1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I lost my knife. It's time to buy another.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Rpuppet, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

I lost my knife. It's time to buy another.

For the last six or seven years I've been carrying a Spyderco FRN Native with CPM-S30V steel. I loved the knife, and I'm not sure where it went. I suspect I dropped it at work. I like how light it was. How it fit in my hand. I really liked how the finger choil let me choke up close to the blade. I'm a big fan of lockback knives. It wasn't too expensive so I thought I wouldn't be too upset about losing it, (not true). Anyway, it's gone and I need to replace it.

I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement. I plan to stay around the $100 price range plus or minus 25%. If anyone can make a case to spend more I'm open to the suggestion. I'm tempted to buy an exact replacement, but I think I should take this opportunity to step up in quality. I've considered the new forum Moonglow Native. The problem with this knife is that it's a collectable. Knowing myself I would just put it in a drawer and hold onto it. (This is a bad habit of mine that in the past led to me buying multiples of anything I wanted to actually use/read/drink. I just caught myself putting limited edition beers aside to 'age'.) I'm strongly leaning towards the Native5 and will be highly suggestible towards any support for this knife.

I realise my criteria is somewhat vague, but I don't want to stifle any suggestions. Basically I like the features of the Spyderco Native, but I'm sure a number of you have some alternatives that I haven't considered. Thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

2. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Loaded Pockets

My next knife is going to be an sv30 manix 2

defuse kit likes this.
  3. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

Rockclimber beat me to it. I have an old Native, and a few Manix models. The Manix line is amazing, and very strong. I'm sad they moved to the s30v though, I love my 154cm version. The Manix XL is a BIG blade, but also has s30v.

I'd also recommend the Buck Vantage line up, as the selections available are nice. You have multiple steel choices, and it's USA made.

4. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I have a Manix and it is a great knife. The Delica is a classic and great knife, as well.

5. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I lost my Native 3 FRN some years ago, so I bought another. Then found the first. Count me in a supporter of the Native, though I'm less fond of the full flat grind. I think if I wanted to go in that direction, I would look at one of the Sage models. But going away from Spyderco, I think that one knife you can't go wrong with is the Benchmade 710D2. That is just a great knife.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  6. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

I had the Native 5. I hate lock backs and ended up selling it. I want a new one, but I'm holding out for an orange G10. Buy the Native 5. It is heavier than the FRN, but it has a better blade shape (IMO), better build with the liners and G10 (arguable, I know there are a lot of FRN fans out there), and S35VN seems comparable to S30V.

It is a better version of the knife you lost. Pocket clip is nicer too. :D

I don't know if Jon has any regular N5's but you can find them on eBay for around $120. Might be able to snag one used on CPFMP or Blade for less.

If you want to try something different, I would also recommend the Sage line, like saniterra mentioned.

7. Hartigan
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hartigan EDC Junkie!!!

The common recommendation ;). Spyderco Paramilitary 2. Great EDC-knife :D

Leemaxx and MattM87 like this.
  8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Perhaps a chaparral? If I lived in an area where a locking blade was legal that'd be my choice. It's a little smaller I believe, but it is also cpm-s30v and has a classier look. It's got great jimping and you can really choke up on it.

9. DUSTBOWL

DUSTBOWL Loaded Pockets

The caly 3 and caly 3.5 have yet to be suggested. The g-10 handle/vg-10 steel versions can both be had in this price range. If you like lock back knives they are a pretty great choice. They are pinned, so they can not be readily disassembled, this may or may not matter to you.

10. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

The Spyderco Persian and Anso, are both close to your price and will give you something a bit unique.

11. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Spyderco PM2 - the ergonomics are just *amazing* on this blade, and the fit and finish are terrific. You won't go wrong, and its definitely a step up from the Native. The only downside is if you have tiny hands, but for medium to large hands, the PM2 is excellent. Bang at your price point as well.

12. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

The PM2 is awesome, and I want another one myself. But, good luck finding one new right now.

13. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Skip the Persian. Spyderco didn't do a good job finishing these and they were very gritty out of the box. It's no surprise they discontinued these soon after production.

14. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I just got a Persian for Christmas and love it. Smooth and very well finished.

15. AB.AlexB

AB.AlexB Loaded Pockets

Hmmmm weird. I've handled quite a few and they were not that great. Maybe the many that I've handled we're just bad.

16. Leemaxx

Leemaxx Loaded Pockets

+1 Spydie Para 2!

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

They are hard to find right now. I am waiting for more to be available right now. Spyderco is out of them.

18. Pilgrimm

Pilgrimm Loaded Pockets

Maybe branch out a bit and get yerself a Grip.

Amazing to me no one has mentioned it.

19. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Apples and Oranges. The PM2 is big. Bigger than the Native and say goodbye to choking up. The blade it too long. It reads 1/2 inch longer, but that's enough to make it a :censored: for tip work. Also the handle is big. Goofy big IMO. I've only seen two people my whole life that needed a handle that big, Andre the Giant and The Big Show.

It's popular, so I'm in the minority, but I've owned them both and I wouldn't recommend going from the Native to a PM2. The Chaparral, Sage, or Caly are much better choices. Though the Native 5 is the best of the best. :D