1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I must be obsessive - I dreamed about SAK's last night

Discussion in 'Knives' started by KevinB, Feb 23, 2008.

1. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

I dreamed I was in a sporting good store looking over the SAK display. I found an 84 mm 2-layer knife with a large blade, combo tool, scissors and awl. In alox.

I wonder what this means?

Kevin B.

2. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

It means it's time to go shopping! :D

3. bzorg

bzorg Loaded Pockets

Time for holidays in Switzerland

4. ufox9al

ufox9al Loaded Pockets

Wow! Voyageur with an awl! Only possible in a dream! :laugh:

5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

It's time to bring those dreams into reality! Contact one of the SAK modders of SOSAK on Knifeforums and you'll certainly get anything you want as long as you can supply other SAK's for parts. Scibeer is the one member that comes to mind... I believe I saw an Alox Farmer with the saw removed and scissors added by him.

6. ufox9al

ufox9al Loaded Pockets

Scibeer is indeed an outstanding modder. He has recently done some outstanding work with Cadets, making a voyageur (blade, combo tool, scissors) and other 84mm alox marvels. What I meant in my previous post is that it is either an awl or a combo tool opposite the main blade, and the scissors take the whole layer. So, I think even scibeer will have trouble putting all of those in 2 layers. ;D

7. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

How hard is it to replace the scales on a SAK? How are they detached and reattached? I'd be willing to pay a modder to do it, but it seems like a fun project to attempt myself....

8. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

9. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Thank you! I was able to register and find the exact step by step tutorial I was looking for in all of 3 minutes! :highfive:

10. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Removing the scales is actually quite easy. I think there was an article or post on SOSAK Online somewhere. The basic gist is to take another SAK. Remove the toothpick and tweezers from the scales you wish to remove. Slowly and gently jimmy the flat blade of the can opener into the pick/tweezer slot, in between the scale and the liner. Gently make your way around the perimeter of the knife with the other SAK. Occasionally you'll hear a pop, indicating that one of the snap things that hold the scales onto the knife have been popped open. Keep doing this all the way around thek nife andy ou have yourself a naked SAK. I did it on my first try with a Spartan. You can reattach the scales right away and they hold on just as well as they did before they were removed.

11. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

:welcome: to EDCF, Getahl!

12. jiji

jiji Loaded Pockets

Indeed it's quite easy to change the shells. I just changed plus shells (with slots for pen and pin) to two of my SAKs. If you don't have another SAK, you can use any thin knife to pry the shell apart. Just do it carefully, and it comes off quite easily. It's a bit stiff to attach a shell back, but a good way to do it is to press the shells into place with fingers first, and then put the whole SAK in a vise and slowly apply pressure until all the crevices have disappeared and the shells are snugly and completely in place (better use leather or something similar between the vise claws and the SAK in order to protect the new shell from vise marks).

Welcome, Getahl! :)

13. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

Note this is for the plastic scales. Alox scales are permanent :(

14. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Thank you ALL very much! This sounds like a fun and achievable mod. Now I just need to figure out which SAK to mod first and what to use for scales..... :woohoo:

15. jiji

jiji Loaded Pockets

Indeed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Although, if modding an alox-scaled SAK, it might be possible to file off other ends of the rivets, then disassemble the SAK to remove/change/add layers, and put in new rivets (or even use the same ones, if making a thinner SAK). Never done that though, so don't count on my word.

When I was a kid, I had a huge Wenger SAK which my uncle brought me from Israel where he was in UN's peace-keeping forces. It was too big to carry, so I removed the scales, filed off the other ends of the rivets, removed useless layers (huge plastic thingy with a compass and a ruler, and a scaling tool), cut the rivets to new length, hammered them flat and replaced the scales.

16. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

wow, no glue??? :eek: great :dance:
    and is it difficult making new scales?
    thnx

17. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

Careful there! Plastic SAK scales pop off and on with no glue. So if you have red, and you have blue, and you want to switch them, no problem.

But if you're making new scales, that's a different story. Unless you're using the same type of plastic (which flexes a little bit), and you can make the holes that hold the rivets accurate to very tight tolerances, you're going to have to use glue to hold the new scales on.

As far as difficulty, it's not bad. Just takes time! You need a piece of flat meterial, and a way to put holes in it that don't break through the other side. I use a dremel. If I had a milling machine, it would be much better I think :)

18. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

19. Stuey

Stuey Loaded Pockets

I hope it's not obsessive since I've been doing similar; I dreamt about buying an imaginary Gerber tool and a Skeletool CX the other day.

20. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

:ty: ok understood, and which glue would you use? only around the holes or on the entire scales?