1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I have a confession

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Southpaw, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

1) What popular brand(s)/item(s) that a lot of people like that just never appealed to you?

Montblanc pens. Day I was hired to be a pen salesman, I had no clue what all the fuss was about. As I progressed along at the job, I learned that Solitaires made from "precious resin" are cheap, thin, plastic pens that break far too easily. Yet folks drool over them and still aspire to own one.

2) What popular edc brand(s)/item(s) you thought you'd never buy, that you ended up buying and actually loving?

Just one. My "The Clip" from Little Bonsai. Not too impressed when it came out. Especially since it was marketed as a multi-tool of keychain danglers. Get past that hype, and it actually works great as a dangler and a bottle-opener. I became interested in getting one awhile back, but definitely quite a bit after the clip was discontinued at the end of its very first run I believe. I couldn't get my hands on a Monroe Dangler and I simply refuse to support the guys in China making the lower-priced one and profiting off of someone else's idea. So I started thinking about a good alternative. And "The Clip" fell out of my memory banks. I now have one, and am glad I do. Too bad Little Bonsai gave up on it so quickly.

3) What is that one item you've been wanting to get for a very long time but you just can't seem to pull the trigger? Why?

Nothing specific, but several different luxury watch models do come to mind. I'm very picky about what features I want on my watches. None that I've considered for a long time come close to being perfect. The closest one has three things wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. I thought it worked out with one model that was in the lead ... until I learned that it uses a big ugly plastic movement holder. No, I'm not shelling out thousands of dollars for that, along with two other issues that particular model is known to suffer from. With watches, it's not even about the money being the biggest issue. It's other things. Hopefully, I can pull the trigger soon.

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Plenty of love from me ... At least for the lights themselves. The company's odorous business practices? Not so much.

I have such a huge collection of lights from so many different brands at so many different price-points. But my SureFires can be counted on, no matter what.

KAMM likes this.
  3. Si_K
    • In Omnia Paratus

Si_K Loaded Pockets

1) What popular brand(s)/item(s) that a lot of people like that just never appealed to you?

Spyderco. I don't know what it is but when I browse they just fade into the background. Too many models with only slight variation, nothing really stands out by itself. Also my choices are limited as I'm from the UK. I've never been one to follow the crowd so usually end up buying something obscure.

2) What popular edc brand(s)/item(s) you thought you'd never buy, that you ended up buying and actually loving?

Not sure, only having limited funds I tend to read up a lot before buying so am usually predisposed to liking something before I get it.

3) What is that one item you've been wanting to get for a very long time but you just can't seem to pull the trigger? Why?

Spyderco see (1) above... Am swaying to the pingo because it isn't a UKPK...

4. 1. I have really never been able to get on the Alox sak bandwagon like so many do. I also don't have much love for Benchmade.
    I also can't seem to fall for a pliers bases multi-tool.
    2. Like a lot of you I like my Spyderco's way more than I ever imagined. I am also still surprised at how much I like and enjoy using Opinals and Moras.
    3.I am feeling pretty satisfied with what I have right now so I haven't been wanting much. If I were to pull the trigger on something tho it would probably be some sort of multi-tool. I want to like one and can see where carrying one makes sense. Just haven' found one that really does it for me.

5. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

Well,

1) crk knives - can't place exactly why but they've never appealed to me, plus a good deal out of my range.

2) Spyderco - bought an old rescue clipit decades ago.. Didn't like the handle material at all and being one molded piece turned me off. Then I received an ambitious on my first trade here and seeing a more traditional liner/scale setup I fell back in love with it. Same thing happened with Saks once I saw the alox it was all over.

3) well, two things.. A hinderer knife, love them but a bit out of my range.. Along with a Syph007 modded sak....

6. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

Here are my answers to the three questions of this thread.
    1. Atwood. To me those tools should be in a glass case for admiring like a collectible since there hard to find. I wouldn't want to carry it in fear of losing it, or having it stolen. So therefore it wouldn't be carried so if I needed it for something I would be out of luck.

2. Gerber Shard. When I first learned about the tool I thought what a waste of time. I figured I wouldn't need a tiny pry bar. Well ever since buying our second home and having to do minor repairs like varnishing the wood floors, etc i found this tool to be worth its weight. It has saved me time from trying to dig out a screwdriver to open cans of varnish to digging out a hammer to pry up a nail (I have a lot of tools packed into my tool bag and box).

