1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need a new watch.. (robust, simple, 1-300$)

Discussion in 'Watches' started by two_zeri, Oct 29, 2016.

1. two_zeri

two_zeri Loaded Pockets

So my Hanowa Guardian broke yesterday (10min wiggle in watch arm). Is it just me, or should a watch with "military" written on it be able to take a 1 meter fall?

This one and the Bell & Ross BR01 is really the only watches I liked the look of so far (and I can't afford the BR01)

-Robust, needs to take handle a 2m drop & being worn while riding enduro.
    -Waterproof to some extent, I'm no diver, but dropping it into the sink or bath isn't unlikely.
    -Clean / Simple design, not a lot of things going on, like on majority of mens watches.
    -Big / manly^^
    -100-300$ range
    -Be able to take leather strap (even if I have to make one myself)

Any suggestions?

Cheers!!

P.S. how are Bulova, Luminox & Citizen when it comes to robustness? Suggestion on brands that are robust and make big watches in my price range would be cool also, then I could have somewhere to start from:)

2. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

2 meters drop? Sound like something non mechanical and plastic.

3. two_zeri

two_zeri Loaded Pockets

was a afraid of that.. I mean I dont need a mechanical watch, but did you mean non quartz also - as in, digital? why plastic thou?

4. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Anything with a lot of moving part and heavier will likely not survive 2 meters drop. Plastics Gshocks and the likes will bounce of a mountain and still work for you.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

The problem here is the 2m drop (6'6") combined with leather strap.

6. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

Casio Pro-trek or G-shock lots of options to suit your personal tastes and needs for what ever your application may entail, and durability requirements

ScoutMedic likes this.
  7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Cant go wrong with a g-shock really, i have multiple and they are all solid as a rock and you can get simple resin ones for a couple tenners up to the mtg series that will set you back an arm and three legs. If you want something more grown up check out a marathon t-sar. Apart from the battery dying on me every couple of years it's proven just as reliable, it's a genuine beast!

8. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Seconded. Actually reading above, it's thirded. Lots of styles, tough as old boots. I've only had mine nearly two years and despite British summertime confusing both me and it, it's been fantastic.

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Definitely look at G-shock. Some are incredibly complex displays. But there are plenty that are more straight forward and bear a look.

I'm also a fan of the Seiko 5 and Seiko 5 Sports mechanical watches. If that works for you. You can find them as low as ~$55 and up through a few hundred. Been around now quite a while; very dependable and robust. But I won't attempt to testify to how well they would handle an enduro ride.

I think for that and for budget etc., G-shock will be your winner.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. Theskyiscrying

Theskyiscrying Loaded Pockets

For those requirements, I agree with a G-Shock. I love mine.

ScoutMedic likes this.
  11. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

My two most used g-shocks change summer/winter-time automagically without issue, heck they even have atomic time keeping and all that goodness. There's usually some setting you need to dig for but once you have it set right for your country if should be a no-brainer.

12. two_zeri

two_zeri Loaded Pockets

sorry, not been on for a few days! so the general opinion here seems to be g-shock (the analog ones aswell?).. Im not a big fan of em thou, and most of em seem pretty hard to read..

Any opinions on Suunto Core Crush when it comes to abuse? Lookwise, I could carry one, and the display seems pretty clear.

[​IMG]

jgonc likes this.
  13. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Indeed. I've got my city set (check) then I've had daylight saving with it on, off and auto.

14. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I'd say, this is clearly not a photo, it's a computer-rendered image of that watch. so of course the display seems pretty clear.

If you mean clean like in design.. yeah, clearly that display looks pretty clean.

Last edited by flux, Nov 5, 2016
  15. MojoMarine

MojoMarine Loaded Pockets

My vote:
    Under $300, robust, waterproof, big, and auto movements...

1) Seiko Monster Orange or Black

2) Maratac Large Auto from Countycomm... monitor to catch on sale for under 300.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk