1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I just got a Fenix E01 - Disappointed

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Andy Wayne, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

I just ordered and received a Fenix E01 from 4sevens. They had great service and shipped very quickly. I got the E01 as a Xmas gift for my cousin, as I couldn't afford to get her a LD01 like mine. :broke: Since the lumens were rated the same as the LD01 on low, I thought it would be same, just with one (lower) brightness level. However, as soon as I turned it on to try it out I was disappointed. The light from it is noticeably blue. My LD01 has a nice white light, I assumed it would be the same. Did I get a defective one, or are they all like this? I've had cheaper LED lights that were more white light than this.

:mad:

2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine has a noticeably blue twinge as well - the E01s are cheap with an absurd run time, but their one appreciable drawback is the color of the light.

To my mind, it still works very nicely as a keychain and emergency light for those situations where you don't really care about the color of the light as long as you have a light.

-Trevor

3. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I have about 3 or 4 E01s, and just ordered another. I have never noticed the tint, but thats not to say they are not blue. For $13 or $15, they are quiet a value. And flat regulated for 8 hours or so before getting diminishing light. Maybe tell cousin it is an expensive HID light with a blue tint like they have on expensive automobiles. :)

4. ddashner

ddashner Loaded Pockets

I've got one and so does the wife. Both of them are blueish. That being said I am still very happy with them for the price.

5. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

They are generally blue-ish or purple-ish. It is not the same LED as the LD01 (very different one in fact), so it's not fair to expect them to look the same. The E01 is a very useful and durable light if you don't get hung up on beam tint or beam shape.

6. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

The EO1 is an amazing light for the price.

The biggest benefit is the run time ... including the sunset mode 21 hours.

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

No, you didn't get a defective one. The angry-blue tint is common as dirt on the E01 model.

Don't think of it as a LD01 with just low-mode. Best to think of it as an improvement over the Maglite Solitaire. I've found the E01 to be durable and reliable. Excellent runtime with a AAA lithium cell.

8. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I will keep my Angel-c it is the size of my index finger and 200 lumens

9. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

The bluish/purple beam is common on the Fenix E01. Even the older E0 has the same blue tint.

To the OP, if you are

Considering a LD01 costs about ~$45 and the Angel C (CR123) and Angel A (AA) are $65 & $90 respectively I'd say try for a ITP A3 EOS (aka CC Maratac AAA) for about $25

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Wolf-Eyes Angel C rechargeable is a nice light. Short, but thicker than a AAA light. Bit more expensive than an E01. For more money, the LD01 or older L0D is a good choice. My rare L0D rebel 80 is always with me.

11. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

I bought two of these last year. One of them quit working when a battery started leaking. I tried to clean it up, but that didn't help. They both had bluish purple tints, but were great little lights.

12. silver x0ne

silver x0ne Empty Pockets

IMHO the E01 is pretty much worthless except for emergency situations (survival really...). I purchased some other lights from 4servens last year I believe and I got 2 free E01s with my order... that is the only reason I have them. It does have a slightly blue tint but nothing horrible. The light works great in pitch darkness but any light around and it doesn't work much at all. I think the reason it doesn't perform the same as a like lumen flashlight is because of its size and reflector. If you modded the reflector you might get better performance.

13. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I don't think that's quite fair. It has plenty of light for close-up work. Easily enough to read by, or find a key hole at night, or to look inside a computer case or whatever. Depends what you use your lights for. The E01 may not impress your friends, but it's certainly not worthless.

14. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Even now I still see people walking around with incan Mag Solitaire and AA. Both put out about the same or less than the E01, they aren't that bright and use batteries faily quickly but people still choose them. The point is, when you need a light, its better to have one that works and to some people a light is a light no matter how bright or dim.

15. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The E01 is a bit on the blue side but the runtime is absolutely phenomenal and a fantastic light for the gift-giving seasons. Hopefully it also teaches preparedness to the recipients.

16. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

It has been said a million times already - but for 12$, this isn't as big a disappointment as some would make it out to be. Compared to other AAA lights nowadays it can be comparably dim, or blue tinted, but for 12$ it's great. Not to mention the run time, which, as carrot said is no less than phenomenal.

17. silver x0ne

silver x0ne Empty Pockets

I guess I would be contradicting myself if I told you I had one on each of my keychains then wouldn't I? Thats pretty much what I use mine for though I carry a Fenix P3D and TK11 on a daily basis; I must be spoiled... not to mention that they were free.

18. JeffLrrp

JeffLrrp Empty Pockets

Not true. My E01 is my daily carry light, and I have found it more than enough to navigate a darkened space at night, walk along a forest trail, inspect things in (and outside of) my car at night, and as some have said, for close up work. Don't get me wrong, I love whiz-bang tactical type flashlights (I have a whole stable of Surefires to that effect), but the cost ($15 shipped), runtime (12-14 hours regulated runtime on a lithium AAA, followed by a long moon mode), and durability/simplicity of the little E01 continually amaze me. I want a few more, actually.

Plus, I have found that the purplish/blue center beam with the green corona that the E01 gives off is quite suitable unless youre looking at a white wall.

I love mine :woohoo:

19. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

Ok, thanks guys.

20. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

My E01 was way blue as well. This may not bother a lot of people but if you are used to higher end lights with beautiful white beams then it is a bummer. I finally ditched mine in favor of a Photon and occasionaly a Peak Matterhorn with three high power LEDs. I realze the E01 has great run time but to be honest I could care less. I am home daily so battery changes are not a problem. Unless the run time was rediculously short I will always trade performance for runtime.