3. The Pickpocket, and GITD key fob. I want one but I always seem to forget to order one when I have extra money. One day (hopefully soon) I will own one along with a GITD key fob.

warchild likes this.
  7. The British Are Coming

The British Are Coming Loaded Pockets

Things a lot of people seem to carry that I don't:
    Firestarters and water filters / purifiers. I just don't see myself ever needing them on the go. I live in a major urban area in a first world country.

Antibiotic ointment. I really don't like that stuff based on studies that show it is of little use preventing infection but linking it to MRSA and other antibiotic resistant bacteria.

8. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

1 - gshock plastic watches, gerber
    gerber - got friends with older models that've served them well for 15+ years....but I cant dig it. Leatherman man.
    gshock - its ugly as sin and tacky. nuff said.

2 - not so much a brand, but a 'thing'....non-loose fitting jeans. man, baggy jeans look like garbage.

3 - case cf lockback knife
    a new carbon fiber hockey stick
    a new computer for my street bike
    oh this list could go on and on...im a real hesitant buyer unless its vinyl records.

9. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

The Victorinox cadet: It's awesome looking and all, but I just can't see giving up scissors or a Phillips screw driver for a nail file.
    Fancy lighters: I will buy a fancy lighter as soon as they make one that is as reliable and trouble free as a regular ol' Bic lighter.

Field Notes notebooks: All that money for some paper? I always made due with random cheap notebooks and scraps of paper, but now that I have a field notes I really like it. The graph paper is perfect for me and I don't lose it like I do scraps of paper.

Great Eastern Cutlery Bullnose in orange: It's a beautiful knife I've wanted for at least a year, but every time I go to buy one something else comes up that I "need" more. I'm so happy with the knives I currently carry that its hard to pull the trigger on another one. One of these days...

Sharpshooter11000 and warchild like this.
  10. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

anything with the Axis lock or similar. too many little parts for my liking. I don't go in for little keychain tools either - I switched to a keyport to get away from little thingies poking holes in my pocket or jingling on my belt.

2) What popular edc brand(s)/item(s) you thought you'd never buy, that you ended up buying and actually loving? CRK sebenza. when i first saw it, I thought it was a nice looking knife, but didn't get the price. I looked at some reviews and came to appreciate that the price covers a quality product plus an awesome warranty, bought one, and it has been my favorite EDC knife since. it has spoiled me in a way. Now that i have tried a higher-end knife, I am less willing to go back to the lower end, and would rather collect fewer higher-end things than many lower-end things.

3) What is that one item you've been wanting to get for a very long time but you just can't seem to pull the trigger? Why? pelican case for knife/edc collection that has outgrown previous container. haven't pulled the trigger because its low priority and i'd rather get a new knife or flashlight or whatever when the money is in hand. Curtiss f3, protech flyflather, and a strider pt because the piggy bank isn't fat enough yet.

catfishdan likes this.
  11. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

(I know I'm gonna get ripped on). Spyderco. I handled a couple at a Bass Pro Shop and it seemed overpriced for a Made in China knife. I wound up buying a Buck Vantage.

Glock. Just never appealed to me. A friend made me a great deal on one so I bought it....I love it now.

Nice pellet/air rifle, why haven't I bought one yet? $$$

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Have to agree on both counts. I do have a Vic Farmer that I acquired in a trade. Though no intention to ever pocket-carry it. I bought a rare Forrest Green Vic Cadet back when Target had them as an exclusive. EDCed it for about 2 or 3 days at work before the weight just bothered me. Even after switching to different pockets. Went back to the plastic-handled SAKs after that. Alox is definitely more durable. But heavier. Plus, I never liked giving up the tweezers and toothpick.

Benchmade was once the greatest production knife company out there if you wanted a quality liner-lock that would put those made by some custom knifemakers to absolute shame. Then, overnight, Benchmade gave up on their liner-locks to focus completely on the Axis-lock. For some bizarre reason, the execs. at Benchmade fell in love with it. Lost me as a customer shortly after that.

warchild likes this.
  13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A significant number of Spyderco knives are actually made in America.

warchild likes this.