1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I like wooden pencils...but I'm going back to mechanical pencils

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by flatline, Oct 29, 2016.

1. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

They won't go bad. Stash them somewhere safe and they'll still be good when you somehow acquire a 0.9mm pencil that you want to use.

--flatline

WillAdams likes this.
  2. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I've probably written ad-nauseum here about wooden pencils, and I do love them, but I also love/have mechanical pencils as well. In college my go-to pencil was the classic Pentel P-205 .5mm. I'm sure I still have some of those kicking around somewhere. Later I began to use the Pentel Kerry pencils because they're nice to carry in a shirt pocket, but they're awful short for a big hand. Then I sort of changed up to the Graph Gear 1000 retractable pencil in .5mm (as a bank account saving alternative to the Rotring Rapid Pro which go for an arm & leg anymore). The GG 1000 I got is all metal (frankly, I thought they all were). I've been using the GG 1000 for a while and it's okay-nice. I kind of don't like the little rubber nubby things on the grip though (much as someone else here said too). I do like that it's thin in diameter, which leads to better precision IMO.

Most of my pencils I now carry in a hard pencil case in my pack so mechanical stress on the pencil is pretty minimal. So today I decided to get a couple new additions to test. I just ordered a Rotring 600 .5mm (black), and an Alvin Draft-Matic .5mm (black). Yeah, they're not retractable so they won't likely be riding around in a pocket, but they do seem to fit the precision bill. Should have them in a couple days, so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Moshe ben David likes this.