1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

I had a black rifle stolen out of my trunk..

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by SteelWaiting, Nov 8, 2016.

1. SteelWaiting

SteelWaiting Loaded Pockets

Yup, while I was passed out drunk inside of it. Bring on the flames! I'm aware that I am a retard. But anyways I made a police report with the LAPD. Then Torrance PD actually found my rifle about half a year later while busting somebody. My rifle was being held as evidence and they told me to call them back after the court case. It's been 10 months now since he first called me to notify that my rifle has been found. I call him and I always get the machine or he's not there. I finally got a hold of him this morning, but I don't think he was enthused about releasing the rifle back to me. He said he was going to see what's going on and would call me back. I don't think I'm going to get a call back soon :p :( Anybody have any experience with having their firearms stolen?

2. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

I assume you have all the proper paperwork to prove it is yours and you did all the stuff CA requires?

3. SteelWaiting

Yeah I still got the original receipt and dros form.. honestly if I was that detective I wouldn't give the rifle back either.. it's just a shame because I was gonna sell it when I got it back to pay for an ambulance fee I owe to Cedars Sinai

4. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Victim of a crime first, then a victim of society. Par for the course, unfortunately.

Is there an option to invoke a citizens ombudsmen or county victim services, either for actual assistance or as a veiled threat against the city? If you are getting the cold shoulder from the detective in the case, the department almost certainly condones this type of continued victimization. Worst case might require a court order for release, but that would be likely difficult and costly.

newcorps likes this.
  5. SteelWaiting

I'm not gonna lie, I had to look up the word ombudsmen. I thought you were just making up words hahah. But yes my point exactly that's why I thought I'd just chalk it up as a loss. 1300 dollar mistake. It was sweet while I knew her.

6. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Doesn't California have a gun buy-back program? You won't get close to full price, but you might get something...

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk

7. SteelWaiting

I'm pretty sure that was more like an event where the city was trying to get guns off the street no questions asked. So people would bring in the stolen gun they bought off that guy down the block 15 years ago that they never got to use (or did use) :p

8. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Go there in person. It's alot hard to blow off someone standing right infront of you. If the guy seems disinclined to assist you at that point. Ask to speak to his supervisor.

1) Noone wants some pissed off guy talking to their boss.
    2) No boss wants the hassle of some pissed off guy coming to talk to them about their employees.

Both are motivators to get you your stuff back.

9. uncleben03

uncleben03 Loaded Pockets

You were passed out drunk in your trunk? That's a serious night! :D

SteelWaiting likes this.
  10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Did you intend to state that your rifle was stolen from your trunk vice "I had my a black rifle stolen from my trunk?" The former is stating an event. The latter is stating an event in which YOU were a party to.

Jason Jamieson likes this.
  11. SteelWaiting

Well I'm gonna guess how this went since I was unconscious by this point. Co-worker from bar needed a ride so he drove himself home with me in the passenger seat. He says he asked me to go inside I denied the request so he leaves me in the car. But when he leaves me in the car none of the doors are locked except the trunk with my rifle in it. Keys are either on my carabiner attached to my belt loop or left on the seat or something. I'm not in the safest neighborhood either I'm in south central LA, I forget exactly where maybe like Hoover and 65th or something like that. It's early in the morning and two guys wake me up asking if I'm alright, I look around and all my doors are wide open including the trunk. I go to the back to look and saw that my range bag is missing. By this time I'm already an hour late to work so I gtfo there. You guys know the rest. I'm highly suspicious of my co-worker and/or the two guys that woke me.

12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

...wonder how you made it outta Hoover & 65th WITH your car! Holy miracles dude!!

13. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

You are lucky to be alive. No joke. Your co-worker needs to be reported to the cops.

14. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Let's see you fell asleep (passed out) and 'friends' helped themselves to your rifle. You filed a police report. Months later the cops find it during a bust and let you know they had it. At least they didnt let you know it was used in a shooting. You have the proper paperwork to prove you own it legally but you are just willing to piss away $1300+. Lot's of cases drag on way longer 10 months.

15. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a very expensive life lesson.

I'm kinda with MCPOWoller. You're lucky to be alive. I might chalk that up to 'Live and learn' and move on mate. No joke.. it'd have been easier to shoot or stab you. You're lucky as hell.

16. SteelWaiting

Smh.. you can say that again..
    I wish my car had a black box in it.. that probably would of helped in some way..
    Well you see it's hard even getting in contact with the detective. This time around I had to almost kind of trick them into talking to me. I was very brief on the subject matter and only gave them my phone number and 1st name. But your right who in their right mind would piss away 1300. I still have to try what Pepsi Jedi proposed before I say :censored: it.

I know man I think about this mistake all the time. I'll probably never get over it. I gotta try what you said earlier before I call it quits first

17. Zirk208

Zirk208 Loaded Pockets

If the case isn't settled, you aren't getting the rifle back. The rifle itself is the evidence, and the courts may require the state to bring forth the "best evidence" in the event it goes to a trial. The rifle is the "best evidence" and the defense may not stipulate to allowing just pictures or your description.

The detective isn't blowing you off as much as he is just dealing with his current ongoing cases. His case load din't start/stop with your case alone. He probably has dozens of people just like you all wanting answers yesterday.

See if you can speak to the individual in charge of the evidence/property room. They are the ones who book in, catalog, handle, and arrange the release of property. Your detective stopped caring about your case when Johnny BadGuy got arrested. It's not personal, he just has a lot going on, and active cases take priority over closed ones.

SteelWaiting likes this.
  18. Zirk208

Zirk208 Loaded Pockets

If you strike out with the LE side of things, a call to the assigned prosecutor/DA may help in getting it released, as the case is now in their hands.

19. SteelWaiting

Actually the officers in the evidence too are the ones I've been in contact with the most. They always try to help but there's really nothing they can do, the most they can do is tell me if the evidence is waiting to be released and transfer me to the decision the detective is in. All I have is a case number and a name I don't feel like bothering this detective, I'm sure he is way busy taking care of other cases this I know. But it's hard to get info from him being that I only have got to talk to him twice this year out of the 10+ times I've tried to contact him. Again I'm not bashing this detective nor do I blame him for anything at all. I'm just presenting facts of this situation. Again all of this could've been avoided if I wasn't a bumbling stumbling town idiot! Lesson learned.

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

SteelWaiting, it may that the detective does not believe your original story. Granted, that should have nothing to do with getting your gun back, since he is not investigating the original incident. In all likelihood, it is in the limbo of pending court cases under which the overwhelmed judicial system labors.

I hope the main life-lesson that you have gained out of this is not to get so drunk that you pass out. All manner of crimes surround that level of intoxication, many of them far worse than being robbed. If you are going to drink to an excess (still not recommended), make sure that you are around people that you trust and that you do not have car keys or access to a firearm. I am glad that you were not seriously hurt - things could have turned out far worse.

SteelWaiting likes this.