1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I have a lighter problem

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by KB3UBW, Mar 21, 2013.

1. BMurphysLaw

BMurphysLaw Loaded Pockets

Check out some DuPont style soft flame lighters. I have one with "Monarch" on it, had it for years never had an issue with it.

2. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Therein lies the problem. Wish I'd discovered 'em back when they were cheap. Now that I've got a few, though, they're still worth what I paid. Remarkable pieces of engineering.

3. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Thoughts on a Zippo with a thunderbird insert?

4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I like that setup. You can choose from torch or (as you preferred) the soft flame. Your fuel doesn't evaporate or anything 'cause it's a butane chamber thingie. :) I have 1 and then I have some Zippo (and generic) cases that I use to switch out so that it matches my clothes for the day. ;)

The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't play with the clicky lid as I normally would because it would "turn on" the thing and let the butane gas escape.

thatotherguy and AK Adventurer like this.
  5. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Yeah, what she said ^^^^^^

If your trying to keep cost down, there is a guy in the B/S/T forum now with a few used( and one new, as I recall) Zippos for sale cheap.

You can probably still play with the lid just as much... I'd bet that it only loosing gas a little tiny bit flipping open and closed fast, it'll still take a LOT longer to go dry than a Zippo does evaporating off at all times. Thats my theory anyway... ;)

Myth90045 and mooshi like this.
  6. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

My Thunderbird insert seems to run out fast. Maybe I'm not getting it all the way full? I really like my slim zippo and keep it topped off (there is always a Bic around though;)).

7. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The standard zippo's are awesome for just being nice pieces - the satisfying noise and fell of using them and the fact they come in about a million different colours and designs to suit pretty much anyone. The fact that the fuel evaporates does make them pretty much useless for an occasional use item as it will be evaporating quicker than you can use it and end up useless in a couple of weeks.
    The solution to that is to buy your choice of zippo body, and pop in a thunderbird insert - a butane equivalent that will hold fuel pretty much indefinitely and works pretty much the same as a normal insert in use. I have one with a zippo style soft flame, and they are available (the z-plus) as a jet lighter.
    I will admit I play with mine about as much as I did with a fuel one, and it still lasts longer even if I am letting some gas escape playing about...

As an alternative, the split pea style lighters work the same way as a traditional zippo insert, but because they screw shut and seal with an o ring the fuel doesn't escape. Small and convenient.

For sheer value it is also hard to beat a Bic - dirt cheap, readily available and seem to be more reliable than anything else out there. Not ideal in use, but cheap and simple.

AK Adventurer and mooshi like this.
  8. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I EDC a zippo and have for years. My current being one I got for my birthday from my fiance. I have a small bottle of fluid in my truck and a big one at home. If the fluid smell bothers you just cut it with a little alcohol and pressto... no more smell.

9. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

The imco's are still going for about £7 GBP new, with free shipping over here in the uk.

10. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, and did you see the "electric sparking for wet ignition" line?
    Ummm, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure cheap electronics don't work wet... feel free to prove me wrong if you have one of these.
    IMO a Bic would be a much better option. I carry a Zippo for the nostalgia, warranty, durability, windproofedness, looks, and the fact that it's still made in America. I do have at least three mini Bics and at least one ferro rod, tube of PJ cotton balls and a filled waterproof match case in my bag though.
    If you can't tell, I'm a bit of a pyro. :D

11. Mark Greenman
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Mark Greenman Loaded Pockets

Now all you need is a roadflare and some powdered magnesium :cool:

thatotherguy and evolutionglitch like this.
  12. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Got the road flare (not in my bag though) but no magnesium... Darnit. :D

Mark Greenman likes this.
  13. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I didn’t know IMCO went out of business :eek: but I wondered why there was a website with other stuff on their domain. I have two 6700s (one in use from time to time, one still in its blister), but would like to try a 6800 too. Hmmm …

14. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

I carry the ''mercedes'' of peanut lighter: http://goinggear.com/numyth-tohil-watertight-fluid-lighter.html

Never dry when I need it, solid, much more fuel than a regular peanut lighter, can stand as a candle, water and dust proof (oring sealed), excellent construction. It's not intended for frequent use but perfect for emergency or regular EDC gear.