1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I just had a scary moment ...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by enki_ck, Nov 26, 2012.

1. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I was changing my 47s Quark from an AA to a CR123 body and tried turning it on. Nothing. [​IMG] I opened it up and realized I put the RCR123 in it the wrong way around. :frantic: I turned the battery around and tried again. Nothing. DID I JUST FRY MY LIGHT?!? Can't be. The Quarks have reverse polarity protection, right? Why it it not working then? I think I might have smelt something burnt but it may have been my mind playing tricks on me. [​IMG] I had to go out and couldn't play with it more at that point. But I was worried and was looking on my phone for how much a spare tactical head went for theses days. ($39 [​IMG]) When I got back home I tried it again, nothing. I tried it with the AA body and WE HAVE LIGHT. :D AAx2 body also working. But when I tried it with the CR123 body again nothing. :( I tried changing batteries. Then back to AA. After another few assemble/disassemble attempts it started working on an CR123 body. [​IMG]

But I still don't understand what happened. Why was it dead on a CR123? Did anyone have this happen to him/her?

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Sounds like something is not making contact with the 123 body.

3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

There're a few things that might cause it:

- contaminant on the tube edges so it can't make contact at the clicky end.
    - pocket clip retaining ring not tightened down preventing the same (although not with the 123 body it has no clip)
    - battery button top too wide or too flat (have you tried other 123 batts?)
    - threads on tube not cut far enough (on an Eagletac I had, the last mm or so of threads needed to force cut by twisting hard 20x so that it go into tight bezel turbo mode).
    - course, just general thread clean and lube stuff.

Glad to hear you didn't waste your light.

enki_ck likes this.
  4. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

It's working now. No problems anymore. I just don't understand what happened. I've been using this light with the RCR123 for a couple of months now. I just changed it to AA for a few days. I've had it for almost 3 years and would hate to lose it cause of a dumb mishap.

5. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

That's an odd one... glad you got it going again.

enki_ck likes this.
  6. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

That's odd because I went to use my 4 sevens 2xcr123 light last night and it wouldn't go into the lower modes when you twist the head, no light at all. I had mine set to high/ turbo and had light but when I lossened the head a turn for the lower setting nothing. Like you I took it apart and cleaned everything then back together and nothing the first time but on the second try it worked again. Must be those Flashlight Gremlins.

7. MDCCLXXVI

MDCCLXXVI Loaded Pockets

I had a problem with a Quark Pro QPA that caused me to return it.

Here is how I finally made it work:

Really crank the tailcap on. Don't use machines or pliers, but just twist the tailcap on TIGHT.

Then try it.

HorseFilms likes this.