1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I have come to the conclusion

Discussion in 'Knives' started by plumberroy, Nov 5, 2019.

1. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have 60ish knives there have been many more through my hands over the years. I have 4 knives that I carry, for work I carry a Benchmade mini griptillion. Decent knife but I have issues with it . Outside of work my using knives are a SAK Walker ($17)or Mora Eldris ($25) in my pocket. For a
    general purpose fixed blade I use a Mora Kansbol ($34) I have many , more expensive knives that are in a basket on my dresser collecting dust . Not trying to diss more expensive or custom knives. For my needs these 3 fairly inexpensive knives work better than anything else I have tried

2. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Of all my knives the Mora Garberg carbon at $47.00 is my most used aside from an antique Benchmade Al Mar automatic.

Moose, plumberroy and A.B. like this.
  3. TankTop5

TankTop5 Loaded Pockets

A Leek and an ESEE 4, but the Leek was recently replaced with a BM Barrage as my new career path is a bit more demanding on tools. I will admit I’ve carried the Leek for several years daily and used it harder than I thought I should and it’s held it’s edge better than anything I’ve ever owned. I know the steel isn’t anything amazing, perhaps just the geometry of the edge. That said the a barrage is used to pry and twist, something I’d never use the Leek for. The ESEE 4 is just a big block of 1095 steel, I think in the back of my mind it carries the same warranty Craftsman used too... if it breaks it breaks, they’ll replace it. Also that said, hit it with honing steel and occasionally a light sharpening is all it needs. It’s sexier now than when I first bought it!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plumberroy, Moshe ben David and A.B. like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Same here. Got a lot of knives. Keep buying them, keep selling them. The one knife I always carry is a simple companion.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

plumberroy and garza like this.
  5. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

My EDC for quite a while now is the Manly Wasp. I got mine for fifty bucks.
    I did not like the two handed opening and the nail nick. I liked that it fitted my hands like it was made for them. I liked how the clip has it sitting perfectly in my pocket. I liked that the blade is S90V and I'll have to sharpen it thrice a year.
    And I like that it's a knife that costs fifty bucks. I feel like I've already got fifty bucks worth out of this one. It has collected some battle scars - some pretty and some not so much. I can use this one as the tool it was intended to be. Until one of us gives out or I loose it.
    It's easily replaced.
    My Spyderco Urban (the one I had fitted with custom scales and all the metal parts were stonewashed, which cost me a small fortune) brought tears to my eyes when I inserted the tip below a splinter of wood jammed in a hole, applied soft pressure and snapped the blade.
    When I chipped the edge on the Wasp because i used it as a screwdriver, my feelings were quite neutral. I just took a look at the nick and decided that it'll buff right out the next time I grind it - and should that not be the case, I'll just put this one into the tool shed and get me another one.

Moose, plumberroy, Busmech and 3 others like this.
  6. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

What one prefer to carry for work is not always the knife you prefer.
    In one of my previous jobs I travelled a lot and had to make do with the tools I had with me. That meant that my knife might had to double as a pry bar, paint scraper etc. My luggage was also lost multiple times and knives were sometimes confiscated. I used the blades on my Leatherman multitools for all of that. Not the cheapest, but not so expensive that my employer would hesitate to replace my beat up or lost tools on a regular basis. Now, personally I might have preferred a Sebenza (although I wasn't a knife nerd at the time, and didn't know of the Sebenza or any other expensive folders), but that would not have made any sense. If I was using my own tools, I'd probably gone even cheaper than the leathermans.
    Today the situation is much different, although I have the same employer. I work in an office where I mostly need to open boxes, cut some cable ties, cut through cable insulation and such. I also carry a prytool and any tool I might need is just a short walk away. Even though I still have a handful of leathermans supplied by my employer, I prefer to carry my own knife. Just because it's a better knife, has better handling, is easier to carry and I know that I only need to use it for the tasks it is suited to do.

7. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Delica 4 for about a year now.
    I have a "bunch more knives" stored away that I take out and look at every once in a while.

plumberroy and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

I too have had several knives that were a bit pricey (for me) and they are all gone now.
    My Executive has not let me down and don't expect it to. In my pocket whenever I leave the house and on the stand next to my recliner.
    [​IMG]

9. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Edc folders. Chris reeve , spyderco manix2, three rivers manufacturing neutron.
    Woods knifes esee jg5 or a pr4. They worked a hundred years ago ,still do .
    On my key ring a victorinox swiss lite for 23 years

10. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

The Manly Wasp is great. The S90V is incredibly sharp and G10 it feels like a tool. The admiration comes through practical use rather than aesthetic beauty. This is the opposite to many of the smaller Spydercos I have where they are attractive, incredibly well-made but they are something that won't get thrown in a tool box; nor left in the boat glove compartment; nor used to whittle for fun.

I hate to think of myself as a collector, as I see such a pursuit as somewhat strange - unless the objects are practical items that get at least some use. If I start getting precious about something I acquired, it triggers feelings of remorse: not about the cost but about my motivation and where the real value lies as I don't use a knife for work.

A recent comparison is the Kwaiken Mini which is a thin elegant knife but has experienced almost zero use or carry; contrasted with a Cold Steel Voyager which is rugged, thick and simple. Over the last six months in renovating a new house the Voyager has been the tool selected for almost everything, from navigating a flatpack nightmare through to buttering bread.

