1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I just can't convert to bag carry...

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by russtang, Apr 9, 2012.

1. russtang

russtang Loaded Pockets

I guess I am just a creature of habit. I wear cargo pants/shorts 90%+ of the time and have always carried my edc gear in pockets. I have tried a versipack and a 5.11 PUSH pack along with a couple of other generic bags, and I just can't seem to like using them.
    I do have a get home bag, but I'm talking edc gear bag.

I can carry everything I want in my pockets, so maybe in the back of my mind I don't think I 'need' a bag. I would probably carry more stuff If I had a bag just because I could, but I just don'tfeel comfortable with one yet.

The main reason I wanted to change to a bag was to see if it would be easier/better carrying a handgun.

I guess I just want to see if you have always carried a pack or bag, or do you always carry what you need in your pockets, or do most use a combination of both depending on situation.
    Is your bag work specific, or do you have a work bag and a edc bag?

2. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I use a layered approach, with a very basic true EDC kit in my pockets (flashlight, multitool, keys, phone, wallet, pen(s)) and various task specific bags.

I don't carry an EDC bag anymore, but I had one when I commuted by train. Now I work as a freelance journalist, mostly out of home when I'm not on some sort of reportage trip. I switch between two work specific bags when I need them; a laptop bag for when I write or do research away from home, and a camera bag for reportage jobs.

3. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

I carry my bag two days a week. And those two days are the days I go into work. I work from home the other three and don't need to carry a bag when I go out. I use to carry a bag when my son was younger and I needed all the diapers and other diaper related paraphernalia, but now that he's older I don't need all that stuff. As such I felt that carrying a bag was overkill for me. I like all that things I have in my bag (which is a Maxpedition Typhoon II) but I find it more annoying than useful.

4. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

My policy is to carry a bag only if I want to carry more stuff than I can comfortably carry without the bag. So I have my core EDC items on my person, and the factor that usually determines whether I carry a bag is if I want to bring water. If so, then the bag, along with all its additional contents, goes too. I carry my handgun IWB and, like most, I wouldn't recommend bag carry of a weapon, for all the obvious reasons: slow draw, could be stolen, could be forgotten or put down somewhere, you have less control of it, etc. It's much more likely I'd be separated from my bag than my pants, hence the most important items (keys, wallet, GUN, knife, flashlight, phone) are in my pants.

xtrajack likes this.
  5. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

I hated bags of any kind always a pocket guy but modern times phones,more keys then EDC in out grew my pockets,I got extra pockets in my coat but it just dint feel right.

Tried loads of bags never seemed right,carried on till in felt right which for me was the almighty underated Remora.
    Now its Remora summer light carry.Rush 12 at other times.

For me some of it was mental the idea and feel of bag carry that wasnt right,now its the norm.
    There was an adjustment period but i stuck with it,as i wanted to carry certain things but just became too much stuff in pockets.

6. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

All of that reading and doing over the years has made you a solid tactician. I am proud of you.

The off-body carry of a handgun is absolutely NOT the thing to do. If you want to carry a secondary or tertiary handgun there, that's fine. But having your primary defensive handgun in the very thing you might be fighting to control is a moving platform that you might not every regain control of before a quick tweaker stabs you to death over it or three teenagers stomp your guts out for...so... Some would then say, "well, then you would give them the bag!" Uh...then you are arming them better. Best to do as you do, on your person. If someone wants to utilize the carry potential of some of these Maxpedition packs or messenger bags and stuff, that's good, too. But the primary should stay on-body for the really serious folks.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  7. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I keep my weapon in my pants too. ba doom ba

Like sungame, I keep the essentials on me (knife, MT, flashlight, phone, wallet) and a BoB in my truck. I don't feel the need to carry any type of bag on me during the day.

8. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

I have a very low tolerance for being comfortable with anything in my front or back pockets so unless I'm wearing something with cargo pockets my gear has to be in my hand or in a bag. When the kids were younger I was used to carrying a bag for their needs, diapers, etc and I quickly became addicted to being able to carry just a few extra things as well as having the space to stuff things into throughout the day.

re. the debate about CCW bag carry - on body is obviously the ideal but is often not possible for many reasons. A gun in a bag is much more accessible than a gun in the car or in the gun safe at home.

9. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I carry concealed in my Maxpedition Mongo, and I carry that when on walks around the neighborhood or on nature kikes. I keep food and water in it as well as a sling shot and FAK. I have a mini EDC kit in my wallet w/ fire starting rod (gob spark) and lock picks (they work great for cleaning my fingernails too). I seem to overpack my Mongo w/ all sorts of stuff, looking to refine my setup and maybe converty to a back pack that's less Merc in appearance.

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

When I drove regularly, I either kept my "stuff" in the truck or in a bag hidden in the truck. Now that I'm taking public transit or the shoe leather express everywhere, I haul a bag.

School stuff, water, wet bag, book, snacks, boo-boo kit, hand sanitizer, etc. Things that make a "mobile lifestyle" more practical.

EtA: I use a Jansport Equinox - plenty of space for casual use without drawing attention. And if push comes to shove, I have cordage and carabiners.

11. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

12. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

orginaly, other than going to work i never wanted or could even think about carrying a bag with me.
    years ago i started using a backpack going to work because i was bring my lunch, and found it to be great when i needed a jacket early in the day but later in the day. i liked how everything was in one place and so handy when needed.

but there were times i didnt need a bag thats backpack size. i liked not having to have alot of things in my pockets too. so i add a lunada for lighter and less carry. now i hate to be with out one of my bags

it just grows on you

13. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

If you can't convert, then you must acquit! Err, wrong line.

If you don't convert, then you can't be assimilated! Opps, wrong again.

Convert or... DIE! Err, naw not really.

I carry a bag on walks, hikes, trips around the city with the family, car trips (short and long). The size of bag and contents varies considerable depending on the activity. Pockets are no substitute for such situations.

90% of the time (or more) it's just me an my pockets. But then, I'm usually close to my car, and my car is well stocked.

14. russtang

russtang Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the 'off body' carry is one thing that I am not really comfortable with. But in some situations it may be ok.

15. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

I say, whatever 'works', works! No need conform if it doesn't work for you.
    However, I do suggest considering a rolly-polly/dump pouch in your pockets (or belt) might be useful in case your pockets are full.

Even with a Rush 24 (nope, not EDC but more of a weekend thing), I slip one of those large IKEA blue sacks, just in case. Pulled that out in more than one occasion...

16. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Great idea! On a similar note, I keep a Sea to Summit ultra-sil daypack in my small shoulder bag. It takes up less bag space than a tennis ball when packed, and yet it's an OKish daypack when unpacked. It's a lot smaller than the IKEA bags, of course, but also a lot more comfortable to carry.

Prætorian ® likes this.
  17. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Yea, i picked up a ultra-sil sling and the dry sack variant of that daypack the other day. The sling is easy to compress, the dry daypack much less so. This thanks to the way one close the daypack, a couple of stiff rubber bands that one roll the top of the bag around. Said bands also makes air stay inside the daypack when trying to pack it up before stuffing it into the compression bag.

Btw, i keep playing around with all kinds of unorthodox carry solutions. This including Civilian Labs and Urbantool holsters.

18. knurek

knurek Loaded Pockets

I, too, am very uncomfortable with carrying a lot of items in my front pockets and cargo pants are out for my workplace. I started carrying an EDC bag about 18 months ago and find that I rely on its contents every day. While I do not yet conceal carry, the need to have a place for my wallet, glasses, mini FAK, water, and extras is way too great for me to go without an EDC bag.

I do keep my knife in or clipped to my pocket at all times and also have a larger, more detailed "go bag" stashed in both vehicles. My wife can call it every variation of a "man purse" all she wants - I'm dedicated to an EDC bag.

19. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Depends on the situation for me.

-My base level EDC is split between my keys & wallet, phone and whichever knife or Leatherman I'm in the mood for, and this gear is on my person 99% of the time. Only the sharps are non TSA friendly, I am super happy with my Key/Wallet combo :)
    -For my work bag I carry a CC XL Bail Out Bag for papers, my lunch, tools, glasses, etc. and I admit I have become attached enough to it to take on weekend trips now. It's just become a handy place to keep all those little goodies that I want on a regular basis, but I still don't consider it EDC. PS, been carrying this bag almost daily for 3 or 4 years now and it's holding up like a champ!

-As I think about it I guess there a 3 times when I most often want to use a carry bag:
    1. When I need to carry stuff that wont comfortably fit in my pockets, ie. Rain Gear, Snacks, Kids' stuff
    2. When I don't want stuff in my pockets at all, Work, Beach, Boat, Travelling
    3. When I'm afraid I might lose something out of my pockets, at the Movies, Disney