1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I love Kydex!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by unloved, Mar 8, 2010.

1. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

P3AT/LCP Pocket Holster

This one is for right hand carry.
    The outside of the holster is flat, to prevent printing.

[​IMG]
    The body side is molded for some retention. I've developed a little trick to control the depth of the molding so that they're not too tight. The gun won't fall out (like mine occasionally does when I use a nylon pocket holster), but draws easily.
    [​IMG]

2. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

DId you do that yourself? Fantastic work!

3. oef24

oef24 Loaded Pockets

That is great work! Keep it up!

O

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

It appears to be otherwise fine craftsmanship, however, having carried several variants of handgun pocket holsters over the course of over two decades, I am VERY skeptical about the VERY sharp-looking apex next to the third rivet.

In a draw during an exigent circumstance, one or more of my fingers WILL likely become, at the very least, lacerated or gouged, by that ominous design.

5. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

Sure did. Thanks!
    Thank you, I will.
    It isn't as sharp as it appears in the photos. Certainly not sharp enough to lacerate, or gouge, anything. That said, I incorporated that design feature for a reason. Kydex offers much more positive retention than the universal fit leather, and nylon pocket holsters that are out there. I've designed, and built, my pocket holster to keep the gun inside, but not hold too tightly. However, the gun will not come out of the holster as easily as it will with , say, a Desantis Nemesis. Either that hook, or the one that extends past the slide, will catch the pocket on the draw, stripping the holster away. In a draw during an exigent circumstance, a little possible finger poke WILL DEFINITELY be the least of my worries.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Well, I look at it this way. If the "finger poke" affects my trigger finger to where I cannot efficiently operate the trigger to save my life, then it DEFINITELY will BE a primary concern.

If it works for you, more power to you.

Does that sharp edge damage your pocket or the trouser itself?

7. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

I'm curious as to how you think your trigger finger could even contact that spot. It's at the rear of the pocket, trigger finger's at the front. If anything, I suppose it's remotely possible that the little, or ring, finger could contact it. Your comments aroused my curiousity, so I've experimented. I can't touch that spot with my trigger finger, while the holster is pocketed, unless I contort my hand and wrist into a position that wouldn't allow me to draw the gun anyway. It's quite difficult to do, as the little finger side edge of my hand is against the rear of the pocket. Anyway, as I said earlier, it's not sharp, so what do you think is going to affect your trigger finger "to where" you "can't efficiently operate the trigger"? It's Kydex, not a razor blade.

To answer your question, there is no sharp edge.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Anything is possible. I have drawn a handgun from a multitude of holster types and styles made from several materials. Just because it is not sharp does not mean it cannot do damage to the fingers. In the heat of the draw, one can shove the hard kydex material into the cuticle area or underneath the fingernail of the trigger finger so that it traumatizes that appendage to where it becomes numb. I have done so where my finger throbbed from the pain and it effected my ability to operate the firearm.

This is precisely why I do not care for the kydex material for pocket holster. I prefer soft suede or nylon.

This scenario seems remote, however when done over a thousand times in variety of positions, circumstances, and pocket types, pocket types, while running, seated in an automobile, running, laying down on the ground while wrestling with a would-be assailant, etc., the probability of what I just described becomes entirely plausible.

In a rear pocket of fairly tight-fitting jeans where this holster type's position would remain fairly constant, this would allow for fairly consistent hand positioning so that the trigger finger would not gravitate towards that apex.

Try this while the holster is in the large side pocket of a London Fog overcoat where the holster WILL shift and that apex would now be in the upright position or the inside breast pocket of my calfskin leather jacket where the pocket is square and would force the flat part of this holster to lie on the bottom of the pocket and, again that apex is now at a position where my trigger finger might likely contact it. I can go on with another half-dozen or so examples when the holster is confined within a finite space and the likelihood of injuring the trigger finger increases.

9. alan85

alan85 Loaded Pockets

Looks awesome. Show us how you made it for extra points. :)

10. kenshomi

kenshomi Loaded Pockets

Wow nice work - looks a lot like my Raven holster. clean and tight to the body

11. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

Glock 9mm Mag Pouch w/Adjustable Retention

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tindjin

Tindjin Empty Pockets

Nice mag pouch, looks almost exactly like a Comp-Tac but at a heck of a cheaper price I bet. Where are you getting your Kydex?

13. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

Thanks. I'm getting my Kydex from knifekits.com for now, but I'm looking for another supplier.

14. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

Nice. I've been meaning to eventually getting around to playing with Kydex.

15. ericb445

ericb445 Loaded Pockets

Nice Work
    I would buy one from you, pointy bits and all..

16. Chains

Chains Empty Pockets

I've never used kydex for handguns only for knives.Scratch factor.

17. along

along Empty Pockets

raven holsters are very well made and worth every penny

18. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

I've been using Kydex holsters for years, from a variety of makers before I started making my own, and I've never had any of my guns scratched. The bluing around the muzzle on my P3AT is worn (leather will do that too), but no scratches.

19. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

High Ride OWB for my XD .40 SC
    [​IMG]

20. unloved

unloved Empty Pockets

Could you maybe post stuff like this in their thread? Thanks.