1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I have a confession

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Southpaw, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ok so I've been on a roll with thread making bc I've been on vaca and had a lot edc ideas on my mind but I will be back to work tmrw and back to spectator mode I go. Last one for the books.

Been wanting to ask these three questions for a long time but thought I'd get flamed for it, but here, i'd like to think this forum is laid back and casual enough of a community to share insights and knowledge, and also constructive opinions right? ;)

So my three questions are

1) What popular brand(s)/item(s) that a lot of people like that just never appealed to you?

2) What popular edc brand(s)/item(s) you thought you'd never buy, that you ended up buying and actually loving?

3) What is that one item you've been wanting to get for a very long time but you just can't seem to pull the trigger? Why?

Confession #1: (pls don't kill me lol) Suunto watches. They just never appealed to me. Maybe it's just too oversized/bulky, too tactical, and expensive idk. And the other is Atwood. Maybe it's the cheapo in me. The price per performance ratio just isn't there for me. They're great
    looking and seemed to be very well built. Almost like the CRK of tools in terms of quality & craftsmanship, but too dog gon expensive.

Confession #2: Spyderco knives. When I first saw them I thought they were the funkiest looking knives I've ever seen. they look like raptors. Lol maybe bc of the hole. They just looked goofy (and some still do! Hehe) but once I got a hold of a few, the ergos were actually surprising. They go really well in the hand and the hole was actually much easier and enjoyable to use than the usual lugs. And every Spyderco knife I've bought always came razor sharp. But to say the least, Sydercos are one of the most identifiable knives out there.

Confession #3: Spyderco Chaparral and Spyderco Delica. I have held the Delica once and fell in love with the ergos. Though not as best ergos as my para 2 but my small hands I believe fit perfectly for the compact size of the knife. I love the ffg blade and heard a million great reviews (not to mention in cuts like the dickens), but I'm not sure about the from handles and the lock back. But I sill want to get one but can't pull the trigger!

Kindly share!

2. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

CRK Folders, I handled one and while smooth and pretty, They are just to expensive and pretty. I just can't wrap my head around that much for a user.

CRKT Drifter and Folts Minimalist, I was a gear snob for a loooong time and coming here and seeing them and hearing good things, decided to buy both. All I can say is for those prices respectively, Wow! Just Wow!

I want a quality pocket light with a pocket clip. I'm sort of pinning down several brands, it seems like every time I really have an opportunity to buy one I either drag my feet and lose out or I don't have funds available enough or some such thing.

catfishdan, nightowl and Southpaw1925 like this.
  3. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

1) Boker blades. ICK.

2) Strider knives. I remember back when I first started getting into knives and when I looked them up I thought "those have got to be the ugliest knives I've ever seen" but they're amazing. :)

3) Nothing. :) I pull the trigger on everything. KAMM never waits. KAMM gets what she wants. ;)

scbubba, Legend, PBJS II and 9 others like this.
  4. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

KAMM, Good for you! I wish sometimes I would just "DO IT"!!

SAKplumber and nightowl like this.
  5. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

1) What popular brand(s)/item(s) that a lot of people like that just never appealed to you?
    Most packs, watches, many flashlights.

2) What popular edc brand(s)/item(s) you thought you'd never buy, that you ended up buying and actually loving?
    Spyderco Delica. *Really* hated the looks of them, but soooo many people said "get a Delica" that I said, what the heck, and got one. Best knife I own. Still funny looking, but who cares.

3) What is that one item you've been wanting to get for a very long time but you just can't seem to pull the trigger? Why?
    Concealable single-stack 9mm. Because I just really can't justify the expense right now, and with the silly gun panic since December, they're hard to find and priced at a premium.

warchild and nightowl like this.
  6. xnyne

xnyne Loaded Pockets

Well this thread could get very interesting, not sure I want to risk the alienation but here goes ;) :

1. Copper and brass (please don't kill me). I understand the patina effect appeal but they just don't make me go "I want". Also at a bit of a loss with Atwood for much the same reason as above. I love Ti anything so one day when cash is prevalent maybe, but for now I think they are on the pricey side for a tool (pry) that I rarely use.

2. Spyderco. I am/was the biggest benchmade fan but after "giving it a go" I was blown away by the value and usefulness of the spydies. Now they get more use than the BM's

3. A high end custom or semi custom folder. My grail is a left handed large sebbie and I missed the chance to get one a while back (very few and far between here). I'd love to get some other custom stuff but then always seem to get sidetracked. Should take a leaf out of KAMM's book!

nightowl and KAMM like this.
  7. VKX

VKX Loaded Pockets

8. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

1, CRK knives. I get the work that goes into them, I just don't like the look of any of them. Also, surefire lights. No idea why a light costs £300+ with an Incan bulb, where you could get a better one for less than a third of the price from another brand...

2, also spyderco. Hated the look of them when I first saw one years ago, but they are fantastic knives!

3, more guns. Just don't have the money!

nightowl likes this.
  9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

1. Benchmade. I do own a Morpho, but I can't stand any of their other knives. Awful designs! Wenger might be another one, for some reason I just like Vics much better.
    2. Hmm... the most recent one is the UKPK. I like Spydercos, but it just didn't interest me all that much. Then I got offered one at a good price and figured I'd give it a try, and it turned out to be a fantastic knife!
    3. Tom Bihn. I've had my eye on their bags for... dunno, a couple of years. Long before they became forum supporters. And I still don't have any.

Southpaw1925 likes this.
  10. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

1. Strider. The looks are starting to grow on me, but I can't get past the whole lying about military history thing.
    2. Emerson knives. I don't own one yet, but there is a very good chance a mini a100 will be my next knife.
    3. There are a billion things on this list for me, and most of them aren't even that expensive. I don't have a lot of expendable income, and EDC isn't my only hobby. So some things, even those as simple as an Opinel, have to wait til the proper time.

Remember, big brother is watching

WWW likes this.
  11. grids7

grids7 Loaded Pockets

Great questions!

Copper items. Surefire flashlights. Single-strap sling bags. Standard (non-Alox) SAKs.

Orange Delica. Unappealing not because of the Spyderconess or the Delica name, but because of the color. But, I like the knife so much I think that affinity is rubbing off even onto the color.

Atwood tools. They seem appealing, and I think if I had a little scraper, I'd use it enough. But I don't think I'd ever use it enough to justify multiple hundreds of $$$. And that's the route I'd have to take, as I perennially miss the sales on Atwood.

12. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

The high-end knives and Atwoods. Two of the big three-Hinderer, Strider and Chris Reeves- I do like (and I'm not gonna tell you which one I don't :p) but I just can't spend that kind of money...OK I could but I don't want to. Atwoods are nice but I'm not really into keychain items.

Spydercos. I never really liked them but when I saw the forum Native 5 moonglow I had to have it... and now I want more.

Fenix TK-70. I've wanted this "Superlight" since I first saw one, I just haven't gotten around to buying it yet. Things (good, bad and very stupid) just keep getting in the way.

13. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

Alox SAKs and Surefire flashlights (or the dozens of copycat, black aluminum "military-looking" lights). No appeal. At all.

Chris Reeve knives. When I first saw the Sebenza, I thought, "THAT is $350?" But then it grew on me and now I can't foresee selling my small Sebenza Insingo. Love it. I also never thought I'd EVER pay $500 for a titanium flashlight... HA! Now I own a few. The first time I handled a McGizmo I understood... and knew I'd be buying more. Many more.

Hinderer XM-18. I like the knife a lot but I like Hinderer business practices less and less. I can't justify (for now) paying the $700-$1000 dealers are selling them for. And I don't like that they allow dealers to gouge or that they force dealers to sell pens in order to get knives. Chris Reeve does it differently. You sell at the MSRP or you don't sell them at all. I'd rather pay that kind of money for a custom knife, like a Laconico Jasmine Flipper. That seems worth it. Gorgeous.