My conclusion: Buy things to use no matter what you spend on it.* If you end up with a cabinet full of exhibits, they won't bring you joy.

tbzbbt

* I know people that get extremely precious about scratching their new car to the extent where they never use it. A recent (superficial) scrape in my new Landcruiser actually offered relief as it means I can use it for its (offroad, beach and boat-towing) intended purpose without getting hung-up on risking further paintwork scratches.

11. aicolainen

I haven't tried the Manly Wasp, but it seems to get less attention than it deserves from the community. I have too many already, but wouldn't mind giving it a try if I was less equipped.

12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Sounds like everyone of us has to many knives.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

xevious, Moshe ben David and Lateck like this.
  13. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Well, as long as you consider yourself a collector and you can afford the cost, there's nothing wrong with maintaining a collection.

I think the beauty of the Wasp is the utility factor. Design means form follows function.
    This knife is one of the few that I bought in a shop. I'd never have taken it into account through the many internet channels.
    The things that convinced me were how well it felt, how well the clip works inside my pocket and how the blade joins just the right amount of curve, length and thickness. It balances so many of the truly important factors so well that it first made it into my rotation and then eliminated the competition. A knife that is too precious to be used for the dirty aspects of knife jobs is only part knife and part ornament.

Lateck and A.B. like this.
  14. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

Last new truck I bought, as soon as paper work was signed . I dropped the tailgate and scratched a place in the bed it was going to get scratched sooner or later if I did it I couldn't blame someone else

Lateck likes this.
  15. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I'm not a knife collector. Got my first serious $100+ knife back in 2007, a SOG X-Ray Vision ATS-34 (it was new w/o box, got it for $80). Worked so well, I bought another one slightly used for a great discount (keep it as a spare). Then in 2012, got a SOG Vulcan Tanto ATS-34 san mai blade for $90. I've babied the Vulcan, so the X-Ray Vision gets the most use on punishing jobs. No deficiencies or complaints. I picked up a few cheap Chinese knives under $10 over a few years after that, then stopped. It wasn't until recently that I became aware of the "knife boom". Never thought there would be higher end Chinese made knives. Or from Russia for that matter (Shirogorov). Spent about 8 hours over the past week wandering around knife sites & forums... and it's just so bewildering. So many designs, materials, quality choices. I understand why some people make this a hobby. It's fascinating!

I've seen so many knives I'd love to buy, but I also realize that I absolutely don't need them. As long as a cheap knife has a sharp blade, it works. So what if it has to be sharpened more often? For odd job EDC duty, any 8Cr13Mov knife will do. I'd like to own one really nice quality high end knife someday, but I'm going to wait it out. I'd rather buy a lightly used one for a good discount rather than pay full price for a new one.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  16. aicolainen

@xevious , from your post one might get the impression you are a somewhat new member. However that proved to be very far from reality. Either way, your approach to knife buying seems very thought through and sensible.
    I think it's very possible to enjoy knife collecting without spending an unreasonable amount of money. You just have to make roadmap, set a pace and stick to it. Don't get caught up in the rat race. Sprint runs, limited editions and fear of missing out can really kill your wallet and your enjoyment if you let it get out of hand.
    I struggle sometimes myself, and my roadmap gets adjusted as my taste and knowledge evolves, but I learn from my mistakes and they all contribute to my knowledge, which has a value in it self.

xevious, Moshe ben David and A.B. like this.
  17. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

You're absolutely right about the road map. Very good idea to formulate a deliberate plan and stick with it. Yeah, I'm a bit of a newbie in the sense that I've not explored much about knife characteristics until just recently. :oops: It was a real eye opener to learn about steel types, and how "better" is so very subjective & context dependent. I have to wonder how many people have gone out and bought an m390 blade because of the "steel status," only to find themselves at a loss when it comes to sharpening. :eek: I was tempted to get a Kershaw Knockout m390 for $85 USD. Seemed like a killer deal. But for now, no way. I'm just not equipped & knowledgeable enough to deal with that steel. S35VN is about the limit... and that may even push it a bit. I've learned a lot from folks here on EDCForums and on a few others (BladeForums & BLF). By restraining myself, I've avoided a few mistakes.

So yeah, what I'm doing now is keeping a Word document with specs & pics for my "wish list" knives. And later when I've got more disposable cash for another knife, I'll try to make a decision. That's my map for the moment. ;)

18. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I agree. There are very few situations where a knife over $100 will do the job better than a cheaper knife. I see the appeal of having a nice knife but it won't do the job any better. If anything, I'd worry about scratching or breaking it.

The way I see it is that knives are like cars. A Lamborghini looks better and might be more pleasant to drive than a Ford but they'll both get you where you're going. A Sebenza might look better and feel better than a Mora, but they'll both cut.

19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Like your point of view @xevious! For the most part I've also avoided the higher end steels due to sharpening concerns. Besides, I'm not a really 'heavy duty' user.... Although I do have one knife with M390... should be 'interesting' when I finally have to sharpen it!

Q: which website is 'BLF'? I don't know that one....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

xevious likes this.
  20. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Thanks, Moshe. :) Yes, from what I gather it's probably a good idea to frequently hone the m390 blade, if you put it to use a lot. That way you put off a full sharpening for a long time. I haven't looked into those sharpening systems, like KME. Expensive. But I imagine there must be lower cost ones that do a pretty good job. I use a honing rod on my knives periodically. Haven't yet gotten to the point of needing to strip away metal to restore an edge. I have watched a few of those YT videos with people applying blades to wet sharpening stones of various grades. It does look like much practice & knowledge is needed to do it right. One of these days... ;)

BLF = Budget Light Forum. Very little in the way of knife talk, but there are some knife collectors there who I've learned from.