1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I like my Dragonfly, but....

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bltkmt, Sep 27, 2010.

1. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I have (and love) a G-10 Dragonfly that I carry as such (with an Atwood whistle and Preon Revo light):

[​IMG]

However, I would prefer a knife that is more "slim" if possible. The Dragonfly is a great knife, but it is just about 1.5 inches at its widest point because of the width of the blade. Looking for suggestions on a comparable quality knife that is more slim/narrow for pocket carry? A clip is not a necessity. Would like it to be bigger than the tiny knives (Keycom, Ladybug, etc).

TIA

2. Hebily

Hebily Loaded Pockets

The Kershaw Chive has roughly the same size cutting edge, but in a much smaller package. Not available in g10. It's a liner lock, not a back lock.

There's also the Benchmade 310 It's a wierd sort of cross between a liner lock and an axis lock. Ti scales. I just noticed the Benchmite doesn't appear to have a lanyard hole, so it's probably out.

What features of the Dragonfly do you definately want to keep?

3. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

If you can get by without a lock, check out the Grasshopper. 1/4" shorter handle, 1/4" longer cutting edge and just a little over half the closed width of the D'fly. Solid little knife, and it would match the other stuff on your keyring better. ;-)

4. rdrogers

rdrogers Loaded Pockets

Ladybug.

Oops... reread and saw you don't want a ladybug. Good key chain knife, though.

5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

You could put a Victorinox Cadet or Classic-SD on your keys. Not an exciting choice but extremely practical and very thin.

6. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

How about the Spyderco Cricket, SS Kiwi (comes in slip-it version now), Kopa, or Grasshopper (might be smaller than you want). The Spyderco Urban might work too, but I'm not sure how wide it is compared to a D-fly. Spyderco makes very good small knives. :)

7. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Thanks all for the suggestions - will look them over carefully. I should say that I am not opposed to the Ladybug...I have one now. I just wish it had better handle material, like my Dragonfly (G-10). The FRN is not as nice.

8. Peruna1998

Peruna1998 Empty Pockets

Does the knife have to be a tactical/modern knife? If not, then you could look at traditionals. A GEC (Great Eastern Cutlery) lockback or slipjoint is a robust knife. If you want something truly slim and pocketable, look at Canal Street's Half Moon Pie Trapper.

9. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

There's a stainless steel Ladybug. It's going to be heavier than FRN, but it's got a nicer feel to it.

10. macmiddlebrooks

macmiddlebrooks Loaded Pockets

Hows about a spyderco Sage 2?
    Very thin and amazing slicer....

11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's wierd - I'm pretty sure the Benchmite definitely does have a lanyard hole. If you look further down the page, it shows a picture with a lanyard hole. Perhaps the photos at the top of the page is a prototype photo.

I would say that for a keychain, your best bets for a folder would be:
    • Alox SAK in whichever size you prefer
    • Benchmade Benchmite
    • Spyderco Kiwi or Kiwi Slipit

If you would be willing (and legally able) to consider a fixed blade, that would open up a few more options.

12. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I too have been thinking about this issue as well. Here some choices not yet mentioned:

1. The SOG Flash I. It is thin as pin. I like it a lot, but the opening is not as easy as the Dragonfly.
    2. The Spyderco Jester. This is a sweet friggin knife, especially in the Micarta versions. I especially like the jimping near the tip. Problem is it is only a smidge narrower.
    3. The Paul Executive from Lone Wolf. What a beautiful and elegant design. My only concerns are: 1) price; 2) lack of a pocket clip; and 3) the "mystery steel". But the design is soooo compelling.
    4. The Al Mar Falcon (which ever is the smallest of that line). Thin, small, elegant, but no clip.
    5. The small CRKT Eros. It is a the lightest knife I have seen with a lock and a 2 inch blade. It is pricey, but one the Blade Import Knife of the Year. It is $80 and a flipper and is made of Ti and weighs...ready for it...0.8 ounces.
    6. The AG Russell Spire. I have no experience with it, but it is small, classy, narrow, has a clip. It is just very expensive like at least $165.

Other ideas: The Baby Goddard from Spyderco and a Small Jess Horn from Spyderco. The former is easy enough to find, but comes CE only. The former is impossible to find and when found is very expensive--like $200 or more. It is a really great design...a bastard child of Spyderco and Al Mar's Raptor knives.

Hope those suggestions help.

13. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I might try a Benchmite...looks to be fairly small/thin. Any suggestions on where to get one cheap?

14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I assumed you had made a typo on the weight, so I looked it up. Some sites quote the weight as 0.7 oz! Even the larger 3" Eros is only 1.4 oz. I haven't looked that hard at CRKT in a long time, but this looks like a knife to be reckoned with - a feather-weight Ti framelock for under $100!

It's a nice looking knife, but it does remind me of the Kershaw Leek/Onion/Chive knives and I could never get used to their balance. Fortunately, the CRKT Eros and Ripple don't seem to have the A/O that the Kershaw knives had.

FWIW, it really is too bad that CRKT hates lefties - most of their pocket clips are RH only.

15. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

The original Benchmites have a lanyard hole. It was pretty small though, needs thin cord. The lock was called the Levitator mechanism. You press down on the tab towards the tail end and that lifts a pin out of a hole to unlock the blade. It's a great little knife but hard to find these days in the original Ti/154CM config.

[​IMG]

16. ambaal

ambaal Loaded Pockets

CLB Ti-com without clip.

Chad Los Banos line of boker knives are arguably thinnest folders there are. And Ti-Com looks real good too.

17. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Ooh, I like that Al Mar, which model is it?

EDIT: ok, just when I clicked submit, I noticed the IMG-code said Hawk, is that right?

18. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

The other cool thing about these two knives is that they are the first two production knives (that I can find) that have the Ikoma Korth Ball-Bearing System at the pivot which allows for super smooth opening and closing.

Another cool thing about the 2" Eros--it has a pocket clip. None of the truly super light knives, like the smallest of the Al Mar knives and the Paul Executive have a clip. Without a clip it must weigh less than a breath.

If someone has one of these knives, especially the Eros, I'd love to know what it is like. I have never really liked CRKT knives, but as was said above, the Eros small really caught my eye as there is nothing out there really like it.

19. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I think the Sub-coms are wider than my Dragonfly? Looking for something more narrow.

I can't find the Benchmite in any of the usual places...

20. Versatek

Versatek Loaded Pockets

Check out the Triple Eight Designs offerings. Thier blog shows and describes several: http://888professional.blogspot.com/

I have been carrying the SOL since December '09 clipped to my offhand pocket. I use it a lot more than I thought I might. It is very solid and well made. It is a "spinner," not a folder, and there is no way it is going to accidentally close.