1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I have come to the conclusion

Discussion in 'Knives' started by plumberroy, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

That sound you just heard is my face hitting the palm of my hand... BLF. Duh! :). (I actually have a bookmark for the site; just don't visit it often!)

I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker which is fairly easy to use. I've seen comments on line that it can be used for sharpening M390; just not with the standard stones/rods...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

2. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Quite alright -- so many initials floating around these days. ;) Yes, that's an important point -- the m390 steel requires a special honing or sharpening rod, not standard ones. Getting that angle right can be tricky. Takes a lot of practice. I've been flicking some cheaper kitchen knives on my honing rod to help develop a consistent angle.

3. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have to remind myself that not everyone was taught to sharpen a knife like I was. My dad began teaching me to sharpen when I was about 8 . I am fast approaching 50 years of sharpening knives. As a guide for correct angles I was taught that a dime under the back edge of average size blade was about the angle to sharpen. And to adjust accordingly to blade size. For the few super steel knives that I have I use a cheap harbor freight 4 sided diamond block. There are a lot of things I was taught to do at a young age that most people wouldn't have any idea. Guess it was because my parents are old school hillbillies who grew up during the great depression

Moshe ben David and EMarkM like this.
  4. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Roy, I came otthat same conclusion many years ago. That led to a huge down sizing of my knife and gun accumulation. I sold off all my high end and customs like my Randall's and others, and gave away the normal production stuff. Now I carry just one of my three Victorinox SAK's, and a small friction folder like a Japanese higonokami, Sardinian resolza, or a number 5 Opinel. Very often my EDC pocket knives are the Victorinox and the number 5 Opinel. If I need a fixed blade, my mora or old Buck 102 woodsman will be on my belt.

Moshe ben David likes this.