1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I just ordered a GR1, 26L

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ArkansasFan30, May 5, 2017.

1. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

So I've been on a backpack search lately. I have a Vanquest Trident 20 and a model of The North Face no longer in production. Both are black. I don't want a backpack that's not black.

I'm actually doing a Goruck event in three weeks albeit a Constellation not the suck challenge. I need a bag large enough to handle the equipment list required, and I didn't think the Vanquest could handle it. I also have problems storing things in my TNG bag. Failing to mention, I don't wish to soil my Vanquest.

That being said, I've been wanting a less tactical bag. I've looked at the Vertx Gamuts having decided the Ready Pack wasn't for me, and I've been browsing some others including the Alpha One Niner items. Today, I decided to buy a Gamut but found they're sold out (in black) with most of the dealers I checked with online. Others were sketchy, over priced, or excessive in the shipping. I like the looks and fabric of the Gamut a lot but still think it wouldn't be for me because I didn't like and returned the Ready Pack.

I looked at Goruck stuff again. The build quality is great, and the 26L will meet my needs for the Constellation. I purchased and added a sternum strap, water bottle holder, and padded organizer with the grand total of $288 with an ID Me discount.

I have a bit of buyer's remorse and think if I don't like it I'll send it back and make due with the TNF bag for the Construction event. Alternatively, I may just use it and resell. The lack of organization and the abrasiveness of the fabric I've read about concern me. They're also more spendy than I'd like for a backpack that I probably won't even EDC although having a "field bag" and larger overnight backpack might be nice.

It really sunk in when I thought "What the heck am I doing to put in that ridiculous slanted pocket on the back? It won't even organize pens and stuff."

2. SSol

SSol Loaded Pockets

I didn't even know Goruck events were still a thing! Congrats on entering and good luck on running it.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  3. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

GR1 is a staple to any good bag collection. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn close.

4. ArkansasFan30

Thanks. Just hoping the 26 L isn't too big. I'm 6'2" so hopefully not.

5. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

You just can't beat a GR1 man. I've had mine for almost five years now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. camporama

camporama Loaded Pockets

I've used my GR1 daily for the last year, and I have no regrets. I actually love the front slant pocket.

7. Amadeus Brown Snivelitch

Amadeus Brown Snivelitch Empty Pockets

I regret selling my GR 1, best built bag I ever owned. Was just a tad too small for what I needed at the time and went to a brain bag. You won't regret this bag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. ArkansasFan30

You know, in the bag community, I read the GR1 is a comfortable bag on the shoulders. On a YouTube video of guys that merely test random products, they thought it was one of the least comfortable bags ever, lol. I'm looking forward to finding out!

9. CarryNRuck

CarryNRuck Empty Pockets

I have a 26L GR1 and it's perfect for me. I'm just a shade under 5'10"), so I'm sure it'll be just fine for you. The backpack is tough as nails and is well laid out. I've been using it for my EDC and training for months now and it does both admirably.

10. battlestage

battlestage Loaded Pockets

I bought one and sold my TAD Fast Litespeed and haven't looked back. I'd like to add the GR2 down the road.

11. ArkansasFan30

Do you have many TAD items?

12. battlestage

battlestage Loaded Pockets

I had an OP1 pouch that was attached to the Fast pack and a Rogue RS jacket. I'm sure I'll be buying more TAD gear down the road.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

13. Amadeus Brown Snivelitch

Amadeus Brown Snivelitch Empty Pockets

The straps are stiff when you first get it. It takes time to wear them in, and it's one of those packs that wears better the more weight you have in it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

You're perfect size for it. I'm 5'7" and the 26L is a hair long - but I have a big-:censored: 15" laptop that won't fit in the 21L. Then again, the 26L is better proportioned than the 21L.

15. ArkansasFan30

Well, it came in. The dimensions and sleek (read: smooth, flat) appearance are really great.

I shoved all my EDC crap in there, plus a few other items that I'd previously removed from my EDC bag that served little purpose if only for fantasy scenarios. They added undesirable weight, and I was unable to carry spontaneous things in my Vanquest Trident 20.

The GR1 actually distributes that excess weight quite well. Remarkably well. It didn't bother me with a big load of stuff, and I actually think the bag would be awkward with little internal load. I wish I mad a mannequin to hang it on to mold it into a torso shape. It's quite stiff.

The laptop compartment seems devoid of any added features like the female Velcro commonly found in comparable bags. I've never made use of that so it's ok. It holds my tablet well and will hold my laptop instead if I choose so that works.

The internal mesh pouch, as I have it packed, is ugly and jingly. I don't want to add a lot of organizational pouches as that increases weight and decreases expedient retrieval of items. I'm thinking about getting the Goruck tough clutch or whatever it's called for this purpose? Why? Because the rest of it is Goruck. But a pouch in a pocket in a bag is stupid to me.

I was able to employ one of the 25% off ID discounts, which I set up specifically for this purchase, and so I also bought the external bottle holder that I likely won't use and may send back. I'm thinking about getting a simple side pouch for reasons I can't be sure of. It is mainly a mate for the bottle holder. I also bought the sternum strap for the Constellation event.

What I ABSOLUTELY LOVE is the padded GR1 field pocket. It's awesome to use Jason from Goruck's words. It holds a lot of crap discreetly, securely, quietly, and without the dreaded organizer bulge all while not spilling everything out when I open it. That's cool, and I love how it fits in the backpack...excuse me, ruck.

My love/hate 5.11 med kit happens to be of similar depth as the above and fits really well in the bottom of the ruck beside the field pocket. This is a rather new addition to my EDC that may end up being jettisoned.

The internal PALS webbing at the top, interior actually found purpose. On the outer edges of the PALS I attached, upside down, my Leatherman Wave in it's LM MOLLE pouch and the cheap MOLLE-like pouch that came with my Streamlight Protac 2L. In the center I clipped my small Fox pepper spray I began carrying several months ago.

What I DETEST is the Cordura on the inside portions of the shoulder straps. It's really abrasive, and I've been contemplating some type of smoother (read: reduced friction) lining or sleeve I can use without being noticeable. I was wearing a cotton poplin Oxford shirt with a cotton t-shirt underneath, my daily choice in shirts year round, and the ruck straps really pushed down on and rubbed the seams on the trapezius area of my under shirt. It was uncomfortable and would yield raw skin with continued wear. For EDC this is a no go.

Solutions????????????????

I'm actually considering going for my morning run tomorrow with the bag sans tablet. My UnderArmour running shirts don't have top seams.

I'd like to have some of the zippered pouches Goruck no longer manufactures.