, PDA or small digital camera

5) What kind of "bulb"?
    [x] LED

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    [x] 2x AA Alkaline

7) How much light do you want?
    I want a flashlight with several (4-7) non-strobe/SOS modes, with a low mode of at least ≤5 lumens (a moonlight mode would be ideal), and a max brightness of ~140-200 lumens, the brighter the better.

8) Throw vs Flood:
    Throw (distance)------------------X----|----------------------Flood/close-up
    [I'm not entirely sure of what I want (or need) in terms of this aspect of the light, so the above diagram isn't a firm decision. I'd like the beam to be able to illuminate a large area in the distance, so I can identify objects in the distance.]

9) Runtime:
    [x] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours) [for the brightest mode]

10) Durability:
    [x] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

11) Switch Type:
    [x] Clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

12) Switch Location:
    [x] I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

13) Operational Modes:
    [x] I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
    [I don't want any fancy strobe or SOS modes, but if they are "hidden" in the UI I'll be able to tolerate their presence. I would also consider a flashlight with a ramping UI, as long as it either ramps the brightness slowly (so I can select my desired brightness precisely), or has customizable modes.]

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
    [x] I want a metal-bodied light.

15) Special Needs:
    [x] Waterproof: IPX-8 rating highly preferred; IPX-7 at the least.
    [x] Black/dark finish
    [The attributes below are not necessary, but I would prefer a flashlight that has them]
    [x] Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
    [x] Pocket clip

---------------------

I'm not much of a flashlight buff (but I definitely can appreciate a bright light), so don't go too crazy with the cryptic flashlight terminology. :) I eagerly await your responses.

Simsmac

2. jackthedog

jackthedog Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a 4Sevens Quark AA^2 would fit your description, either the Tactical or Regular. The moonlight mode of the Quark is one of its best features in my opinion.

3. MedXLT

MedXLT Empty Pockets

4. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies. I did some more research and some lurking at CPF, and decided that the Quark AA² is closest to what I'm looking for. I'm still open to suggestions though.

Also, while looking about the Quark AA², I noticed that it comes in a "Turbo" model, that promises more throw, and I was wondering if it was worth the extra $15. Does it have considerably more throw than the normal model?

5. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

6. jackthedog

I don't know if the Turbo is worth it. I just sold mine off as I prefer the regular or tactical beam profile more.

7. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

What did you dislike about it? Did it seem to have more throw?

8. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

The turbo has more throw to it but the beam seems slightly more narrow (more throw, less side spill) The regular models seem to have a mix of flood and throw (but I would put the beam more on the floody side)

9. jackthedog

jp2515 pretty much nailed it for me. There was more throw but it was a very narrow hot spot. For me at least, I like the floodier beam for up close. Also, the larger head made it more difficult to carry.

Don't get me wrong though, it was a great LED and I think you'd be happy if you got it.

10. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

I also vote the Quark AA^2.....but specifically the Tactical Neutral White XP-G version.

11. jackthedog

I agree. That's probably the best Quark out there now. And if you want different bodies so you can have different lights, you can order those two.