1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I love my Fisher Space Pen, but...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Josh, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

I carry a fisher bullet in my pocket and I love everything about it except how the cap always wants to fall off when it's posted. Can anyone recommend a pen that is the same form factor as the bullet, but with a threaded cap? I would also prefer it to use a fisher refill because I do a lot of writing on vertical surfaces.

2. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The telescoping space pen is about as short as a bullet when it's in your pocket, but extends to a usable length without having anything that can fall off or get lost.

But I'm surprised that you're having issues with your cap. I've had several bullets and several of my friends have bullets and I've never seen a bullet that didn't post the cap securely.

--flatline

3. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

Check out the hinderer investigator pens, they are a little bigger, but they are still small pens and they work very well, I have 2 and I use those more than my bullet.

Nighted and MTFatboy like this.
  4. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

Do the Embassy Pens count? County Comm makes them in a few different metals, all with rounded tips and threaded caps. the tail of the design isn't threaded to hold the cap when the pen is in use, though.

MTFatboy likes this.
  5. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Fisher Telescoping Pen.

Jeff

Crazy Canuck likes this.
  6. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Consider a Tasche Ohto NBP-10T pen. It is compact like a bullet pen and when you post the cap, it is held firmly and securely with a rubber o-ring. I replaced the needle ballpoint refill it came with with a fisher refill though it will take a Parker style refill as well. The lacquered aluminum body also looks very nice and you can find them for less that $20.

brisboy and MTFatboy like this.
  7. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I'm loving the Hinderer and Embassy suggestions. I can use the same concept to make help my wife with her Saturn's performance issues by buying her a Ferrari ;)
    Like flatline, I've had several bullet pens, and the only problems I've ever had were keeping the clips on or losing the pens themselves. The caps have always held firm. Maybe rough up the contact surfaces just a little with sandpaper? Ive been looking at the Ohto as an alternative to the Fisher next time I lose one because the clip is permanently attached, and it costs a little less, but I do love that the Fisher is still US made.

Doraemon and Stutz like this.
  8. IBcrashen

IBcrashen Loaded Pockets

Here is a Hinderer Investigator vs a bullet pen. The Hinderer doesn`t come with the black o-rings, I put them on.

[​IMG]

BFG, stoneworks and MTFatboy like this.
  9. billd_697

billd_697 Empty Pockets

Just squeeze the cap a bit and it will snug it up when it closed up in ur pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

As far as I know what you are asking for doesn't exist... With the bullet shape being iconic enough to be on display at MoMA I'd guess than anyone who tries to imitate it sees some lawsuits pretty quickly. That said, maybe something here will help:

1) I've had the same problem as you are describing, varying largely by finish. Of what I've owned over the years the chrome bullet was worst, a matte black best, and one or two others (including the current "Copper Zirconium Nitride", whatever that is) in between

2) It isn't what you were searching for, and, yes, it is an upgrade, but I gave up my bullet in the pocket for an Investigator 3 years or so ago and have never regretted it.

3) Contact Fisher's customer service. I have dealt with them a few times and it has always been excellent.

11. rlockwood

rlockwood Empty Pockets

Check out TKSP on Kickstarter; it fits a lot of what you're looking for. (No affiliation, but a happy TKMB customer)

Doraemon likes this.
  12. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I've not had any issues with the cap coming loose on my space pen, but it has the stylus so it may be a little different. Here's a couple things to check...

1. Is the pen screwed together tightly? I know mine seems to unscrew itself somewhat in my pocket.

2. If stylus, Is the rubber o-ring at the top back in place?

13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Which Fisher is this happening with? Have never had this problem, but that could be in part because I lean towards the lacquered brass ones which have grip rings/knurling almost the entire length of the pen, which might lock in the cap a bit better when it is posted compared to the other Bullets which have smoother bodies.

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Sam

BFG, cheeser and MTFatboy like this.
  14. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

To be clear, it's not coming off in my pocket. It is coming off when I have it on the other end and I'm writing with it. This is the chrome finish pen that I'm having this issue with. The hinderer looks very promising, and $60-70 isn't out of line for a quality pen in my opinion. I'm also looking at some of the bolt action pens, but I really prefer something with a cap to keep the crud out of the end of it. This thing rides in my pants pocket with all my other "stuff". Thanks for the help, guys.

15. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

The cap on the back is "posting" or having the cap "posted", apparently. Some pens (like my embassy) don't "post" at all. This term I picked up a while back from a couple of pen review sites... I also picked up the knowledge that there are pen review sites.

One caveat I probably should mention on the Hinderer: because the cap is threaded (and the body threaded on both ends) it is much slower to deploy than your Fisher. Something to consider if you are taking a pen out, making a note and putting it away every other minute.

Doraemon likes this.
  16. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I use a Zebra Compact or Zebra Expandz. Cheap and widely available. I believe the Compact uses a pressurized cartridge. The cap posts firmly as long as the little o ring stays put. With a year or so of pocket wear, the o ring deteriorates, but could probably be replaced. However, Staples sells them for something like 2 for $10, so I just buy new ones. The Expandz is a telescoping pen with a classy chrome/enamel look.

17. 403Jeeping

403Jeeping Loaded Pockets

Any picture?

18. Silverj53

Silverj53 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I cut down an aluminum embassy pen, rides in the bottom of the pocket nice, but can still clip to the pocket if needed. Not much larger than my bullet.

Sriracha, MTFatboy, tdb and 1 other person like this.
  19. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I am on a crappy tablet. Can't copy and paste. Just google image search, you will prob find my pics!

20. Zatx

Zatx Loaded Pockets

How the heck did you cut down your Embassy Pen?!