1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need a small neck knife.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by LumberJack, Apr 17, 2010.

1. LumberJack

LumberJack Empty Pockets

2. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr Loaded Pockets

Folding knife as neck knife is a bit strange? (the spyderco is a folder).

3. LumberJack

LumberJack Empty Pockets

Yeah, but I figure it'll work just as fine for my use.

Then again, I just realized I'd have to take off the chain to use it. Hmm, yeah, bit of a speedbump there.

4. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

It's also crazy small. Only about 3" overall. What exactly would you be using the neck knife for? That might help us give suggestions.

5. LumberJack

LumberJack Empty Pockets

It doesn't scream "HE'S GOTTA KNIFE" though, which is what I'm aiming for. I'm young, and a good kid, but I'm quiet and probably look a bit shady. And there's a good few paranoid people where I'm at.
    I'd use the knife for small things. Carving into a tree, openng a package, etc. Light use. I have a leatherman I can use for everything else.

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I am really happy with my Todd Begg Tree Frog as a neck knife.
    [​IMG]

7. molotov

molotov Empty Pockets

I have this and I really like it a lot, it gives really good grip and leverage for box cutting, package opening, etc. And it's right in your price range.

[​IMG]
    http://www.crkt.com/Folts-Minimalist-Neck-Knife-Razor-Sharp-Edge

You could also find someone to make you something like this for any knife you want.

[​IMG]
    http://countycomm.com/LEEK.html

County comm says they're out of stock, but you could probably email and inquire about it. They sell their personal stuff sometimes, it seems, and the Kershaw, or Ken Onion leek, is a very classy looking knife, which would be good if your area, or people around you frown upon the "scary tactical" models.

8. papacrapas87

papacrapas87 Loaded Pockets

LOL. OP asked for under 30 bucks. Doubt that Begg is... :)
    But it's nice~

9. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure that the HoneyBee would be any better than the blade on a Leatherman. If you really want an ├╝ber small neck knife, go for a fixed blade. This one often gets good praise: Columbia River Ritter RSK. Also, not to be a fun-killer, but don't carve into living trees. It hurts them.

10. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I just bought a Hideaway Knife and got three different sheath configurations.

11. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

a thought: if you are looking for something that doesn't scream "he's got a knife" maybe one of the small SAKs would be a better choice (lets face it, some people don't even think "knife" when they see a SAK)

however, if a neck knife is what you decide to go with, the CRKTs suggested seem to be good choices.
    boker also has the voxknives gnome, which seems like a nice little neck knife with good reviews. they also make the "grashopper" which looks like it should be under $30 when it hits the US.

12. xdivercrete

xdivercrete Empty Pockets

check also Frontsight s H.A.K.!!!!have on and never leave home without it!!!!

13. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

14. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

Hartsook or the Buck Smidgen would be good choices. I also have the CRKT Folts knife, and while I don't use it a whole lot, it is a nice little knife. Smaller still would be the CRKT RSK Mk 5. On the street they sell for around 19 bucks and are a pretty good little deal. I have one and don't carry it all that frequently, but on the rare occasions where I do want a neck knife, it works out pretty well.

Notice I don't use either of my neck knives all that often. Merely a personal preference as opposed to some dislike of neck knives. I have a Becker Necker that I never intend to wear around my neck but that I still use pretty frequently. It just boils down to the fact that for me, a neck knife is actually a little impractical. For my purposes, it is harder to get to and offers no real advantage over any of my folders. Now, that is just my circumstances. I can easily envision other circumstances where I might prefer to wear a necker.

15. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I missed the under $30 part. Ooopsie on my part.

I used to have a folder that I wore as a neck knife.

16. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

I'm just curious; why does it have to be a neck knife? a Honeybee in the pocket is pretty inconspicuous. That said: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7607 under $5 shipped from HK, quality is hit or miss and it does scream "knife!" when people see it. As always, be aware of local and state knife laws (e.g., a concealed fixed blade may be looked upon differently than a pocket knife) and the reality of how they are enforced (particularly important if you're gonna rock the "shady" look). All this said, a little neck sheath for a Honeybee would be pretty awesome. You could probably get someone to kydex one up for you to carry with the knife already open for pretty cheap.

17. SERE

SERE Loaded Pockets

TOPS Wolf Pup.

[​IMG]

18. McGuyver

McGuyver Loaded Pockets

Check out the ESEE Izua knive too before making your decision.

19. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

20. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

Sounds like the previously mentioned Buck Hartsook should fit the bill nicely, or for a little less money, the Smidgeon. I've had my Hartsook for several years and really like it. I also have the AG Russell "Hunter Scalpel" which is a small neck knife for $20 that isn't too tactical looking.