Also Atwoods. I have a couple that I bought two years ago (a Ti Whistle and a Ti G2 Keyton + a couple of lanslides), but the prices have gone to a crazy place now. Not worth it any more.

Southpaw1925 likes this.
  14. K1CKtheCHICKEN

K1CKtheCHICKEN Loaded Pockets

I agree with this. Never thought I'd get one, now I have a persistence and its my favorite EDC knife

Southpaw1925 likes this.
  15. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

High end knives. The CRK knives are nice looking, but not in my future. I can't justify a $400 knife to EDC. But, there is a couple ZTs I have been looking at. Maybe they will be a stepping stone to CRK and Striders.

The Kershaw Cryo. Looked at it. Read good reviews on it. Bought one and love it. Don't carry it every day, but it gets into the rotation fairly often. And the Spyderco Pingo is looking to be that way, also. Never thought I would like a slip joint single blade when the majority of my EDC knives are locking or multiple blades like a SAK.

The ESEE Candiru. Keep eyeballing them and just haven't taken the plunge. I have a few fixed blades around and I make a few here and there. But, the little Candiru is slowly tempting me more and more.

On the topic of Spyderco, they were the first lockback I bought myself 20+ years ago. The original Delica. I think it was the first model. I bought two within weeks of each other. Gave one to a really good friend and dad "borrowed" and lost the other.

16. Sharpshooter11000

Sharpshooter11000 Loaded Pockets

1) SureFire lights. Yeah, I get that they're well made but CREEs should be standard, sure incan was the best technology... 10 years ago. Then there's the fact that there are dozens of lights that are just as good or better, but at a fraction of the price.
    Also, single strap bags. I find them uncomfortable and feel as if its a woman's handbag...

2) Alox SAKs, I thought they looked funny, but after looking on the Alox thread I decided to give them a try, now I'd never consider buying another Cellidor SAK! They look a lot classier, and they're more durable.

3) Something Titanium, but I just haven't had then need (or money) to warrant buying something like a Daniel Fairly knife or custom flashlight. I might just get something small, something with a Tritium vial (something I also haven't yet bought) :)

Also, I don't understand the need for a prybar, though I still carry mine :p I think I've used it once in half a year of carrying it!

grids7 likes this.
  17. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

1: Surefire lights. CRK/Hinderer/Strider etc. knives

2: I also have extremely limited funds so I haven't really tried other things. Have one China copy of a Spyderco Native and when it's open it feels very good. It's also VERY sharp. But it is rough as a cob to open and close and has an oversize pivot hole that allows blade movement. Also it is ground like an original Native and I've grown to very much like flat grinds!

3: Again low funds. There are some things I wish to have but probably never will.

18. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

:censored: no love for surefire. Goodness

19. mwoj

mwoj Loaded Pockets

1. Boker Gnome and small fixed blades in general. Also, Atwoods because they cost so much for a little piece of metal

2. Well I haven't really bought one I just had one that I didn't use - Wharncliffe/Sheepsfoot blades. they always seemed stupid looking to me, it looked like the balde was upside down almost. I realized that they are more effective because you get "more knife" by utilizing the full length of the blade, where as some knives I rarely use the curved part of the blade leading up to the tip.

3. A lot of things, but mostly a Case Medium Stockman. I just can't afford a new knife now, I'm saving all of the money I can

20. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

1. Most gun forums are obsessed with Surefire lights. This forum seems to have much more variety in flashlight purchases. I don't hate surefire, I just like to see variety.
    2. I wanted to hate Glock. Went through a phase liking every brand better than Glock. I put them on the bottom of my list. And the more I shot them, the quicker I out-shot every other brand.
    3. Some sort of G Shock Watch. There are about 5 models That I love, so I continue putting off the purchase. Then I get more second doubts and question whether I need a more formal watch.