1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I need a new multitool.

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by wanderer16, May 4, 2019.

1. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

My old bargain bin multitool finally broke on me. I am gonna replace it in my edc bag. I have narrowed it down to the Leatherman Rebar or Leatherman Wave. Y'all help me out. Which one should I go with?

2. leathermaneod

leathermaneod Loaded Pockets

Definitely the Wave, and might as well get the Wave plus right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wanderer16 likes this.
  3. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Rebar: Lighter weight, no pocket clip option, no OHO tools and no onboard bit driver. I own three and they’re solid. Great to stash in a hiking bag or similar.

Wave+: Heavier, optional pocket clip (and it’s good but not great). Excellent OHO tools, if I recall correctly the first-gen Wave was the first multi with OHO tools. Onboard bit driver, and while not everyone on EDCF agrees with me I really like the LM flat bit set. They feel more well-made to me than the Rebar. A much better file. My favorite multi of all time by a long, long way.

ox71, Jay345, Lateck and 1 other person like this.
  4. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

How about the new one from leatherman: Free P4

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

chaosmagnet likes this.
  5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

For me, I'm holding off for now. I gave my reasons in the thread here "Hey, Leatherman!"

If it's a good fit for you or for the OP, rock on.

ox71 likes this.
  6. wanderer16

I appreciate the responses. I did some more looking this morning on here and other sources also talked to my father whom I gifted a Wave a couple of years ago for Christmas. He really likes it and he is a tool nut so I figured that was a pretty good endorsement. I pulled the trigger and ordered me one. I think the tool assortment it contains will best suit my needs. I like to travel and I think it will fit that role nicely in my EDC bag.

7. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Hope it serves you well. I still have my Super Tool given to me by my parents more than 30 years ago. Could still use it to saw, screw, scrape or cut myself out of most predicaments. I once shortened a bedframe by 5 inches with it when the bedframe refused to fit into an alcove. Have lusted after newer models from time to time, but now it would feel like a betrayal to buy a new one as this one never betrayed me ;-)

8. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

My darling ;-)[​IMG]

9. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have one just like it :).

10. wanderer16

Is the super tool like the original version? Also is it longer than the wave?

11. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Well it was the biggest one they had at the time. There were smaller ones, some of those even had scissors. As to size comparisons you will have to ask others. As i indicated, I never bought another. A bit jaelous of later ones not digging into your palm when you try to clamp down on a recalsitrant wire tho

wanderer16 likes this.
  12. wanderer16

The first one I ever saw was in the early 90's. A guy that worked with me bought one. He carried it on his belt in the same leather sheath as you have pictured. I really liked it but if I remember correctly they were pricey at the time. I think they were relatively new back then.

13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have an original ST and the ST300. I don't have a scale, but the original seems lighter than the ST300. They're pretty close to the same length but the ST300 is significantly wider and deeper. You can compare the implements by looking at https://www.leatherman.com/super-tool-85.html?cgid=retiredproducts and https://www.leatherman.com/super-tool-300-2.html. The locking mechanism on the ST300 is easier to use for me. I also think that the replaceable cutters on the ST300 are excellent, and the slightly rounded edges make it easier to apply a lot of force to the pliers handles.

My original Super Tool isn't as important to me emotionally as my original PST, but I'm not planning to sell it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. wanderer16

You guys have been a lot of help. I am excited to get the Wave. The only multi tool I have ever had has been a real cheap one I got in a bargain bin at an auto parts store. It worked for me for several years but I am looking forward to owning a Leatherman.

15. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

This was the second Leatherman I bought, around 1997. Before this I had an original Leatherman in the same format, liked it pretty well, but found no real advantage over the Swisschamp I had carried previously. Then came the Super Tool, and it was just what I was looking for. Supplemented by a Micra for scissors and other amenities, it was my exclusive multi-tool for the next 9 years. The only things I didn't like about it were the clumsy method of releasing the tool locks, and the uncomfortable handle when crunching down on something. This was partly relieved by a folded handkerchief, but I couldn't find a good way to deal with the primitive and slow tool release. However, I learned to put up with it. When an improved Super Tool was introduced, I passed on it because I liked the original so much. For me, the tool layout was pretty much perfect, and I was willing to put up with the inconvenience. I did finally update with the ST300, however, because it pretty well satisfied my objections, but introduced problems of its own. It's thicker and heavier than the original, and I can't quite get used to that. The original fit my hand perfectly, the 300 is a kludge. That can be an issue if needed for self defense (happened once, didn't come to blows), but for something that happens that seldom, I can put up with it. So now the original ST is in semi-retirement, as am I. Whenever I find the need to rummage through my "collection," I take it out and fondle it, after which I put it away until next time. It's a good old thing from my youth.

16. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

What I did back then was wait until the after Christmas sales at the Target department store, when it was possible to buy these things at clearance prices. That's the time of the year when bargains abound, and I was able to stock up at low prices. Sadly, those good old days are no more. It was good times for several seasons until Target changed its merchandising policies. Now they don't even stock Leatherman anymore :( .

chaosmagnet likes this.
  17. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Personally, the Wave Plus strikes the right-balance between size, weight, and functionality. I've had mine for about six months, and it's been all that it's advertised to be. So much so, that I'm considering a 'blacked-out' version to add to the stable. I started-out wanting a Surge, but was convinced to grab a Wave. The only thing I added was an aftermarket, kydex-sheath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chaosmagnet and wanderer16 like this.
  18. wanderer16

@Elmiro Dungfoot Nice sheath. I like having a multi-tool in my EDC bag.(purse, hippie man bag, whatever LOL) Since thats where I keep it I think I am gonna go ahead and order the bit kit for it. That will make it even more handy to have around. When your on the road there is nothing like having a basic tool set for things that can and do come up. The bargain one I had got a lot of use but it was nothing like the Wave. I take my bag with me in the car or the saddle bag of my moto bike so it is close by when i need it.

Elmiro Dungfoot and chaosmagnet like this.
  19. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

What a coinkidink, I also got a Micra to make up for the missing scissors. Splendid little thing. Have since lost it, misplaced it or i am the victim of a pickpocket. I.E....I can't find the dratted thing. But I EDC a Style Cs on a belt loop as I have become used to having a small scissors on my body

20. wanderer16

[​IMG]
    My new Leatherman arrived today. I think I am gonna like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk