1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need a new watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by KB3UBW, May 27, 2013.

1. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

So, I just started taking classes for my dive cert. and during one of the pool swims I discovered that my last watch was not as waterproof as it once was, but that's what you get for $20. So now it's time to upgrade to something better, so here's my list of requirements:
    ;Waterproof(duh)
    ;Less than $100
    ;Preferably digital, but analog is ok
    ;Wearable for any occasion that requires less than a suit
    ;Durable. And by durable I mean DURABLE.
    That's all I can think of for now, but feel free to ask questions, and give suggestions.
    Thanks for all your help.

2. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Suggestions...I only have one : Casio G-Shock.

Luckily...there's a lot to choose from. Here's a few options...

How about a cool green solar-powered watch : http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G6900KG-3CR-G-Shock-Military-Multi-Function/dp/B00791YX10/ref=sr_1_73?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1369710721&sr=1-73&keywords=casio+g+shock+mudman

You want tough...this is pretty darn tough :

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G9000MS-1CR-G-Shock-Military-Concept/dp/B001QFYDEW/ref=sr_1_3?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1369711143&sr=1-3&keywords=casio+g+shock+mudman

Happy watch hunting...:)

ac7ss and Wfs29223 like this.
  3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Your entire list of requirements . . . Basically any Casio G-Shock.

Wfs29223 likes this.
  5. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

For digital, g shock or time expedition, for stainless steel diver style, get an invicta 8926ob. 200m resistance for $90

ac7ss likes this.
  6. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Now that I've looked at more watches, I've decided that I want more of a "Diver" watch, so the revised requirements are:
    ;Durable
    ;<$100
    ;preferably date/day function
    ;black face
    ;if possible black dial/bracelet, but that doesn't matter as much, as I plan to have both a rubber and a steel bracelet, possibly NATO as well
    ;preferably with a steel bracelet, but again not a deal killer
    ;EDIT: I want it to have numbers on the face, and that is a deal breaker, for me
    I think that's about it, thanks.

7. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

8. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Yep, Orient Ray (or Mako) .... If you can bump the budget up to about $200, though, I'd choose Seiko Monster (or 007, or 009) instead.

9. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

If you could go as high as $165 then I would definitely recommend the Citizen BN0000 - a traditionally styled dive watch, eco drive movement (a solar powered quartz), rated to 300m and also fully tested to ISO 6425 standard as a 'Divers' watch.
    Mine has been on my wrist for the last three years and has been absolutely superb.

If the budget is a bit more strict, then I would probably look towards something more basic like a Casio. As an example Amazon is showing me the MDV106 for under $50, which certainly fits with a 'dive watch' styling and seems decent for the money, if not certified for full scuba diving.

The default answer whenever someone mentions 'rugged' is of course one of the Casio G Shocks. You could get a basic model like the DW5600 or DW6900 for under $50 which will be one of the toughest watches you will find, if not particularly pretty looking. For just under the $100 mark you could get something like the GW5600 which is the same style as the more basic model, but giving you options like solar power - meaning you won't have to open the back and switch the battery ever few years, so less chance of compromising the water proofing.

Of course, for your $100 budget you could buy both the G Shock and the analog option ;)

10. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

I can't quite swing $160, most I can go is about $125, not including a second bracelet. Also, I forgot to I add that I would prefer numbers on the face, instead of dots.

11. GG_Blaisdell

GG_Blaisdell Loaded Pockets

Orange Mako was an excellent suggestion.

Sent from my Nexus-6 (basic pleasure model)

12. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

I'm liking the looks of the black Mako, any experiences/ pictures that y'all would care to share?

13. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

My Mako on a couple of bracelets. I'm wearing it on a Maratac Zulu strap at this moment. I also have its brother, the Ray, and an Orient dress watch.

I bought the Mako on the rubber strap to save a couple of dollars since I knew I'd be changing it around.

[​IMG]

Bracelet sold for a Seiko SKX007
    [​IMG]

GrayMouser and microbe like this.
  14. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about buying it on the rubber as well, if I do, what steel bracelet would y'all recommend?

15. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

Love that bracelet:) !

16. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

For me, its hard to beat the shark mesh for comfort. It has 22mm lugs, so there are lots of choices. Its case shape is close enough to the Seiko SKX series that you can use most bracelets with curved(hollow) end links. I haven't tried a solid end link bracelet for it, but I suspect the fit would be off a bit and not easily tweakable.

Here's a good place to start. He's pretty popular on WUS
    http://www.tungchoywatch.com/index.php/infoBox/1/cPath/136?osCsid=4af3100e12663a4d425a9c296d1ce665

This seller on ebay is also very good(its where mine came from) He's also on WUS
    http://myworld.ebay.com/wjean28?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Last edited by amacman, May 29, 2013
  17. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Ok, how hard is it to swap out the bracelets/straps? And how hard is it to remove extra links from a bracelet?
    Also, has anybody here bought one with the steel bracelet? If so, how is the stock bracelet?

18. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Swapping bracelets is only a little more tricky than regular straps. Both use the same spring bars. Go on ebay or Amazon get and get a cheap spring bar tool for a couple of bucks. It will be WAY better than messing around with paperclips or knife points at home.

Same thing with removing links. There is a small pin to press or tap out. Harbor Freight tools sells a plier type pin pusher that's ok. Or ebay again. Look for "watch bracelet sizing tools" most are going to be little blocks to hold the watch steady and a tiny hammer and punches. Lots of spring bar tools come with a little pin punch on one end. You can sometimes push them out with that, just depends on how tight they are. I like the plier type pin pusher. WHile they cant handle some of the bigger bracelets, the give a good feel to what you're doing. Some aftermarket bracelets use small screws, so a set of precision/jewelers screwdrivers does the trick.

I've handled the stock bracelet on the Mako, its not horrible, just not as nice done as the rest of the watch. The Orient Ray has a much nicer bracelet.

19. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Silly question here, how much would I have to raise my budget to get the next step up in quality, but with the same features?( Black face, Day/Date, Automatic, Steel Bracelet, Numbers on the face(not dots)

Myth90045 likes this.
  20. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

You can get some really good ones at the $150-170 range.

Orient, Seiko, citizen, even invicta.

Sent from inside my bag